We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
first timer Options

Eezergoode
#1 Posted : 5/2/2009 6:42:43 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hey guys, first off great site been coming here for a while reading the forums been a great source of information.

swim got 250g of powdered MHRB and was gonna use lazy man's for it this is his first time, he have a few things he needs to get sorted out first off.

he read that in these steps here it will take less time if it is powdered is this true? How long should he be leaving and mashing the mixture for?

"Wait an hour for the lye/sodium hydroxide to soften up the root bark and then using a stainless steel potato masher stir and mash the base adjusted water into the pieces of root bark for 20-30 minutes and then pour in 250+ ml of naphtha into the bowl and mix for another 20-30 minutes. After you are done mixing the root bark let it sit for a few minutes so that any emulsion which might have stirred up into the solvent to settle out and then just pour the majority of the solvent off of the top of the basified aqueous mix into a large flat glass baking pan and evaporate with a fan blowing air across the top of the fluid to net 600-1000 mg of alkaloid in just a few hours."

Also the part where you need to take the naphtha off the top of the mix whats the best way to do this with out getting any of the other stuff in it?

hes also thinking of just using some of the root bark since this is my first time should i do that or just get the whole lot in?

thanks guys =]
Now marching through time.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Xstacy
#2 Posted : 5/2/2009 7:31:47 PM
DMT-Nexus member

First and foremost, patience.
Quote:
he read that in these steps here it will take less time if it is powdered is this true? How long should he be leaving and mashing the mixture for?

Powder increase surface area (remember chem 101) this helps expose bark to the basic water and speed the reaction.

Since you are using powder you have no need to mash anything. Ignore that step. Mashing is increase surface area.

Quote:
Also the part where you need to take the naphtha off the top of the mix whats the best way to do this with out getting any of the other stuff in it?

Turkey baster or eye dropper. Patience.

Quote:
hes also thinking of just using some of the root bark since this is my first time should i do that or just get the whole lot in?

Using the straight bark will require mashing or days or sitting in high PH water. SWIM's first ever pull was this way and it was very little. He powdered up the rest and pull a gram at least in about half the product you are using here. SWIM says stick with the powder. Its chemistry 101.
All illegal narcotics are medicinal. Boredom is a disease worse than cancer. Drugs cure it, with little or no side effects if used as directed - Doug Stanhope.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson

Eezergoode
#3 Posted : 5/2/2009 9:08:04 PM
DMT-Nexus member

nice one thanks for the reply mate =] swim will get something to remove the naphtha.

when i was saying about using some of the MHRB meant should i use all my root bark in one go, its all powder.

thanks again

tryptographer
#4 Posted : 5/2/2009 9:39:24 PM

tryptamine photographer

I'd first gain some experience with small batches. Also, if something goes wrong you haven't lost everything. And handling liters of concentrated lye is a serious hazard. I once lost my fingerprints for a week because of a few spilled drops.

Have some patience: that freshly evaporated stuff can be harsh! If there is any lye residu in it, it hasn't had time to react with CO2 in the air to sodium carbonate, so wash it or give it some time! This is not idle speculation, I'm speaking of experience.

trancepants
#5 Posted : 5/4/2009 6:32:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Scratch the lazyman's tek and go with an STB a la Noman. Best, and first, advice SWIM got on this site.
I can create anything with my mind. Including fiction, which this is.

Eezergoode
#6 Posted : 5/5/2009 7:21:46 PM
DMT-Nexus member

thanks trancepants i think hes gonna go with norman's the only problem is the freezer its not gonna be practical to leave it there over night if you know what i mean, can just a evaporation and a fan work?

How man naphtha pulls can he do from 100g of bark? How much spice can be expected? i know this is first time so im not expecting too much, i should get enough for a good few hits tho?

tomorrow is the big day

thanks again =]

DarkShaman
#7 Posted : 5/5/2009 8:30:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

trancepants wrote:
Scratch the lazyman's tek and go with an STB a la Noman. Best ... advice SWIM got on this site.

Ditto, yung cuzzin

MalargueZiggy
#8 Posted : 5/5/2009 8:50:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey man good luck.

---> Syringes work well to separate the layers from each other, eye dropper works well when you only have a little bit left.

I noticed you're gonna for the evap method. A good tip I picked up from someone on here is to stretch cling film over the top of your container and prick holes in it to let the naphtha evap from. This minimises getting dust and other crap mixed in with it all.

There's no 'set' amount of pulls you need to do with 100g, keep pulling for as long as you can to try and get the maximum out, but 4 or 5 should do it.

