We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Cobweb? White Fuzz? Options

Philosopher
#1 Posted : 1/8/2014 1:34:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My second flush never grew any mushrooms yet it's been a week or 2 but there was a thin wispy layer of grey covering all of my cakes. After finding some H2O2 I came back and there was a lot of white moldy looking stuff. White is usually a good sign but this didn't look like tany mycelium I had ever seen, but I am pretty new at this. I sprayed with H2O2 the grey looked like it melted somewhat and the white fuzz stayed the same. I'll upload pics of after the spray in a couple hours, to see if there's any change.
Philosopher attached the following image(s):
image.jpg (2,042kb) downloaded 198 time(s).
image.jpg (1,633kb) downloaded 201 time(s).
image.jpg (1,633kb) downloaded 198 time(s).
image.jpg (1,975kb) downloaded 199 time(s).
We are surprisingly similar.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

SHroomtroll
#2 Posted : 1/8/2014 2:51:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes look like cobweb imo. Try spraying it with water mixed with hydro peroxide and see if the mycelium can break it down.

sauSage
#3 Posted : 1/8/2014 2:51:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Philosopher wrote:
My second flush never grew any mushrooms yet it's been a week or 2 but there was a thin wispy layer of grey covering all of my cakes. After finding some H2O2 I came back and there was a lot of white moldy looking stuff. White is usually a good sign but this didn't look like tany mycelium I had ever seen, but I am pretty new at this. I sprayed with H2O2 the grey looked like it melted somewhat and the white fuzz stayed the same. I'll upload pics of after the spray in a couple hours, to see if there's any change.

cobweb mold is usually due to a lack of FAE. did you build your SGFC according to spec with 1/4" holes every 2" on all 6 sides?
"The brain is a reducing valve that restricts consciousness" - A Huxley

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" – Ralph Waldo Emerson…

"Whatever you study you also change" - Heisenberg Uncertainty principle

Philosopher
#4 Posted : 1/10/2014 2:18:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah. I cant tell if this is white mycelium or grey cobweb. The picture is hard to distinguish also, but 2 really healthy mushrooms are growing, does that mean anything?
image.jpg (2,537kb) downloaded 172 time(s).
image.jpg (2,160kb) downloaded 169 time(s).
image.jpg (2,323kb) downloaded 167 time(s).

sauSage
#5 Posted : 1/10/2014 2:43:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Philosopher wrote:
Yeah. I cant tell if this is white mycelium or grey cobweb. The picture is hard to distinguish also, but 2 really healthy mushrooms are growing, does that mean anything?

agreed, its really hard to tell by the pic. make a diluted h20 and peroxide solution and give it a little tiny squirt and see if that help. i'd also increase your FAE.

silver lining is that cobweb mold isn't harmful to you (neither is trich apparently), so if a little bit does spring up it's not the end of the world.
"The brain is a reducing valve that restricts consciousness" - A Huxley

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" – Ralph Waldo Emerson…

"Whatever you study you also change" - Heisenberg Uncertainty principle

Philosopher
#6 Posted : 1/11/2014 5:20:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Well that's a releif, I was worried about it somehow making the mushrooms dangerous even if I remove the cobweb, leftover micro mold or something. But a tiny amount like that doesn't seem bad. I'll keep using the H2O2 and increase FAE

SkyKitty
#7 Posted : 1/11/2014 2:22:07 PM
DMT-Nexus member

That is normal healthy mushroom mycelium to me. There is no need to apply h202. If your cakes are healthy and strong, they will often colonize the verm they are rolled in. Keep up with your fae and keep your dunks short, cold, and clean and the cakes will be fine.

Orion
#8 Posted : 1/11/2014 2:58:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'd give it some time, usually a cake won't contam after it has been fully colonized. This fuzz will likely begin to get knotty and start to produce pins. Keep us posted.
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

Philosopher
#9 Posted : 1/13/2014 1:40:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is just bruising right? Im just paranoid bcuz it came off the cake with possible cobweb, but cobweb wont change the mushroom it just covers it, correct?
image.jpg (1,852kb) downloaded 128 time(s).
image.jpg (1,858kb) downloaded 128 time(s).
image.jpg (2,136kb) downloaded 128 time(s).

