We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
$9,000 and a pile of dirt Options

۩
#1 Posted : 3/29/2014 6:26:53 PM

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

#2 Posted : 3/29/2014 6:40:12 PM

Game Master

WOW!!!! Living the DREAM!
Fear, belief, love phenomena that determined the course of our lives. These forces begin long before we are born and continue after we perish. We cross and recross our old paths like figure skaters; our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.
---David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas

PowerfulMedicine
#3 Posted : 3/29/2014 10:04:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I want to make something like that one day. But if he was really hardcore he'd go plumbing and electricity free or at least use renewable energy sources.
Maay-yo-naze!

FloorFan
#4 Posted : 3/29/2014 10:53:22 PM

Off, Low, Medium, or High?

I think plumbing is fine, just have a raised water still and let gravity be the pump. Solar would be cool to heat and also for the electrical. Electricity was discovered, not invented, so i see it as natural. But that house is incredible and beyond aesthetically pleasing!
* Everything I write is made up tripe: whispers of wind coming off the blades in my face for I am a fictional man with a floor fan for a brain pan.

Say something to my face, I have no choice, but to replace my reply, with your Darth Vader voice!

PowerfulMedicine
#5 Posted : 3/30/2014 3:41:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The only thing that it's missing is a dungeonous area for use as a laboratory/workspace. Am I the only one who likes to at least sometimes work in a dark closed off space?
Maay-yo-naze!

Entheogenerator
#6 Posted : 3/30/2014 3:51:41 AM

Homo discens

PowerfulMedicine wrote:
The only thing that it's missing is a dungeonous area for use as a laboratory/workspace. Am I the only one who likes to at least sometimes work in a dark closed off space?

I'm with you on that one!! Wink
"It's all fun and games until someone loses an I" - Ringworm
Attitude PageHealth & SafetyFAQKnown Substance InteractionsExtraction TeksThe Machine

null24
#7 Posted : 3/30/2014 3:52:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Ever since I was a kid and drooled over my big brother's Roger Dean (Yes album covers,etc: ) art books with his spray foam organic shape house structures, I've wanted to have a place with no corners.

I'm jealous of thus guy, too. Now, if he had it way up in a tree? Now that would be the epitome of awesome!
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

adam
#8 Posted : 3/30/2014 9:58:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is great, now for my case, I wonder about heating something like this, and keeping it heated.

I feel like something like a hobbit hole would do nicely. The temperature of the ground should keep the heat relatively stable.

Anyways this is sweet. Smile

cyb
#9 Posted : 3/30/2014 10:03:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, CarpenterSenior Member | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, Carpenter

adam wrote:
I wonder about heating something like this, and keeping it heated

Build it in Thailand (or subequatorial asia)...no heat probs Wink

Failing that...pot belly stove.

(new project for Goan pension plan)
Please do not PM tek related questions
Reserve the right to change your mind at any given moment.

adam
#10 Posted : 3/30/2014 10:07:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So I guess I am wondering if buildings made out of materials like clay are able to withstand heat fluctuations from heating and cooling, or from having something like a potbelly stove. I am just thinking the temperature where I am ranges from -20 to over 100F throughout the year.

I very much want to build something like this on my land. But it has to withstand cold, while being heated.

Global
#11 Posted : 3/30/2014 10:43:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

adam wrote:
So I guess I am wondering if buildings made out of materials like clay are able to withstand heat fluctuations from heating and cooling, or from having something like a potbelly stove. I am just thinking the temperature where I am ranges from -20 to over 100F throughout the year.

I very much want to build something like this on my land. But it has to withstand cold, while being heated.

Not only would the infrastructure need to be impervious to the cold, but it would also have to obviously be a lot more closed off to be able to keep heat in. It's easy (and probably desirable) to keep that house open and breezy in a tropical climate.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb

PowerfulMedicine
#12 Posted : 3/30/2014 11:14:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

adam wrote:
So I guess I am wondering if buildings made out of materials like clay are able to withstand heat fluctuations from heating and cooling, or from having something like a potbelly stove.

Earthen materials have been used to create structures for thousands of years and in essentially all climates. Adobe was the building material of choice for many indigenous North American peoples living in the desert. Deserts can have diurnal temperature fluctuations of over 60 F. So you should be fine if you live in a temperate climate.

