We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Scientist Says Psychedelic Brew Consumed by Amazonian Shamans Could Fight Cancer Options

Entheogenerator
#1 Posted : 1/28/2014 9:21:16 AM

Homo discens

I wasn't sure where to post this between Health & Safety, the Ayahuasca subforum, or the Science subforum... I figured Health and Lifestyle seems appropriate. Thumbs up

Interesting article, I look forward to reading about further research on this subject. Your thoughts?

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/01/27/scientist-says-psychedelic-brew-consumed-by-amazonian-shamans-could-fight-cancer/

Quote:
A powerful psychedelic brew consumed by shamans deep in the Amazon could help in the fight against cancer and should be researched, according to a Brazilian scientist.

Ayahuasca — meaning the “vine of the souls” – is traditionally prepared using the Banisteriopsis caapi vine and Psychotria viridis leaves, though other combinations of plants are sometimes used. Psychotria viridis contains N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT) in the leaves, while Banisteriopsis caapi contains beta-carbolines such as harmine and harmaline.

For centuries, the psychedelic brew has been used in shamanistic healing rituals. A Natural Geographic reporter who participated in an ayahuasca ritual described the experience as “terrifying—but enlightening.”

Eduardo E. Schenberg of the Federal University of Sao Paulo thinks some of the healing powers attributed to ayahuasca deserve scientific attention, particularly when it comes to cancer.

“There is enough available evidence that ayahuasca’s active principles, especially DMT and harmine, have positive effects in some cell cultures used to study cancer, and in biochemical processes important in cancer treatment, both in vitro and in vivo,” he wrote in an article published in SAGE Open Medicine. ”Therefore, the few available reports of people benefiting from ayahuasca in their cancer treatment experiences should be taken seriously, and the hypothesis presented here, fully testable by rigorous scientific experimentation, helps to understand the available cases and pave the way for new experiments.”

Rumors of ayahuasca helping people with cancer are common, according to Schenberg, and there are at least nine case reports of cancer patients using ayahuasca during their treatment. Of these nine reports, three showed improvements after consuming the psychedelic brew.

Rumors and less than a dozen case reports are hardly substantial evidence. But the physiological effects of the drug suggests there might be some truth behind them, Schenberg said.

DMT produces a powerful psychedelic experience by binding to serotonin receptors in the brain. More importantly, for Schenberg, the drug also binds to the sigma 1 receptor, which is found throughout the body and is involved in many cellular functions. The sigma 1 receptor appears to be implicated in the death signalling of cancer cells.

In addition, harmine has been shown to induce the death of some cancer cells and inhibit the proliferation of human carcinoma cells.

Other physiological factors suggest the combination of DMT and harmine could have medically-important antitumor effects, though more research is need.

“In summary, it is hypothesized that the combined actions of β-carbolines and DMT present in ayahuasca may diminish tumor blood supply, activate apoptotic pathways, diminish cell proliferation, and change the energetic metabolic imbalance of cancer cells, which is known as the Warburg effect,” Schenberg wrote. ”Therefore, ayahuasca may act on cancer hallmarks such as angiogenesis, apoptosis, and cell metabolism.”

DMT is currently prohibited as a Schedule I drug by the U.S. Controlled Substances Act and the international Convention on Psychotropic Substances. The drug is relatively unknown compared to other illicit substances like cannabis, but researchers have found that DMT appears to be increasing in popularity.

“If ayahuasca is scientifically proven to have the healing potentials long recorded by anthropologists, explorers, and ethnobotanists, outlawing ayahuasca or its medical use and denying people adequate access to its curative effects could be perceived as an infringement on human rights, a serious issue that demands careful and thorough discussion,” Schenberg wrote.

Personally, I think it is a human rights violation to outlaw the use of naturally-occurring entheogens regardless. But that is a discussion for another time in another thread. Smile

I apologize if this has already been posted somewhere else. I used the search function and skimmed through a few subforums, but did not see it anywhere.
"It's all fun and games until someone loses an I" - Ringworm
Attitude PageHealth & SafetyFAQKnown Substance InteractionsExtraction TeksThe Machine

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 1/28/2014 9:40:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting, thanks for posting Smile

Would be interesting to get a copy of this article he wrote.

Entheogenerator
#3 Posted : 1/28/2014 9:49:45 AM

Homo discens

endlessness wrote:
Interesting, thanks for posting Smile

Would be interesting to get a copy of this article he wrote.

Here ya go, endlessness Wink

http://smo.sagepub.com/content/1/2050312113508389.full

EDIT: PDF Version
Attitude PageHealth & SafetyFAQKnown Substance InteractionsExtraction TeksThe Machine

endlessness
#4 Posted : 1/28/2014 12:08:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for sharing Smile

He proposes some interesting mechanisms through which ayahuasca could help with cancer, though at this point it doesn`t seem very solid IMO. Using case studies and anecdotal evidence can be flawed due to confirmation bias (you hear about the cases that work, but not about the others that dont).

Or in other words, at this point I wouldn`t tell all cancer patients to drop their treatment and take ayahuasca, but I would of course like to see more research in this area since it may prove helpful for some cases under some circumstances? And as the author himself says, it is totally testable, so let`s wait to see what the future.

arcologist
#5 Posted : 1/28/2014 4:45:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I saw this earlier. It seems scientifically sound from my initial research. The sigma-1 receptor for which DMT is an endogenous ligand is associated with cell apoptosis (programmed cell death) which is used to cull cancerous cells. Definitely worthy of further investigation.

Sabnock
#6 Posted : 1/28/2014 6:57:03 PM
DMT-Nexus member

"Therefore, ayahuasca may act on cancer hallmarks such as angiogenesis, apoptosis, and cell metabolism."

