We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Pining in jar ! Need advice Options

Father Time
#1 Posted : 2/19/2014 4:18:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ok guys and gals of the nexus one just checked a cake and thought One saw a few dots of contam so One started to pull off the foil and to my amazement there is a huge pin/ mushroom pushing through the foil on he top of the jar and the other what one thought to bee contam a were massive pins all bunched up on the glass..

HERE is the issue... Got caught completely off guard and also have never dealt with a pf cake that already had a mushroom popping out... Small head but massive stem(sorry for the pore laymen) !! SO what should one do now ? Do I still dunk & roll it? Or do I just put it straight in the shot gun chamber?

If you say to still dunk and roll, how long should one dunk for (Kind of afraid to mess this up it's only one cake and it was the last of the spores so I need spore prints..

Thanks in advanced !!
anything posted buy this account is 100% fiction

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Mr.Peabody
#2 Posted : 2/19/2014 6:40:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You should be ok with a dunk, still. As for the roll, I might try replacing that with a sprinkle, if you get what I mean.

Good luck!Thumbs up
Be an adult only when necessary.

expandaneum
#3 Posted : 2/19/2014 8:52:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I would not dunk, and leave it, then when you collected the fruits dunk and roll for the second flush.

Usually when you dunk the pins that are already there abort.

If you really want to dunk just dunk for an hour or so,

keep us posted on your progress
Disclaimer:
All Expandeum's notes, messages, postings, ideas, suggestions, concepts or other material submitted via this forum and or website are completely fictional and are not in any way based on real live experience.

endlessness
#4 Posted : 2/19/2014 9:43:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Consider that this forum is not just for answering your own personal doubts but something that stays for those who come after. So please use the thread titles to sum up the content of your post, otherwise people who have the same issue might try to search for it and will miss your thread due to generic title. Also please avoid the `quick need help` kind of titles, we will always answer whenever we can, no need to ask for hurry.

That being said, good luck with your grow Pleased

Father Time
#5 Posted : 2/21/2014 2:17:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

So It's in the shot gun... But the pin seems to be drying out ? The perlite is still moist and there are only 6 holes per side and it's still quite humid... but the large pin is starting to shrivel ? Any ideas why? Are they easily shocked?

Also to set the scene this is the only jar Ones ever had pin out of two syringe worth of spores so I'm starting to doubt the spores, all the other jars that actually germed took months to do so then never pinned when put into the chamber even when all the pinning conditions were right.

DesykaLamgeenie
#6 Posted : 2/21/2014 6:34:32 AM
DMT-Nexus member

If the cake is totally dried out, it will need hydration on a level that no amount of external humidity will quench. You're misting the fruiting chamber right? My suggestion would be to drench the cake when you mist the FC. I've also seen people put cakes on small dishes with water for it to soak up - but if you do that be sure to change out the water frequently enough that it doesn't attract contamination.

Best wishes

Parshvik Chintan
#7 Posted : 2/21/2014 7:30:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

sterilize some vermiculite infused with honey-water.

you can sprinkle some on the cake, but you can just put the cake on a small (just barely big enough to cover the bottom of the cake) piece of foil, and put that on top of the wet verm.

it will send down some mycelium and wick the moisture out of the verm.

you can continually add sterilized honey-water to the verm.
the honey is optional, but it supposedly helps against contam, and at the very least is an addition source of carbohydrates for the shroom.
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!
ๆจน

expandaneum
#8 Posted : 2/21/2014 10:22:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
sterilize some vermiculite infused with honey-water.

you can sprinkle some on the cake, but you can just put the cake on a small (just barely big enough to cover the bottom of the cake) piece of foil, and put that on top of the wet verm.

it will send down some mycelium and wick the moisture out of the verm.

you can continually add sterilized honey-water to the verm.
the honey is optional, but it supposedly helps against contam, and at the very least is an addition source of carbohydrates for the shroom.

I would not do this, the risk of (yeast) contams is to big. No need to ad more. If you have properly made your cakes there should be more than enough nutrition in there. If its to dry(really dry) then remove the pins and dunk
If its just a bit dry, then spray multple times a day to keep the cake from drying out more.

Good luck
and don't worry to much.
Disclaimer:
All Expandeum's notes, messages, postings, ideas, suggestions, concepts or other material submitted via this forum and or website are completely fictional and are not in any way based on real live experience.

Parshvik Chintan
#9 Posted : 2/22/2014 8:32:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

expandaneum wrote:
I would not do this, the risk of (yeast) contams is to big.

having done this (and advocated others who then also did it successfully - in fact never heard about a single case of contam, anecdotally) multiple times, i can't help but question this risk.

how would yeast survive being pressure-cooked?
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!
ๆจน

expandaneum
#10 Posted : 2/23/2014 9:16:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
how would yeast survive being pressure-cooked?

It will not survive the pc, but when used in the fc its not sterile any more, also the cakes are not sterile. So anything that come's in contact with it wil not be clean. Next to that, sterile substrates a more prone to contamination since there is no competition.

So in my opinion, adding honey water to the cake is just adding one more contamination risk to the equation, while not having any significant benefits like yield increase. So why do that?

Disclaimer:

Father Time
#11 Posted : 2/24/2014 4:37:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the advice!! And the cake it self seems sufficiently moist but if it become dry I'll give that sick method a try, One thinks what One was seeing was the pin being aborted because it's the only thing that has shriveled. And yes it's being listed multiply times per day. Will report back here in a few days