Earthen materials have a relatively high heat capacity so thick earthen walls can have high thermal mass. This means that in the day, the earthen material will impede heat flow into the structure while at night it will radiate heat that was accumulated during the day. This provides protection against drastic temperature changes in the material and keeps the temperature in the house moderate.
Maay-yo-naze!

adam
#13 Posted : 3/30/2014 11:34:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Cool, thanks for the replies, guess i need to experiment some see what materials are best in my locale for this. Smile

thanks for the link universecannon

anonenium
#14 Posted : 3/31/2014 3:55:42 PM
DMT-Nexus member

does anyone know where in thailand this guy is or how to contact him?

hug46
#15 Posted : 3/31/2014 6:17:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

adam wrote:
So I guess I am wondering if buildings made out of materials like clay are able to withstand heat fluctuations from heating and cooling, or from having something like a potbelly stove.

I am currently coating the inside walls of my house with a 10cm thick mix of local clay/soil mixed with straw, for added insulation in winter. With a finishing layer of lime. I have had no problems with the changing seasons. Where i live we get hot summers (upto 90 degrees) and cold winters (down to -12 last year). It hasnt fallen to bits.....yet.

۩
#16 Posted : 3/31/2014 6:21:29 PM

anonenium wrote:
does anyone know where in thailand this guy is or how to contact him?

www.steveareen.com

PowerfulMedicine
#17 Posted : 4/1/2014 12:00:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

hug46 wrote:
I am currently coating the inside walls of my house with a 10cm thick mix of local clay/soil mixed with straw, for added insulation in winter. With a finishing layer of lime. I have had no problems with the changing seasons. Where i live we get hot summers (upto 90 degrees) and cold winters (down to -12 last year). It hasnt fallen to bits.....yet.

The only thing that I'd worry about here is the potential for microbial or fungal growth on the straw. This could create gas and change the volume and integrity of the materials in various ways. This will be dependent on the moisture content of the clay and straw though. Freeze/thaw could also be a problem if the material gets cold enough to freeze.

But if you don't mind having to redo your work every so often, then you should have no problem. And microbial growth might not even be much of problem.
Maay-yo-naze!

hug46
#18 Posted : 4/1/2014 8:27:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

PowerfulMedicine wrote:

The only thing that I'd worry about here is the potential for microbial or fungal growth on the straw. This could create gas and change the volume and integrity of the materials in various ways. This will be dependent on the moisture content of the clay and straw though. Freeze/thaw could also be a problem if the material gets cold enough to freeze.

The clay and straw is mixed in an old bath with water until it reaches the correct consistency to be wet enough to be malleable while still being able to stick to the walls. It is then applied in layers of around 3cm and left to dry for around about a month (or more dependant on the weather) before applying the next layer. The straw/clay mix cannot be left in its mixing container for any more than a couple of days due to the microbial growth that you mentioned but if left to dry in the correct manner it is good for the duration. I don"t think it will freeze as it on the inside of 2 foot thick stone walls. I have seen exterior work that has withstood the extremes of the changing seasons.

link for video on application of render (torchis)

Quote:
But if you don't mind having to redo your work every so often, then you should have no problem. And microbial growth might not even be much of problem.

I won"t be redoing it. It is a very messy and harrowing job and it made my place look like a scene from the battle of the Somme. Having said that i did do it arse about face. I should have rendered the walls before putting my floor and furniture in.

PowerfulMedicine
#19 Posted : 4/1/2014 4:09:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

^I'm just curious, did you happen to try to get a sense of how well you can keep your house heated without the added clay/straw coating? It would be interesting to be able to compare how efficiently you can heat your house with and without the coating.
Maay-yo-naze!

hug46
#20 Posted : 4/1/2014 4:42:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

PowerfulMedicine wrote:
^I'm just curious, did you happen to try to get a sense of how well you can keep your house heated without the added clay/straw coating? It would be interesting to be able to compare how efficiently you can heat your house with and without the coating.

My house was very very cold without. It is quite large and open plan. I have a wood burning stove (that is not very efficient) and it would have taken 20 cubic metres of good seasoned hardwood with the fire lit 24 hours a day to maintain a comfortable temperature. I probably burn about 5 cubic metres of collected driftwood and windfall per year over the last 4 years. I compensate with extra clothes and take less baths in order to build up a protective layer of body grease.

I cannot say for sure how much of an improvement the render has made as it is not finished and we have had a mild winter this year. I also need to finish insulating the roof.