We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Moonshine, substitute for Ethanol? Options

halfhead
#1 Posted : 2/24/2014 10:39:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello good people Smile I am from the fine country of Australia and I have a good amount of a. maidenii leaves and twigs sitting in my freezer waiting for me to get prepared for an extract.

I have to ask, mainly because I'd like to know, and I'm sure others would too. Information is good Smile
Do you think Grappa, Italian moonshine, or any other moonshine for that matter, would work as a substitute for Ethanol? I also have an arabic moonshine, Arak i think it's called.

Thanks Smile

-hH
Open source consciousness... The way it should be!

-hH

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Shadowman-x
#2 Posted : 2/25/2014 2:59:10 AM

x-namwodahs

Senior Member | Skills: Relationship & emotional support/counselling

Moonshine = ethanol
You're good to go!
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Du57mi73
#3 Posted : 2/25/2014 3:10:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

If its pure moonshine that is clear with nothing but alc then it is good to go. If its brown or has additional flavorings added to it then you might run into issues later, but itd still work.
"I am cursed by the blossoming knowledge of my feminine ideal and she looks suspiciously like you."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." -AE

Mimosa_Man
#4 Posted : 2/25/2014 3:10:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Shadowman-x wrote:
Moonshine = ethanol
You're good to go!

I'd like to add that it depends on the STRENGTH of your moonshine. If it is weak then id say get 99-100% ethanol.

If your moonshine is very strong then feel free to substitute it for ethanol.
"Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
~Albus Dumbledore

Mitakuye Oyasin
#5 Posted : 2/25/2014 3:53:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

One test you can do is to get a clean glass baking dish with a flat bottom, make sure its as clean as possible. Pour one cup of the moonshine you are intending to use and let it evaporate then use a razor blade and see if you can scrape up anything on the flat glass surface. If nothing is left behind you are good to go, if it leaves any residue then those are impurities that WILL be passed along to your final product and they will accumulate with the more moonshine you use. Best to use moonshine with the highest proof (% ethanol) and lowest water content possible and to use as clear as possible moonshine so as to not leave behind any impurities in the final product.
Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.
— Terence McKenna

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a fictional character based on other people) either obtained a license for said activity, did said activity where it is legal to do so, or as in most cases the activity is completely fictional.

halfhead
#6 Posted : 2/25/2014 6:33:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Awesome! Very good to know guys thanks Smile What I'm thinking, based on these replies, is to get the first batch of grappa(moonshine) the old man makes. He said it is way too strong to drink and can easily kill you. That's usually about the first 5 liters.

Mitakuye Oyasin wrote:
One test you can do is to get a clean glass baking dish with a flat bottom, make sure its as clean as possible. Pour one cup of the moonshine you are intending to use and let it evaporate then use a razor blade and see if you can scrape up anything on the flat glass surface. If nothing is left behind you are good to go, if it leaves any residue then those are impurities that WILL be passed along to your final product and they will accumulate with the more moonshine you use. Best to use moonshine with the highest proof (% ethanol) and lowest water content possible and to use as clear as possible moonshine so as to not leave behind any impurities in the final product.

I will get a bottle off the old man and give it a test! Great idea!

Thanks again guys! Open source is good source!

-hH
Open source consciousness... The way it should be!

-hH