We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Poll Question : where should the stimulus go??
Choice Votes Statistics
3.73 gears for my 2000 mustang 4.6 1 14 %
soxhlet extractor set up 6 85 %

gears or soxhlet Options

psychosisdoses
#1 Posted : 4/25/2009 12:26:30 AM

Derek

got my money from uncle sam but cant make my mind up what to splurge on... on one hand iv wanted for along time a soxhlet extractor and know pretty much what i want to go with this and this as for heat i was thinking a digital hotplate or just a really accurate one i guess im open to suggestion here as i want quality but i dont want to spend 300 some dollers...

on the other hand i got a mustang and love to go fast.. what id like to do to it next is swap out the long legged 3.27 ring and pinion for some 3.73's (very interested to see what that will do to my top end, fastest iv toped it out at was 146mph something like 2500-3000 rpm in fifth.. that was its limit)

i want both equally but i can only afford one of them... ugh decisions

"once youve locked yourself into a serious drug collection the tendency is to push it as far as you can..." - hunter s. thompson

~~~~~~~~...You are me and i am you, i will always be with you...~~~~~~~~IAmUsWeYouMe~~~~~~~~
‹maxzar100› YOU are like acid
‹mattimus› dosesdosingdoses

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

burnt
#2 Posted : 4/25/2009 12:29:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

No need for a digital heating plate. Just go with basic heating mantle and round bottom flask to attach to soxlet. If you get a 3 hole round bottom flask you can always stick a thermometer in. Oh yea forgot to vote on poll. I'd go with glassware but I prefer glass to geers I guess Very happy

psychosisdoses
#3 Posted : 4/25/2009 2:28:24 AM

Derek

burnt wrote:
No need for a digital heating plate. Just go with basic heating mantle and round bottom flask to attach to soxlet. If you get a 3 hole round bottom flask you can always stick a thermometer in. Oh yea forgot to vote on poll. I'd go with glassware but I prefer glass to geers I guess Very happy

lol yes i got a passion for complicated glassware.. on the other hand driving is one of my biggest addictions.. "i wanna go fast!"

its a tough choice for me i want both equally and both would be very beneficial to me
"once youve locked yourself into a serious drug collection the tendency is to push it as far as you can..." - hunter s. thompson

~~~~~~~~...You are me and i am you, i will always be with you...~~~~~~~~IAmUsWeYouMe~~~~~~~~

psychosisdoses
#4 Posted : 4/26/2009 5:14:22 AM

Derek

i am starting to lean heavily towards the soxhlet as i think about the things i could do with it...
this is what i am thinking of getting some advice would be appreciated..

-500ml extraction apparatus

-2-neck 1000ml flat bottom boiling flask

-hot plate

ooooooorrrrr..........

SpasticSpaz
#5 Posted : 4/26/2009 7:29:05 AM
DMT-Nexus member

You're asking this question of a slightly biased audience.

I'd get the soxhlet, no question at all. Of course, my car's an eight year old Honda Civic....

psychosisdoses
#6 Posted : 4/26/2009 7:59:34 AM

Derek

SpasticSpaz wrote:
You're asking this question of a slightly biased audience.

I'd get the soxhlet, no question at all. Of course, my car's an eight year old Honda Civic....

haha yea i know i am not at all surprised at the response
to me however these things are of equal use and awesomeness
and nothing wrong with an eight year old car mines 9 years old

HappyCamper
#7 Posted : 4/26/2009 6:47:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Oooor, you could just save a bit more and get a distillation setup to go with the soxhlet. Most of the things you will need like the hotplate, pump, flask, condenser, etc you would use with both so the additional cost isn't too bad.

psychosisdoses
#8 Posted : 4/26/2009 7:17:03 PM

Derek

HappyCamper wrote:
Oooor, you could just save a bit more and get a distillation setup to go with the soxhlet. Most of the things you will need like the hotplate, pump, flask, condenser, etc you would use with both so the additional cost isn't too bad.

i already got a moderate distillation setup..
2000ml boiling flask with 300mm liebig condensor
i still need a hotplate/mantle dunno which would be better

but yea i want the soxhlet bad... about as bad as i want more speed in my car :\

benzyme
#9 Posted : 4/26/2009 10:06:31 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

save up even more and get a rotavapor, especially one with an S configuration (vertical setup). it can do either distillation or reflux
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

psychosisdoses
#10 Posted : 4/26/2009 10:34:25 PM

Derek

benzyme wrote:
save up even more and get a rotavapor, especially one with an S configuration (vertical setup). it can do either distillation or reflux

i had to google that heh looks very cool but i think i still want a soxhlet

anyone have any thoughts on that hotplate seems like it would be alright but im open to suggestion.. as for cooling the condenser thats noooo problem get a cheap pump and tubing at fish store and submerge in fish tank (thats been vacant 5 years, perhaps ill put some fishys in it too)

benzyme
#11 Posted : 4/26/2009 11:23:58 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

depends on the setup you want

round bottom flasks are better suited to fiberglass mantles. flat-bottom will work with hotplate-stirrers. Corning, Thermolyne, or Fisher Scientific are good brands for the latter, Glas-Col for the former.
if you opt for a fiberglass mantle, you'll need an input controller...Thermolyne makes these as well
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

psychosisdoses
#12 Posted : 4/26/2009 11:52:45 PM

Derek

benzyme wrote:
depends on the setup you want

round bottom flasks are better suited to fiberglass mantles. flat-bottom will work with hotplate-stirrers. Corning, Thermolyne, or Fisher Scientific are good brands for the latter, Glas-Col for the former.
if you opt for a fiberglass mantle, you'll need an input controller...Thermolyne makes these as well

it looks like this particular hotplate could work well with round or flat bottom

benzyme
#13 Posted : 4/27/2009 12:38:00 AM

analytical chemist

nice

never seen that type of mantle, but you're right; looks like it would work well with either

psychosisdoses
#14 Posted : 4/27/2009 12:52:08 AM

Derek

would the 1000ml boiling flask be alright for most applications or should i go with a 2000ml?

also i want glass wool right?

benzyme
#15 Posted : 4/27/2009 1:24:35 AM

analytical chemist

1L is fine for most apps; (2X more than what swim uses) and yes, fiberglass is standard

Dwhitty76
#16 Posted : 5/16/2009 5:20:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

hey man.... swim drives a "98" stang gt convertable (not the most eco friendly mode of transportation but lots of fun) and has a soxhlet aswell. Unfortunately due to a breakup with the girlfriend and the extrememe downsize of space and somewhat lack of privacy he hasn't used the soxhlet as of late Crying or very sad .
" Freedom from the desire for an answer is essential to the understanding of a problem." - jiddu Krishnamurti