We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
[NEW POLICY] Closed gates, pulsing and integration Options

The Traveler
#1 Posted : 2/2/2014 4:23:32 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

Hi all members,

Due to what you can read on this 'closed gates' page, I will now explain two new parts that will help to integrate new members into our community.

PULSING

With pulsing I mean that we open the gates at set times for a whole day. This will probably be on a Saturday each week.

With each pulse we will enable new members to sign up and to integrate them into our community, after this integration is completed we can open the gates for the next pulse. I hope that an integration period of a week will suffice, if not then we should extend the integration period.

INTEGRATION

My hope for this pulsing is that we, as a community, will be able to teach the new members how we do things at the DMT-Nexus and that we integrate these new people into our group so that they will be a valuable addition.

For the integration there are a few things that are very important to teach to the new members:

The Attitude page
This will be things like no bad language and slang, no talk about buying/selling, not asking where to get MHRB/ACRB, etc. Very simple rules though often overlooked.

It is important that we explain to the new members that these rules are not here to annoy them or to make us feel elitists above others, but to make sure that all can get along in a constructive way and that this site can stay on the internet without having to fear for a takedown by any law enforcement.

No spoonfeeding
We have to teach the new members that we love it if they do their own homework, and that we actually even expect it. It's the famous story about the difference between giving a fish and teaching them how to fish: If people can help themselves to get any information they need, they do not have to rely on someone else to be around all the time to help them.

So instead of directly answering their questions, we should point them into the right direction. For example show them the FAQ, the Wiki or certain threads on the forum they can read to answer their question. Not only will this enable the new members to better explore by themselves, it will also give them more and often better information than you can write down into a single answer post.

A disciplined form of dialogue
As a member of the DMT-nexus people should explain their thoughts with logic and if possible by citing reliable sources. This will enable us to address complex ideas shared in common. It will prevent misunderstanding and give a better common ground to build on.

This also means that simple one-liners, regardless of how well they might be meant, should be avoided in favor of constructive talk. It will also make for more interesting topics to discuss or us all.

I truly hope that with this new policy we can enable people to help themselves and that we can integrate a lot of those great new members successfully into out DMT-Nexus community.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Macre
#2 Posted : 2/2/2014 5:10:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I support this. This is a natural progression in the evolution of the Nexus. Similar to when the Nursery was introduced all those years ago, which was of course was the first incarnation of the welcome area. This policy was introduced to enable the Nexus to remain pristine.

Time has moved on and the Nexus is receiving many more hits than it did 5 years ago. We have two choices; allow the Nexus/welcome area to become overrun with immature/unwanted/unnecessary tones, or further evolve the entrance policy to allow the Nexus to remain as it should be.

I for one vote the latter, and see it as a natural evolution that is necessary to keep the Nexus as the unique community it is.

Peace

Macre
All things stated within this website by myself are expressly intended for entertainment purposes only.

All people in general, and users of this site are encouraged by myself, other members, and DMT-Nexus, to know and abide by the laws of the jurisdiction in which they are situated.

I, other members, and DMT-Nexus, do not condone or encourage the use, supply, or production of illegal drugs or controlled substances in any way whatsoever.

Orion
#3 Posted : 2/2/2014 7:33:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I agree with this but we better start dispelling old myths and junk information which is unproven or false regarding hyperspace, extractions etc. And by that I mean seriously scrub them from the site, since most new members queries in the chat seemed to be about misinformation causing confusion.
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

EmptyHand
#4 Posted : 2/2/2014 10:37:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Trav,

Have you considered quantifying the process? By this I mean establishing several categories by which new members could receive positive and negative points indicating compatibility?

eH

Entheogenerator
#5 Posted : 2/3/2014 5:06:19 AM

Homo discens

The Traveler wrote:
The Attitude page
This will be things like no bad language and slang, no talk about buying/selling, not asking where to get MHRB/ACRB, etc. Very simple rules though often overlooked.