Sounds like what Cannabis Oil is supposed to do to cancer. Kill the cancer cells by apoptosis and it inhibits the growth and formation of blood vessels that tumors need for the blood supply thus shrinking tumors.

Entheogenerator
#7 Posted : 1/28/2014 7:00:48 PM

Homo discens

endlessness wrote:
Thanks for sharing Smile

He proposes some interesting mechanisms through which ayahuasca could help with cancer, though at this point it doesn`t seem very solid IMO. Using case studies and anecdotal evidence can be flawed due to confirmation bias (you hear about the cases that work, but not about the others that dont).

Or in other words, at this point I wouldn`t tell all cancer patients to drop their treatment and take ayahuasca, but I would of course like to see more research in this area since it may prove helpful for some cases under some circumstances? And as the author himself says, it is totally testable, so let`s wait to see what the future.

Yea, that was basically my initial reaction. I really look forward to more research on the matter. Here's another very relevant article from Scientific American.

End the Ban on Psychoactive Drug Research

Quote:
"LSD, ecstasy (MDMA), psilocybin and marijuana have, for decades, been designated as drugs of abuse. But they had their origins in the medical pharmacopeia. Through the mid-1960s, more than 1,000 scientific publications chronicled the ways that LSD could be used as an aid to make psychotherapy more effective. Similarly, MDMA began to be used as a complement to talk therapy in the 1970s. Marijuana has logged thousands of years as a medicament for diseases and conditions ranging from malaria to rheumatism.

National laws and international conventions put a stop to all that. The Controlled Substances Act of 1970 declared that these drugs have “no currently accepted medical use” and classified them in the most stringently regulated category of controlled substances: Schedule I. The resulting restrictions create a de facto ban on their use in both laboratories and clinical trials, setting up a catch-22: these drugs are banned because they have no accepted medical use, but researchers cannot explore their therapeutic potential because they are banned. Three United Nations treaties extend similar restrictions to much of the rest of the world.

The decades-long research hiatus has taken its toll. Psychologists would like to know whether MDMA can help with intractable post-traumatic stress disorder, whether LSD or psilocybin can provide relief for cluster headaches or obsessive-compulsive disorder, and whether the particular docking receptors on brain cells that many psychedelics latch onto are critical sites for regulating conscious states that go awry in schizophrenia and depression."...

Entheogenerator
#8 Posted : 1/29/2014 8:19:11 AM

Homo discens

Sorry for the double post, but I had a question that came to mind while reading the original article. Perhaps someone with medical knowledge pertaining to the metabolic system can shed some light on this:

If the ideas proposed by Eduardo E Schenberg in this article were confirmed (emphasis on the hypothetical nature of this question), is there any reason that changa would not have the same effect? I mean, a person using changa is taking the same chemical constituents into their body as a person using ayahuasca, but obviously there are some pronounced differences in the way changa and aya effect a person.

Al Dimentiz
#9 Posted : 2/11/2014 8:26:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

MERGED

Excellent Journal About Ayahuasca and Cancer Treatment.

PDF Version

I've been reading this paper for 20 minutes now and I'm fascinated by it, so I thought about sharing it with our Comunity.

Here's the direct link;

http://m.smo.sagepub.com...050312113508389.full.pdf

"The Medicine Will Always Be There For Those Who Seek It"

upload
#10 Posted : 2/11/2014 11:25:45 PM

go deep

Interesting read. Nice find!

cave paintings
#11 Posted : 4/23/2014 5:35:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes I've been working through this article lately and reading about the sigma receptors. I'm lucky enough to have an opportunity these next couple years to be interning in brain cancer research (more specifically synergistic chemotherapy combinations, and improving antibody-directed prodrug delivery methods). I'd like to further explore some of aya's mechanisms.. but I know there's politics where I'll work, and I'm only a biology undergrad so I'll hold very little sway I'm sure.
Here's some cool related papers I've been chugging through on the anticancer action of harmalas and another paper on sigma receptors.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih....pmc/articles/PMC3841998/
http://www.sciencedirect...le/pii/S0014299910008903
Harmala articles ^^
http://onlinelibrary.wil...i/10.1002/med.20218/full
Sigma receptors and their ligands in cancer biology
Living to Give

anon_003
#12 Posted : 4/23/2014 6:32:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

UNBELIEVABLY AWESOME,

keep up the incredible work. We are all in debt. You are going to do amazing things.

Rootin for you,

sunshine

Once in a while, you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Cognitive Heart
#13 Posted : 4/23/2014 7:26:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Incredible discovery! I read about this via another website. Ayahuasca has natural healing abilities that open humans to other dimensions of profound visions. People who encounter this plant mixture often experience heavy purge-like effects such as sweating, vomiting and diarrhea. These effects may have some detoxifying properties to them, whereby toxins are heavily absorbed through the body.

---

Here is a good body of evidence that was found in the internal files above.

Quote:
"Beta-carboline alkaloids of P. harmala are shown to have immune-modulatory effects in several studies. Extracts of this plant have significant anti-inflammatory effect via the inhibition of some inflammatory mediators including prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) (100 μg/mg) and tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-α) μg/mg)."
Quote:

The modulation of prostaglandin can result in numerous benefits towards the overall tone of the body including anti-inflammatory activity by which the body protects itself from oxidative damage. This anti-oxidant activity can swarm off cancer cells if powerful enough. Three to six sessions of Ayahuasca sessions would be enough to experience any health promoting benefits such as enhancing anti-cancer processes within the body. Tumor necrosis factor is also activated from the various harmine compounds.

A complete source of healing, in my opinion.

Thumbs up
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.