We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV3031323334NEXT»
Acacia and Mimosa Identification Thread Options

lemmy
#621 Posted : 3/16/2014 1:28:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I hope It's okay to post a thread of another forum here.

If not, sorry mods, please delete.

Here is a link to more of these pics on the shroomery.

http://www.shroomery.org...flat.php/Number/19703066

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

--Shadow
#622 Posted : 3/19/2014 12:36:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

There is actually a very simple classification system for the identification of plants. The system uses botanical Latin names.

All plants are identified according to a binomial system (--bi meaning two, --nom meaning
name). So all plants have two names - the genus and the species. So Acacia Acuminata, -genus=Acacia -species-Acuminata

The way we identify people using names is using a Family name (genus) and a Given name (species). The genus name is to identify you generically, and the species name identifies you specifically.

When we come across two people of the same family (genus) and given name (species), we cannot use the same name to identify them, as they look slightly different from each other. Where we would use nickname to identify one from the other (Margaret, Margie, Marg, Maggy etc), with plants we use variety (var.)

The variety (var.) is a subgroup name in which the plant differs only slightly from the species. In Latin, the notation ".var" follows the genus and species. eg Acacia confusa var. inamurai

A subspecies cannot be recognized in isolation. The subspecies classification ( "subsp." or "ssp." ) is either a taxonomic rank subordinate to species, or a taxonomic unit in that rank. A species will either be recognized as having no subspecies at all or two or more (including any that are extinct), never just one.

Some of the more common Latin names included in the species name are:

--carpa
--oides
--phylla
--folia
--neura

--carpa in Latin means "fruit"
--oides or --odes means "like" or "in the form of"
--folia is plural for "Folium", which means "a thin leaflike stratum or layer". The geometric meaning is "part of a curve terminated at both ends by the same node"
--neura refers to nerves, meaning "lines or veins"

Each Latin botanical name is actually a fascinating puzzle that can tell you a great deal about the plant and how it is identified.

A. Longifolia ( Longi=long, folia=leaves)
A. Deuteroneura (Deutero=second, neura=veins)
A. Retinodes ( Rhetine=Greek for 'resin of the pine’, oides=like.
Throughout recorded time and long before, trees have stood as sentinels, wise yet silent, patiently accumulating their rings while the storms of history have raged around them --The living wisdom of trees, Fred Hageneder

--Shadow
#623 Posted : 3/22/2014 9:18:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Came across these on my bushwalk in NSW today. I'm optimistic about these red branches. Can anyone ID?
- No pods present.
- Racemes have 9 buds on each globular head
- Stipules present

Pretty sure it's one of the following:

A. alaticaulis
A. kulnurensis (leaning towards this)
A. terminalis
OR
A. pubescens

--Shadow attached the following image(s):
A1.JPG (1,832kb) downloaded 121 time(s).
A2.JPG (3,221kb) downloaded 118 time(s).
A5.JPG (3,117kb) downloaded 118 time(s).
A7.JPG (2,023kb) downloaded 117 time(s).
Throughout recorded time and long before, trees have stood as sentinels, wise yet silent, patiently accumulating their rings while the storms of history have raged around them --The living wisdom of trees, Fred Hageneder

--Shadow
#624 Posted : 3/22/2014 9:32:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Also living with them... A. linifolia

- Again, no pods present
- phyllodes are 2mm wide, 3-4.5cm long
--Shadow attached the following image(s):
A6.JPG (2,776kb) downloaded 174 time(s).

DreaMTripper
#625 Posted : 3/22/2014 9:34:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

AlwaysSearching wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a few Acacias and am hoping to get an opinion from yourselves. Shame its not flowering time to make this easier. I do recall seeing these tree flower classic yellow blooms.

Any ideas what I have here? Im in South East QLD. Im very green with ID's but it could be :

Acacia falcata
Acacia longifolia
Acacia auriculiformis

Would certainly prefer to get your opinion before unnecessarily pruning and going to the trouble of a fruitless preparation.

Many thanks,
Matt

The 6th photo down looks a good candidate for a.obtusifolia ... a.obtusifolia Prune cleanly and mindfully no need to take root bark or trunk bark phyllodes have good content percentage.

nen888
#626 Posted : 3/30/2014 1:32:59 PM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

^..there are several photos in the acacia info thread showing that species dead a year or two after bark has been taken
..it is not a good thing to do..

--Shadow i'd say you have A. terminalis..

and lastly new members can post in this thread

there has been a spate of ID question threads that should be directed here

lemmy
#627 Posted : 4/2/2014 5:43:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Smile wrote:
Hey guys hoping for an id on some acacias from southern vietnam. My friend says this about them, im not entirely sure on i.d's

First lot possible acacia Angustissima

The big trees I reckon are either the Acacia Auriculiformis, Acacia Longfolia or the acacia Mangium or even the Acacia Maidenii

The small one could be Acacia Seyal, Acacia Nilotica, Acacia Constricta, Acacia Concinna or Acacia Farnesiana.