I think these are very good ideas, and I expect they will be very effective.

The one thing I want to mention is that the word "slang" has a very broad definition, and I think it might be a good idea to be specific as to what type of slang we want to avoid. I mean, would terms like "spice", "hyperspace", and "blast off" be prohibited? Or are we just trying to avoid extremes, for example, "yo dawg i herd deemsters was mad easy to make in my bedroom so im tryna find a recipe hook me up"? What about thigns like "lol", "AFAIK", and "IIRC"?

I'm not trying to challenge the new policies, just trying to clarify and gain a better understanding of them.
"It's all fun and games until someone loses an I" - Ringworm
Attitude PageHealth & SafetyFAQKnown Substance InteractionsExtraction TeksThe Machine

Mr.Peabody
#6 Posted : 2/3/2014 5:28:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I remember a bit over a year ago, the idea being seriously considered to have a training program for new members. The idea was to have a test on some of the fundamentals of entheogenic use before one could become a full member. Could there possibly be a test, but before one even becomes a member? At least if the person is so lazy that they just google everything, they are still being forced to search using google which is one of the problems!!

After one passes the first test, maybe there could be another test to leave the welcome area, so it would work as an upgrade process with at least 3 levels.

I guess, the idea is to make it a bit of a pain to join, but in a good way. This might discourage those that are lazy from even attempting to join, allowing in only people who really want to be here.

The idea of pulsing couples nicely with this, as those really interested in joining will have to go out of their way to know when the next available date to join will be, which in itself makes it a bit harder to join, and will hopefully weed out the people with ill motives and lazy tendencies.
Be an adult only when necessary.

The Traveler
#7 Posted : 2/5/2014 8:51:25 PM

"No, seriously"

When new members want to sign up and come across the closed gates, they will see this message. It explains in nicer terms than I used before the reason why the gates are closed and how it all works:

Closed gates wrote:
Dear potential member,

Currently the gates for the DMT-Nexus have been closed. In the following text you can read the reasons behind this closure and learn when you will be able to register again.

REASON FOR CLOSING THE GATES

We are living in interesting times where DMT seems to get a lot more attention than it has ever gotten before, movies are made with DMT as the major subject and celebrities talk about it with a passion.

This new popularity and therefore curiosity for DMT is highly encouraged by the DMT-Nexus. However, with this new popularity also come a few challenges for us.

The DMT-Nexus itself has always been known as a forum with great attention to factual information and the high level of discussions. We have this high level of discussions because we have grown slowly over the years while developing a certain ‘attitude’ on how we run things here. This ‘attitude’ of ours, which has been formed by many discussions over the years into a very effective method, can take some time for a newcomer to fully understand and to embrace.

In the past with few members trickling in, we had the time to teach each new members how we do things here and we could help them individually with their very first steps into hyperspace.

TOO MANY NEW MEMBERS TO BE ABLE TO COACH

However, with that many new members that are registering at the DMT-Nexus, we do not have enough time to fully integrate them into our attitude. People get lost into the big noise of questions asked by new members and after a while, answering the same questions over and over again become a tedious tasks that takes away a lot of the joy we used to have here. So because of this we have chosen to change a few things over here.

PULSING

With pulsing we mean that instead of having the gates open at all times, we will now only open the gates for a short time and then close it again. Then with each new ‘pulse’ of new members we will be able to take our time to have them fully integrated into our community in the best way possible.

This means that if you register in a new wave, we can actually help you much better compared to before the pulsing since we have the time and patience again to take care of your needs.

WHEN WILL EACH PULSE TAKE PLACE?

Currently each new pulse will take place for a whole day on each Saturday of the week, we have to experiment if this give us sufficient time for integrating the new members or that we might have to expand this integration time. So please do know that this might change in the future!

IN THE MEAN TIME

In the meantime, you can read a lot of information on our site, here you will be shown quite a few good places to start:

FAQ

The FAQ contains all the common questions and answers that new people asked here over the year. The amount of knowledge is staggering, so please read it well before asking any basic questions in the future!

