We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Pyrex Labware?? Options

VisualDistortion
#1 Posted : 5/11/2009 12:41:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey guys, there is an old distillation set up on ebay that I'm looking at. The manufacturer is kimble and it is made from pyrex. And as I remember someone saying, pyrex used to mean it was made from brosilicate right? Also, should I bother with a set that uses 19/22 joint sizes. Kind of an off size don't you think?
You lock the door, and throw away the key

There's someone in my head but it's not me

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

benzyme
#2 Posted : 5/11/2009 2:13:44 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

pyrex, kimax, simax, bomex, kimble/kontes, borosil, Ace glass, Labglass, Quark glass, etc.. they're all borosilicate glass.

19/22 is a semi-micro/macroscale size, so is 14/20. 24/40 is the old-school (though still used) US macroscale standard , 29/42 is standard in Europe.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

VisualDistortion
#3 Posted : 5/11/2009 3:16:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Damn, got outbid at the last second
You lock the door, and throw away the key

There's someone in my head but it's not me