SkyKitty
#10 Posted : 1/13/2014 2:00:17 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Yes. They are fine. That bluing is normal. The only thing i would be concerned about is those mushrooms touching the wet perlite as perlite is hard to keep bacteria free.

Here is what cobweb mold looks like on a cake: http://www.shroomology.o...-23889100-1347632262.jpg cobweb grows quickly, in a matter of a day or two. It is very obvious that you do not have it! Good work.

Perhaps one suggestion is to raise your cakes higher off the perlite if you can to prevent infection in general and allow a little bit of air circulation around the base of your cakes. You dont want water pooling and touching the cakes or your mushrooms as that will certainly lead to an infection of the cake eventually. A potential way to do this is to put a mason jar ring or something else in between the foil and your cake to raise it higher off the perlite.

Another suggestion for the future would be to omit the perite all together so that you can disinfect (i.e. alcohol sanitizer, bleach spray, etc) the whole tub in between flushes while you are dunking your cakes. A good substitute for perlite is a small bread pan/small bowl with a couple waterlogged sponges in it, complemented with your misting of the walls of the tub daily. The sponges and bread pan/bowl can also be easily santized periodically with bleach water much easier than perlite, therefore decreasing the chance of an infection a lot. Water will evaporate off the sponges into the air but will also never pool around your cakes. Sponges do not work as well for relative humidity but they do work.

If you smell any mildew in the tub when you open it, you know you are going to have a bacterial problem. If the air in the tub is generally fresh and faintly mushroomy, you know all is clean and healthy.

Philosopher
#11 Posted : 1/14/2014 6:37:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks! Great advice! Yeah I love when I open the chamber and a fresh, earthy smell enters my nostrils. I've been having real horrible yields from this grow, not sure if it's the strain or what. My last grow I used the same tek with golden teachers and got really high yields so I'm not sure.

SkyKitty
#12 Posted : 1/14/2014 2:04:08 PM
DMT-Nexus member

If you are using multispore, it can be luck of the draw. Take lots of prints in a clean space for the future and give it another go.

Spawning to a bulk substrate might also help with yeild in the future too as might switching to a bulk grain such as rye or bird seed. Generally, the more grain, plant fiber, and available water you feed the mushroom, the better it fruits. Whole grains and a simple bulk substrate like coir and verm is actually less work and less expensive than cakes. Cakes contain very little grain when you think about it.

One other thought could be temperature. If it is winter where you are and your tub is on the floor, the coolness could be effecting them. Cold air results in slow, stunted, fewer, and sometimes deformed mushrooms.

Love your fungus and it will love you back. Pleased

Orion
#13 Posted : 1/14/2014 2:56:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

What strain is this by the way, Albino A+, Pf Albino ? They're pretty sweet looking.
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

hairypickle
#14 Posted : 3/25/2014 1:32:55 AM
DMT-Nexus member

The blueing is from low rH

infinitynlove
#15 Posted : 4/7/2014 11:07:11 PM

Mushroom Explorer

hey

Looks like bluing from low RH ... I get that on my cakes all the time, as I have lots of fae going on with lots of spraying so they often get a bit dry between sprays and often blue up.

I have found that after a dunk the bluing goes and the cakes turn white again!

Cobweb, grey mold (can be a big problem with ganga growers if RH gets to high) can easily be dealt with using peroxide or a mild bleach solution.

there is a great write up on cobweb mold from mycotopia, from their archives from 2001, check it out Cobweb at mycotopia

I have had cobweb on a monotub I opened a bit early, the cobweb grew on top of what seemed like a fully colonized tub, I sprayed it with some diluted bleach and it disappeared and the tub fruited even where the cobweb had been.

Spraying cobweb with peroxide seems the best way to deal with it, as per the above link, I have not had cobweb since that one tub so I am quoting others rather than from experience.

Best of luck Smile

Peace Smile
I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention in fact everything I write here is a lie !

I hope in some way, my posts and replies may of helped you, I hope you like what I have said here if not feel free to send me a none flame PM