ATTITUDE

This is our famous attitude page. It includes our attitude but also the rules that we live by here. Try to understand each rule and please also understand that these rules are not here to annoy you, but to make sure we all can get along and that we can stay as a site on the internet.

WIKI

The wiki contains our knowledge base that has been cooked up on the DMT-Nexus over the years. Especially the extraction teks are very popular. Read through them to get a basic understanding of extracting and note down any valid question you might want to ask later when you are registered. We love to help people who have already done their homework (yes, was truly love them like no other!).

HEALTH & SAFETY

Basic Health & Safety notes that everybody should read!

FORUM

The forum itself is where all discussions take place. So much to read, so many things to learn, so many interesting stories to read, it seems to go on forever. While reading the forum you might pick up some of the do’s and don’ts of the attitude we have here, it will help you for sure once you have signed up.

Thank you for reading this long piece of text and we hope to see you again as a new member after the next pulse.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

I hope this will also better prep new members for joining our community.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Aegle
#8 Posted : 2/5/2014 10:09:41 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

Traveler

Clear, concise and kind... Hopefully this new policy goes a long way in ensuring that a high quality and standard is maintained within The Nexus community.

Much Peace and Respect
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart

3rdI
#9 Posted : 2/5/2014 10:20:32 PM

veni, vidi, spici

i think that's bob on Trav, good stuffThumbs up
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

it's all in your mind, but what's your mind???

fool of the year

Mr.Peabody
#10 Posted : 2/6/2014 5:18:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I love it! Very well done, and clearly written in kind words.

It may be me, I've had a long day, but this part in the last sentence of the "Wiki" section seems to have a typo:

Quote:

We love to help people who have already done their homework (yes, was truly love them like no other!).

If I am just misreading it, I apologize, I am a bit fried right now, and in a bad way (not an entheogenic way).
Be an adult only when necessary.

--Shadow
#11 Posted : 2/6/2014 6:33:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

EmptyHand wrote:
Trav,

Have you considered quantifying the process? By this I mean establishing several categories by which new members could receive positive and negative points indicating compatibility?

eH

I was thinking a similar thing a while back, like a questionnaire/exam type qualification for membership - but then it just reminded of the days when I was a kid and cracking the "Yes I am 18" quiz to Leisure Suite Larry haha.

I think that in itself, open up memberships once per week on a Saturday would at least weed out some of the people that want to just sign up on the spot to get some info and then never hear from them again

So, the plan is to open membership signups each Saturday, and during this time we (as full members) vet them with questions, give them advise to questions etc?

Throughout recorded time and long before, trees have stood as sentinels, wise yet silent, patiently accumulating their rings while the storms of history have raged around them --The living wisdom of trees, Fred Hageneder

The Traveler
#12 Posted : 2/6/2014 8:43:52 AM

"No, seriously"

Mr.Peabody wrote:
It may be me, I've had a long day, but this part in the last sentence of the "Wiki" section seems to have a typo:

Quote:

We love to help people who have already done their homework (yes, was truly love them like no other!).

If I am just misreading it, I apologize, I am a bit fried right now, and in a bad way (not an entheogenic way).

Several typos and grammar errors have been fixed in the real document:
GATES CLOSED AND PULSING FOR NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you see more of them then please let me know.

--Shadow wrote:
EmptyHand wrote:
Trav,

eH

I was thinking a similar thing a while back, like a questionnaire/exam type qualification for membership - but then it just reminded of the days when I was a kid and cracking the "Yes I am 18" quiz to Leisure Suite Larry haha.

I think that in itself, open up memberships once per week on a Saturday would at least weed out some of the people that want to just sign up on the spot to get some info and then never hear from them again

So, the plan is to open membership signups each Saturday, and during this time we (as full members) vet them with questions, give them advise to questions etc?

