We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Poll Question : Greater Contribution to the Psychedelic Community
Choice Votes Statistics
Albert Hofmann 12 80 %
Alexander Shulgin 3 20 %

PREV12
Albert Hofmann vs Alexander Shulgin Options

HappyCamper
#21 Posted : 5/6/2009 1:48:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

69ron, let's be fair. The problem with Shulgin's creations is that there is no set standard like in the case of LSD blotters. You buy LSD and you can be almost sure of how much you need to get off. But powders are a different story. Shady dealers, inaccurate scales, misidentification, and let's not forget that any kid with a gift card can buy a 2cX online. I am not as sure now that I think about it. This is a harder question than I expected. On one hand, would there even be a psychedelic community without Hofmann? Then again, did mainstream LSD use lead to the scheduling of many other psychedelic compounds?

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

970Codfert
#22 Posted : 5/6/2009 4:03:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Haha you beat me to it 69Ron. The first thing I thought when I saw this topic was that old show Celebrity Death Match on MTV. Hofmann with a squirt-gun full of LSD and Shulgin with a slue of "magic" potions.

Anyway I voted Hofmann, I think he made a much greater contribution to society. As far as Shulgin, SWIM has only tried 2cb, it was an amazing experience in the forest, one of those full moon nights where the atmospheric conditions cause there to be a MASSIVE halo around the moon. It was incredible.
All posts are fictional.

'Coatl
#23 Posted : 5/7/2009 4:03:27 PM

Teotzlcoatl

Gotta pick Alexander Shulgin because he worked with Cacti.

Albert Hofmann did bring back the first Salvia divinorum plants tho.

Damn, I like them both!
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

polytrip
#24 Posted : 5/7/2009 4:29:24 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
Hofmann is the best advocate for the responsible use of psychedelics.
Where shulgin makes statements as that the use of XTC is not more dangerous then the use of aluminium foil as bread-wrapper, hofmann was wise enough to call LSD his problem child. Problemchild says it all; it is something of wich he sees the value (nobody would call landmines, nerve gas or those kind of things his problem child) as well as the dangers and downsides.

Hofmann also did research on traditional use of psychedelics. Plants of the gods is a classic. Shulgin has more in common with leary while hofmann has more in common with huxley.

'Coatl
#25 Posted : 5/7/2009 4:46:21 PM

Teotzlcoatl

Leary Vs. Huxley?

Huxley wins, hands down, every time.
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

burnt
#26 Posted : 5/7/2009 5:08:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

LSD changed SWIMs life more then any other substance under the sun so Hoffman.

ron69 what inaccuracies in thikal are there? Definately the bufotenin stuff is a bit off but he quotes earlier literature. Other then that I don't see whats so wrong with it? Oh yea his tryptamines in plants is also a bit off in some cases. Just curious.

69ron
#27 Posted : 5/7/2009 5:25:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

A lot of the doses for the drugs in there are also wrong. Lots of inaccuracies like that are present. He did next to no research of his own in that book. It's basically a reprint of old inaccurate data re-edited and reformatted with some comments by him added to it. I hate that book. But I like PiHKAL.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

HappyCamper
#28 Posted : 5/7/2009 5:29:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I was under the impression that Shulgin sucsessfully synthesized the substances he gave synthesis notes on. Am I wrong?

PREV12