We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
MEK:Heptane. Options

soulfood
#1 Posted : 5/7/2009 4:23:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

SWIM has seen much talk of using these two solvents combined and never really thought much about it as he always figured these are unavailable. Turns out they're not.

Anyways what is the purpose of mixing these two solvents? Can such results be achieved by other means?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

69ron
#2 Posted : 5/7/2009 6:06:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM used MEK:Heptane to purify and crystallize bufotenine.

Basically with a mix like that (of any solvents really, doesn't need to be MEK:Heptane) where one (MEK) is somewhat polar and he other solvent (hetptane) is highly non-polar, and both are miscible, you can adjust the polarity of your solvent mix by adjusting the ratio of the solvent mix. For example, 2 parts MEK and 1 part heptane would be more polar than 1 part MEK and 1 part heptane. And 1 part MEK and 2 parts heptane would be more polar than 1 part MEK and 1 part heptane.

It's just a nice way of controlling the polarity of your solvent. Some alkaloids are very polar and only soluble in MEK and not heptane. So by adding a little heptane to the MEK, eventually if you add enough, those alkaloids will crash out of the solvent mix. This is useful when trying to separate highly polar alkaloids from highly non-polar ones.

Any solvents that are miscible will work such as alcohol and heptane, acetone and xylene, etc. It's best to use solvents that are highly polar and highly non-polar, and ones that evaporate fast. So for the polar end you'd use acetone, MEK, methanol, DCM, ethyl acetate, etc., and for the non-polar end you'd use heptane usually. Naphtha, xylene, d-limonene, and most other easy to get non-polar solvents evaporate very slowly compared with heptane, so people usually use heptane or a similar fast evaporating solvent.

There are some cases where you might want one of the two solvents to evaporate very slowly. For example, you could crystallize bufotenine in xylene by first adding enough acetone to dissolve the bufotenine, and then letting it slowly evaporate. The acetone evaporates away first leaving behind the xylene. This causes bufotenine crystals to grow slowly. Bufotenine is insoluble in room temperature xylene, and so as the acetone slowly evaporates away, bufotenine crystals get larger and larger. This is a good way to grow very large bufotenine crystals.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

soulfood
#3 Posted : 5/7/2009 7:55:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ah I see.

Quite a cool idea.

HappyCamper
#4 Posted : 5/7/2009 5:24:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Can someone please explain how any of the solvet combinations 69ron mentioned are miscible? I thought that the two would be seperate layers

69ron
#5 Posted : 5/7/2009 6:31:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

HappyCamper wrote:
Can someone please explain how any of the solvet combinations 69ron mentioned are miscible? I thought that the two would be seperate layers

Most solvents are miscible. Water, DMSO and methanol are the main exceptions to this.

Water is miscible with:
* Acetone
* IPA
* Methanol
* DMSO
* Ethyl Alcohol

Water is NOT miscible with:
* Chloroform
* DCM
* Ethyl Acetate
* Ethyl Ether
* Heptane
* MEK (it’s 24 miscible, but mostly floats on top of water)
* Toluene
* Xylene

Methanol is miscible with:
* Acetone
* Chloroform
* DCM
* DMSO
* Ethyl Alcohol
* Ethyl Acetate
* Ethyl Ether
* IPA
* MEK (it’s 24 miscible, but mostly floats on top of water)
* Toluene
* Water
* Xylene

Methanol is NOT miscible with:
* Heptane

DMSO is miscible with:
* Acetone
* Chloroform
* DCM
* Ethyl Alcohol
* Ethyl Acetate
* IPA
* MEK
* Methanol
* Toluene
* Water

DMSO is NOT miscible with:
* Ethyl Ether
* Heptane
* Xylene

These solvents are all miscible with each other:
* Acetone
* Chloroform
* DCM
* Ethyl Alcohol
* Ethyl Acetate
* Ethyl Ether
* Heptane
* IPA
* MEK
* Toluene
* Xylene
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

soulfood
#6 Posted : 5/8/2009 2:57:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Where does D-limonene fit in all of this?

69ron
#7 Posted : 5/8/2009 3:51:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

D-limonene is pretty much just like xylene.

D-limonene XLogP3=3.4

Xylene XLogP3=3.1-3.2

D-limonene is a little less polar than xylene, but not much.