I think we will first see if the pulsing works, then if needed we can expand that to other means.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

null24
#13 Posted : 2/6/2014 11:03:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

This policy as unfortunate as it's necessity is, is a sound idea. The self policing (oh! That word!) of the Nexus is responsible for my growth on the DMT-iverse.

There are plenty of places on the interweb to go for immaturity, misinformation and bombast. This is not one. We, as Nexians share a common responsibility to hold up the banner, to teach and guide each other and newcomers along the path the molecule is leading us into the future with, and to do it with care. This thing we are doing could literally change the world, for the better. The way I see it, at this time in human history we have two choices of pathways: the unsustainable, or the psychedelic, and I mean that.

The people here are doing the research and the work to push us along that right hand path.

Thanks,Trav, as our benevolent leader Very happy the care and passion you show for the molecule, and us, by establishing this 'entheogenic university' is admirable. A change for the better can already be seen just perusing the active threads tonight.

The bus was teetering on the edge of the cliff there fur a second, but we are re-balancing it.

Right on!
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Redguard
#14 Posted : 2/7/2014 12:10:57 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I can certainly understand why this change came about but i don't think it will be an effective way to fix this issue. New members already have to jump through a bunch of hoops to be a member of this website. Adding another hoop to jump through will only delay the inevitable. What it's going to come down to is effective moderation.

There are some potential consequences as well. Not only will this give more of an elitist feel to this site (i don't agree with this assumption btw) i think we will end up missing out on some of the more eccentric individuals due stronger moderation.

I do appreciate all you have done Traveler and your vision of what you want the nexus to become is very noble. I just hope you consider all sides to a situation.
“I am that gadfly which God has attached to the state, and all day long …arousing and persuading and reproaching…You will not easily find another like me.”-- Socrates

endlessness
#15 Posted : 2/7/2014 12:59:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

How about suggesting something constructive then ? Wink

d*l*b
#16 Posted : 2/7/2014 1:18:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I don’t see another hoop as a bad thing. The new system, as it stands, is nothing in comparison to some on other forums.

Some forums see open registration on a far less regular basis, some have no regular times for registration at all – more a case of keep checking back and you may see it announced some day if you are lucky.

Waiting up to 6 days is really quite mild in my mind, and certainly not much of a hoop to jump through if compared to systems like recommendation by full members or extended/undisclosed waiting periods.
D × V × F > R

Cufko
#17 Posted : 2/7/2014 2:07:30 AM

Researcher

I like the pulsing idea a lot. Also, it would be a shame if too many new people would start ruining this forum, it's such a nice place.

Also, I agree with Mr.Peabody's suggestion. A quiz, or something. Something that makes joining a bit harder.

Mr.Peabody wrote:
I guess, the idea is to make it a bit of a pain to join, but in a good way. This might discourage those that are lazy from even attempting to join, allowing in only people who really want to be here.

In knowledge, there is power

cyb
#18 Posted : 2/7/2014 7:26:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, CarpenterSenior Member | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, Carpenter

d*l*b wrote:
some have no regular times for registration at all – more a case of keep checking back and you may see it announced some day if you are lucky.

I once waited 4 years to get onto an Elite Site with no regular registration times and invite only.
Worth every, agonising day...
If you want the Best...the Best will wait.
Please do not PM tek related questions
Reserve the right to change your mind at any given moment.

--Shadow
#19 Posted : 2/7/2014 9:21:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Spiritofspice wrote:
I wouldn't go Removed: No discussion of buying bark there are plenty of actives.

Is there a way to preserve, or edit(and keep from future autoedit), these posts that are a hit-n-miss scenario's?

cyb wrote:
I once waited 4 years to get onto an Elite Site with no regular registration times and invite only.
Worth every, agonising day...
If you want the Best...the Best will wait.

That's quality Cool
Throughout recorded time and long before, trees have stood as sentinels, wise yet silent, patiently accumulating their rings while the storms of history have raged around them --The living wisdom of trees, Fred Hageneder