I'm 99% sure the first two are Mimosa Pigra.

I suppose there is only one way to find out how active it is.

EvilSparx
#628 Posted : 4/6/2014 2:08:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm looking to identify these two species of acacia, found in coastal NSW, Australia, and help would be appreciated.

The one on the left, with the smaller, longer flowers, I believe might be Maidenii, the other one, with the shorter stubbier flowers, I have no idea.

Picture of the truck/bark

EvilSparx
#629 Posted : 4/10/2014 4:49:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

First of all, I am aware there is a thread for this, but no one seems to be answering my post, so here are some pictures of Acacias that I have found in Coastal, NSW, Australia.
It is Autumn here, so there is not much hope for flowers to help me identify them, but I'm looking for Maidenii and Obtusifolia. I can only seem to find Longifolia's at the moment, and a previous extraction of that yielded nothing.

I know it's a bit of a longshot to correctly identify them, but if anyone has any insight about what sort of species they could be, or better yet, if someone living in NSW could send a picture of the plant that they use, that would be very appreciated.
Thanks.

(1)

(2)

(3)

(4)

(5)

(6)

(7)

(Cool

(9)

(10 )

(11)

(12)

nen888
#630 Posted : 4/10/2014 12:08:19 PM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

^..the left-hand one in post#625 is probably A. floribunda,
(1) and (2) in the above post is A.complanata..
all the others, as they are beginning to flower, are apparently forms of A. longifolia..
some forms of A. longifolia are high alkaloid..see https://www.dmt-nexus.me...m=289760&#post289760

EvilSparx
#631 Posted : 4/11/2014 4:46:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

After finding information from a local council website, they stated a certain kind of forest on a certain street had a variety of trees and shrubs, one of which was Acacia Obtusifolia shrubs from 1-1.5 m tall. I went to the exact location, and did find some Acacia Shrubs, which I do think are Obtusifolia. I know I've posted here a lot, but this information is quite valuable for others as well.

The young leaves are lighter in colour at the tips, on the verge of red.

Ethnopiate
#632 Posted : 4/12/2014 1:59:58 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Whoops! Newb error, posted new topic rather than replied.
Here it is in the correct forum! Sorry! Embarrased
Hi all!
A pleasure to finally be here and posting rather than lurking and soaking up all the amazing information you guys and gals provide!
Being in the West poses it's own unique challenges and I was hoping some enlightened souls could assist with some ID and advice.
I am not really interested in root or tree bark, due to sustainability plus twigs and phylodes seem to be quite acceptable and sustainable when dealing with acuminata, taking root bark or trunk bark does not sit well with me unless the tree has fallen. I do not believe in taking from the Earth with any permanence and have already planted 16 acuminata seedlings, but they will take over 5 years until they are ready for any form of effective use, as I understand it. Seedlings in 50mm pots are only $1.30 from a nursery in our northern suburbs.
My 4 attempted extracts failed due to either a) wrong type of material or age of tree b) the wrong tek for acuminata (I have tried STB and A/B (LexTek and Lazymans)) with no success. I can buy said molecule, but I refuse as I firmly do not believe in it being used as a tool for income as well as not wishing to sully it's already negative image with the public, plus it would kick my ass no doubt as punishment!
So, my questions; I see many many acacia's along our freeways here in WA and some others at random locations around the suburbs and I have included a couple of pictures that may assist. From most reports I have read, one has to travel a good 2-3hrs out of the city to find the right species but, seeing what I have seen recently, I believe acuminata has been used quite extensively as a tool for nitrogen fixing of overworked soils, as erosion stabilisation on embankments and as a general re population tool for native scrub lands.
I have read page upon page of information and in the end I think I just have to ask the question, post some pics and hopefully be able to pass on the knowledge to others.
The first 2 pictures are of a younger tree, still greenish in skin colour, planted amongst eucalyptus. The last 2 are of an older tree but def not acuminata as it doesn't have the curved "hooks" at the tips of the phylodes common to that species and is JUST starting to flower. The final picture is of some resin I found on one of the trees. Would adding this to the brew prior to acidification be a good idea or would the resin/sap be pretty much alkaloid free? My gut tells me it out to be saturated, but with a lot of fats as well...
Many thanks, I hope I can help fellow Sandgropers in their quests!
Peace to all and thank you for your time. Thumbs up
Ethnopiate attached the following image(s):
Photo0286.jpg (1,664kb) downloaded 278 time(s).
Photo0291.jpg (1,576kb) downloaded 278 time(s).
Photo0438.jpg (1,663kb) downloaded 279 time(s).
Photo0441.jpg (1,648kb) downloaded 273 time(s).
Photo0358.jpg (1,567kb) downloaded 272 time(s).

