We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Safety question. Blood pressure and psychedelics Options

Trancend
#1 Posted : 5/18/2014 2:21:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

So Im really excited to revisit the world of mescalito soon but Im a bit concerned about its effect on BP. Ive consumed san pedro before .....long time ago before this was an issue in my mind and while being stimulating I don't recall feeling particularly hypertensive. Its always been quite enjoyable.

This goes for all psychedelics as many act on the adrenergic system and phenethylamines are stimulating in nature so there are obvious reasons for concern. I really feel as though its time for me to revisit this world but this is quite the concern because Ive heard peoples BP shooting up to alarming levels on mescaline but also many other compounds including DMT.

I would like to hear from others who may have some issues with hypertension. How do you combat it if you still indulge in psychedelics that is?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Kohan
#2 Posted : 5/18/2014 6:21:43 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Smile
Im on bisoprolol and Amlodipine witch are beta-blocker 1 and calcium channel blocker.
Now even the slightest drugs give me tachycardia, even mushroom so when i visit the realm, i tend to redose bisoprolol just in case but its risky cause too much drop in the BP/HR will likely cause a reflex tachycardia.

But beware!! psychedelics may boost BP but just as much can decrease blood pressure !!
Had a friend nearly die of cardiac arrest on 1 tab of DOC, witch is a potent psychedelic amphetamine.. so you never knows really.

Trancend
#3 Posted : 5/18/2014 7:15:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Damn, this really does nothing but add to the confusion Sad. The truth hurts I suppose. Your friend that took the DOC, was he/she in poor cardiovascular health? Or was this just an unusual reaction? Was it an unsually high dose??

Hopefully someone can give some helpful advice besides abstaining from psychedelics all together which would be the obvious answer.

Earthwalker
#4 Posted : 5/18/2014 7:18:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It's strange that this topics comes just as I've been in the last three doses of DMT I've got very dizzy to the point of me feeling like passing out or go into convulltitions but every other time bar the last three I was fine , but recently I've been put on coversyl BP meds and I'm also over weight !!

rahlii
#5 Posted : 5/18/2014 8:14:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey earth walker. I am on perindopril / indapamide for hypertension too. This medication does not negatively interact with ayahuasca so you should be free to drink on that front. There is a thread specific to this medicine in the health and safety forum if you would like to confirm.

Regarding hypertension and dmt. I do not drink caffine. I have also given up drinking alcohol and smoking tobbacco. I keep up my fitness by exercising and eating well, making sure I get plenty of omega 3 fats for cardio health.

Got to keep in shape if you want to use dmt when you have hypertension. I also got hypertension at a very young age through damage to my kidney so have to live with it for a very long time. If I don't I'll be dead at 55 or so and pretty pissed I didn't get my act together for a long healthy life.

I do smoke changa every now and again but I think it is worth the risk to my health. I wouldn't want to smoke it to regular though.
From where is the noise?

Trancend
#6 Posted : 5/18/2014 8:04:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for the info about DMT. Its one of the reasons Im worried to try DMT. Hopefully someone can chime in on mescaline use and hypertension.

rahlii
#7 Posted : 5/18/2014 8:42:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've never had a problem with mescaline and blood pressure. Can't remember if I have check my bp while on it but I have the following day and found it better then usual. I then read soon after that cactus is used traditionally to treat high blood pressure.

You might need to look into that a little further yourself but that is my perspective. I'd be more worried about dmt as it sure ramps it up.

Maybe start low (300mg) and if you have a bp monitor take a record. Then work your way up. It would be interesting to post your results in the thread to clear things up a little. Maybe also take a reading a couple days before and after and maybe a week later to see how mescaline effects bp.
From where is the noise?

Trancend
#8 Posted : 5/18/2014 8:53:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That's odd unless there are other active alkaloids in the cactus that may lower blood pressure. Mescaline is a phenthylamine which is a stimulating psychedelic by its nature. It feels similar to LSD for me and LSD works on the adrenergic system which can get the BP going. Now I know that LSD is an erogoline/tryptamine but my point is that is mesc feels anything like that its stimulating effects must be even more extreme. Mescaline I believe also does that and then some, because its a stimulant int its molecular structure. I apprecaiate your anecdotal feedback as sometimes that's more important than "studies". I really want to try DMT but somethings been telling me not to. I wonder if psilocybin is about as safe as ayahuasca in this regard. Its just that it seems all psychedelics get your blood pumping even if they give you a sedated effect like mushrooms sometimes do.

Trancend
#9 Posted : 5/18/2014 9:14:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Also so anyone with high BP have any recommendations on helping to lower it for your psychonautical journeys? Hopefully some of you will be able to add to this thread with your methods. Unfortunatly high BP is a matter of life and death so it must be addressed and not ignored.

I know of several natural medicines you can start using in order to lower it drastically. On par with many medications. Beet juice, at about 6-8 oz a day has been shown to lower systolic and diastolic BP around 10-11% total. Beets are the most effective natural medicine I have ever used for BP. The other is ironically Nepal cactus or rather its reddish fruits....I don't know much about them but apparently they are high on the list of effective natural medicines. And finally another one that I use myself is hibiscus tea. Buy the raw hibiscus loose herb from your local health food store and brew about 5 teaspoons into a tea. This is a daily dose of powerful blood pressure reducing medicine. Do your research on these and you will find that there is plenty of scientific evidence to back it up.

Im wondering if you already have hypertension will these medicines be "overpwered" by the side effects of the pyshcedelics as opposed to a heart healthier person? Is all this preventative enough to where you now only assume the risk of a person without BP issues? Either way guys if you are hypertensive and you are going to embark on the psychedelic journeys I highly recommend these natural medicines that I have listed. I have been into healing myself naturally all my life. Fuck the pharma industry. I can attest to these as being some of my most effective medicines for cardiovascular well being.

Now we all know that vasoconstriction is inevitable with all psychedelics to some degree and VC also puts strain on your BP so it would be wise to reduce the VC caused by these substances for further safety measures. Some good vasodilators are cayenne peppers and ginger root so it may be wise to look further into using these herbs before ingesting some of our favorite compounds. Hopefully I can prevent at least one tragedy with this post.

-regards

Kohan
#10 Posted : 5/19/2014 2:55:41 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Trancend wrote:
Damn, this really does nothing but add to the confusion Sad. The truth hurts I suppose. Your friend that took the DOC, was he/she in poor cardiovascular health? Or was this just an unusual reaction? Was it an unsually high dose??

No he is in great shape no meds, thats the joke + there was severe respiratory depression at one point.

Heart crisis happening in middle of a psychedelic storm isnt very fun, its dead serious.

So to all of you take care Smile

Algodritmo
#11 Posted : 5/22/2019 9:35:26 AM

eclectic

I remember reading in one of Alexander Shulgin reports, before tripping, he mentioned something like "pre medicating myself with X drug", and I googled it and it was a blood pressure control drug.
Does anyone remember the name of the drug?
Would that be advisable for "normal" people, to take a mild control pill in advance just to avoid huge spikes?

BTW, has anyone actually measured how much of a spike it brings? I know that it would be different for every person, but a range...
Let's be honest: the Questionnaire is toooooo long and deep!

"One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws" - Martin Luther King