If you want another tip, warm your naphtha before you use it to increase the yields.

The best way to do this is by making a heat bath; never directly heat it or have naked flames near it. Boil a pan of water and sit your container with the naphtha in it for 15 mins. My friend uses a pyrex jug, other ppl use a mason jar.

I would definitely recommend investing in a pyrex jug or two if you have one, guarantees it won't crack.
"Language is a cracked kettle on which we beat out tunes for bears to dance to, while all the time we long to move the stars to pity." - Flaubert

I do not engage in or condone illegal activities. Most of what I write is on behalf of people I've bumped into, usually several years ago and in countries where the things I mention are legal.

Eezergoode
#9 Posted : 5/6/2009 10:24:05 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ok swim has started the extraction now,hes added 150ml of naphtha to mix and hes leaving it to sit for a while. He says he can see the layer clearly forming but there is small yellow/white/brown specks in it, is this correct? does it matter? how long would be an ideal time to leave it for quick pull(2 hrs tops?)

Xstacy
#10 Posted : 5/6/2009 10:54:14 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Everything should eventually move down out of the naptha. The naptha should turn a yellowish piss color(light not completely dehydrated). You do not want any brown dots in your pull. 2hrs should be fine. SWIM is actually going to wait 24hrs , with a few end over end mixes throughout when he adds his naptha.
All illegal narcotics are medicinal. Boredom is a disease worse than cancer. Drugs cure it, with little or no side effects if used as directed - Doug Stanhope.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson

Spock's Brain
#11 Posted : 5/6/2009 12:00:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The best way to seperate the layers is with a sep funnel.

The warmer the solvent is, the more power to dissolve it will have. But don't exceed the BP of the substance, say 140F is safe. Mix it up vigourusly for a few minutes and allow it to settle out before seperation, do 2-3 pulls is all you need.

After seperation, just pour the clear liquid off any remaining emulsion/debri, into your evaporation plate. Add the remnant left in your pouring beaker back to your main vessel that you've left you basified potion in for the following pull.

On what you think is your last pull, pour a tablespoon amount onto a mirror or clean glass plate for quick evaporation. If it leaves little or no visible residue then you know you've transfered all your going to with that pull and the previous pulls.

Other solvents have more dissolving power than naptha for the wanted substance, such as heptane.

Better to do a freeze precipitation, than an evaporation.

PS: better to process as much material as you can confidently handle at one time.
"Infinite Diversity, in Infinite Combinations."

trancepants
#12 Posted : 5/6/2009 7:57:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Xstacy wrote:
SWIM is actually going to wait 24hrs , with a few end over end mixes throughout when he adds his naptha.

SWIM prefers to use a gallon pickle jar and stir rigorously for three minutes, let it seperate, repeat, repeat, pull. Seems to get larger, dirtier yields. Ahh, the jungle spice..
I can create anything with my mind. Including fiction, which this is.

Xstacy
#13 Posted : 5/7/2009 6:08:12 AM
DMT-Nexus member

trancepants wrote:
Xstacy wrote:
SWIM is actually going to wait 24hrs , with a few end over end mixes throughout when he adds his naptha.

SWIM prefers to use a gallon pickle jar and stir rigorously for three minutes, let it seperate, repeat, repeat, pull. Seems to get larger, dirtier yields. Ahh, the jungle spice..

SWIM has yet to get anything but white crystals and if it sits long enough can go yellow. This is just SWIMs luck he thinks.

Eezergoode
#14 Posted : 5/7/2009 7:12:03 AM
DMT-Nexus member

nice one thanks for the help guys swims got it sitting on a tray just now evaporating, he hasnt checked it today but there was deffenetly
something there last night. Was a really fun day yesterday even if not much comes of it alot has been learned.

thanks =]

Xstacy
#15 Posted : 5/7/2009 10:10:35 AM
DMT-Nexus member

If you are evaping you should get everything that was there. The spice simply redissolved into the naptha as it warmed.

Eezergoode
#16 Posted : 5/13/2009 8:59:23 PM
DMT-Nexus member

OK so i done my first extraction i left it in the tray to evaporate. The stuff that i thought was there turned out to be just crap from the air there was no DMT in there. I started another extraction yesterday and today. I left it for 24 hrs this time to soak the root bark and stirred the naphtha well till it had a yellow "tint" to it. Ive left the tray out with a fan blowing over it. The naphtha still has a yellow tint and there seems to be a kind of cloudy white substance in it. How long will i need to wait before i know if there is anything there? I'm just getting a bit paranoid after the last time failed Razz