DreaMTripper
#633 Posted : 4/13/2014 12:14:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Good attitude ethnopiate, here's a link to aid your research.. phyllodes generally need a thorough pre-extraction lysing or alcohol wash to remove the gums/tars prior to an acid boil. See acacia extraction workplace for nens method.

http://www.florabank.org...tml/Acacia_acuminata.htm

DreaMTripper attached the following image(s):
acuminata_(narrow_phyllode_variant).jpg (117kb) downloaded 261 time(s).

Ethnopiate
#634 Posted : 4/13/2014 4:15:33 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Cheers. I shall look up Nen's method, I have read many MANY posts and Nen seems to be an awesome authority on all things acacia!
I have all the ID pics for acuminata incl small seed, narrow phyllode and typical variants but actually finding the buggers is the hard bit.
I have maps for where they exist naturally (the typical variant being most prevalent), but that is a good half a day minimum round trip from the city.
Has anyone found any that exist within the suburbs, say within an hours drive of the city centre?
Ethnopiate attached the following image(s):
acuminata_(typical_variant).jpg (128kb) downloaded 240 time(s).
acuminata_(small_seed_variant).jpg (124kb) downloaded 234 time(s).

DreaMTripper
#635 Posted : 4/14/2014 4:32:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sharing of specific locations isnt allowed on the nexus. It only takes a few google searches to find the distribution of acacia acuminata by town. Besides half a day round trip is nothing! You have to put in the effort to get the rewards.

endlessness
#636 Posted : 4/15/2014 3:36:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

What is this Acacia?

It is in the neighbour`s house, and too many branches coming out into the streets and nearly blocking the sidewalk, they`re gonna need to do some serious trimming Very happy

My attempted ID is Acacia saligna, simply because I saw on the townhall`s website of the neighbouring city that this is one of the Acacias around, and a quick look at pictures seems to be similar but Im not sure of details necessariy to identify. They also say there are Acacia retinodes around, and from a quick look it seems more like saligna but I have no idea really.

Any info on alkaloids, nen? Your thread has a mention of alkaloids at 0.5% but you say it might have been misindentified..

PS: sorry for crappy cellphone pics
endlessness attached the following image(s):
Photo0384[1].jpg (2,078kb) downloaded 208 time(s).
Photo0385[1].jpg (1,524kb) downloaded 209 time(s).
Photo0386[1].jpg (2,253kb) downloaded 205 time(s).

DreaMTripper
#637 Posted : 4/15/2014 10:27:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

From what I can gather the phyllodes of retinodes are oblanceolote which is how they look in the photos.
a.saligna are generally, linear to lanceolate, straight to falcate.
A.retinodes also will flower sporadically throughout the year if that helps..

nen888
#638 Posted : 4/16/2014 4:22:24 AM
member for the trees

..in a bit of a hurry but think it's retinodes, endlessness..
a very close up image of the peduncle (the bit that attaches the phyllode to the stem) and of the lower
1cm of the phyllode would clear this up..saligna has a 'disciform' (oval) gland near the base of the phyllode, and usually a very wrinkled peduncle..
pods, which are yet to develop, would further clarify..alks see info thread..

Ethnopiate, not a lot of time right now to work out what that is..are not in the same group as acuminata..

Ethnopiate
#639 Posted : 4/18/2014 1:17:54 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I didn't think they would be, given the distribution of acuminata but the hooked tips on the first 2 pics indicated they may be related to acuminata or burkitii.
I am studying Enviro Science and Monitoring at the moment and would really like to help fellow WA enthusiasts find local and more sustainable sources for their projects as I have done several field trips now and spend the whole day out bush and it's devastating to see the damage done to so many trees that will inevitably die as a result of bad practice.
I will NOT be doing any extraction work in future as I don't want to be part of the destruction, but I would be more than happy to do a write up on alkaloid content of the myriad local species, I just need help with ID's.
Once I can afford it I shall buy a reagent kit for tests (unless a generous soul wishes to help with a donation or alternative means of testing!) and if/when I find any species with positive results I shall post my findings and seek ID's to catalogue.

Thank you all for your input, I hope I can add to the knowledge bank and be a useful contributor! Any further advice or suggestion is welcomed.

nen888
#640 Posted : 4/18/2014 2:11:05 PM
member for the trees

^..in terms of relation, Ethnopiate, the first 2 photos of yours, having a single prominent central nerve in the phyllodes (and different texture), would indicate that the tree is in sub-section Phyllodineae, rather than sub-section Juliflorae which A. acuminata is in, so it would not be closely related..
sounds like you will have a lot of fun in your research Ethnopiate...

regarding a few posts in here....flowers, along with phyllodes is really in most cases a minimum requirement for tentative ID...pods (showing seeds) are often needed too..

«PREV3031323334NEXT»