We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
The Meaning of Species and Speciation: a Genetic Perspective Options

adam
#1 Posted : 2/2/2014 1:24:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think these papers contain relatives concepts for studying plants comparatively. Not on entheogenic plants specifically but, rather on the mechanisms and concepts concerning the term species and how speciation occurs. I thought this could help shed some light on why certain species of the same genus may have alkaloids of interest while others do not. Also got me thinking about the evolution of these biosynthetic pathways and there potential causes.

The second paper is called "Some of the Evolutionary Consequences of Being a Plant" by Bradshaw

The third paper is called " Source and consequences of phenotypic and genotypic plasticity in flowering plants" by Virginia Walbot.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Father Time
#2 Posted : 2/2/2014 4:40:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sweet post!! I'll have to check out the attachments when I get to a computer Smile!!

Figure I may have something to add.. I hope this is on par with what your saying:
Here is another great link from UC Berkeley on speciation, it comes from their excellent "Evolution 101" texts from their website.
Anyone who clicks the link remember the section is over speciation so it's a few pages long
http://evolution.berkele...volibrary/article/evo_40
anything posted buy this account is 100% fiction

adam
#3 Posted : 2/2/2014 8:31:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nice find Father Time. I think your link is a better place to start for people who aren't familiar with biology, genetics, and evolution. Even for those not familiar, if you read it at your computer google is wonderful tool that can help with some of those foreign concepts!

nen888
#4 Posted : 2/3/2014 9:32:32 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..thank you adam..this is a good topic, which sometimes gets blurry edges in the plant world..

adam
#5 Posted : 3/19/2014 3:31:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Another one

ManicMongrel
#6 Posted : 4/8/2014 1:47:46 PM
DMT-Nexus member

David O. Kennedy's book Plants and the Human Brain (ISBN-13: 978-0199914012)
Explains some of the current theories for how plants make make their profile of secondary metabolites.

They have a toolbox of enzymes that produce small groups of closely related compounds, with one compound typically peaking. Then the plant can adjust which compounds in the cocktail to be dominating often through a few generations. Another example, epigentics can adjust the ratios of the different co-enzymes resulting in some products formed at a higher rate. The plant wont have to wait for the genes to mutate, it already has an enormous library of blueprints to sort out a competitive factory layout. Which to some degree is transferred to the next generation, so the offspring wont have to start from scratch.

As an example, the Echinopsis family of cacti has among others a family of mescaline related compounds. If for example the cactus needs to adjust feeding and reproduction behavior of local herbivorous insects, to use them as efficient pollinators without suffering too much bite marks. Then the cactus will adjust the cocktail to get the most of the local insect population, still each compound has several uses and side effects good and bad. So from this it doesn't take many generations to change the local makeup, on top of this the local populations exchange genetics through hybridization with related species to import any useful adaptions. Hybrids have a really tough time competing, with its low rate of reproductive offspring, leading to only a few of their genes to live on in the long run.

This might explain the confusing classification of trichocereus species, it can be a real challenge to find a genetic representative of a cactus species today, imagine 50 years ago. E. Pachanoi is notorious for when it comes to random alkaloid profile, but that could just reflect flexibility.

Because of the blurry classifications of species I wouldn't trust the oldest cactus screenings, chemical testing methods are another chapter. Many plant families, especially cacti and cannabis, are very flexible when it comes to adjusting the profile of secondary metabolites to local conditions. Alkaloids aren't necessarily their first choice, again those large columnar cacti might need to make staggering amounts of phenolics to deal with UV. If they can use cheaper derivatives of those phenolics for the job, why make expensive enzymes to produce high amounts of alkaloids? They will cost plenty of amines and minerals to produce both the enzymes themselves and the products.

nen888
#7 Posted : 4/8/2014 2:45:23 PM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

^ this is good info thanks ManicMongrel..

another factor in plant variability, especially in acacias, is polyploididity.. (did i spell that right? )
i wrote in a post on acacia genetics and sex
https://www.dmt-nexus.me...m=301814&#post301814
"..some acacias have 4 X chromosomes, others 8 X or even 10..this is believed to give them the very rapid adaptational ability when conditions change, leading to their relatively quick diversification as many species, and also a result of easy genetic exchange between different species..."
one sub species of A. nilotica is hexadecaploid (16 n = 208 ! )