We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
The history of synthesised DMT? Options

Shroomopotamus
#1 Posted : 11/9/2012 7:54:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I tried the search bar but maybe I wasnt wording myself right.
I'm sure ayahausca must have been around much longer than synthesised DMT, but I am curious as to just how long synthesised DMT has actually been around for? Who first discovered/synthesised it, was it on purpose, was it similar/identical to the STB or other common teks used today? Some completely different more complicated method? What country was it first synthesised in?
Also any information on first known/reported ayahausca use would be interesting to read about too but I am more interested in the history of synthesised crystals as I am wondering about any health side effects compared to ayahausca & whether or not its history has been long enough to even determine all of its possible negative side effects yet?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Red Eclipse
#2 Posted : 11/9/2012 8:17:14 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
DMT was first synthesized in 1931 by Canadian chemist Richard Helmuth Fredrick Manske (1901–1977). Its discovery as a natural product is generally credited to Brazilian chemist and microbiologist Oswaldo Gonçalves de Lima (1908–1989) who, in 1946, isolated an alkaloid he named nigerina (nigerine) from the root bark of jurema preta, that is, Mimosa tenuiflora. However, in a careful review of the case Jonathan Ott shows that the empirical formula for nigerine determined by Gonçalves de Lima, which notably contains an atom of oxygen, can only match a partial, "impure" or "contaminated" form of DMT. It was only in 1959, when Gonçalves de Lima provided American chemists a sample of Mimosa tenuiflora roots, that DMT was unequivocally identified in this plant material. Less ambiguous is the case of isolation and formal identification of DMT in 1955 in seeds and pods of Anadenanthera peregrina by a team of American chemists led by Evan Horning (1916–1993). Since 1955 DMT has been found in a host of organisms: in at least 50 plant species belonging to 10 families, and in at least 4 animal species, including one gorgonian and 3 mammalian species (see Endogenous DMT).

Quote:
Another historical milestone is the discovery of DMT in plants frequently used by Amazonian natives as additive to the vine Banisteriopsis caapi to make ayahuasca decoctions. In 1957, American chemists Francis Hochstein and Anita Paradies identified DMT in an "aqueous extract" of leaves of a plant they named Prestonia amazonicum (sic) and described as "commonly mixed" with B. caapi. The lack of a proper botanical identification of Prestonia amazonica in this study led American ethnobotanist Richard Evans Schultes (1915–2001) and other scientists to raise serious doubts about the claimed plant identity. A better evidence is produced in 1965 by French pharmacologist Jacques Poisson who isolated DMT as sole alkaloid from leaves, provided and used by Aguaruna Indians, identified as pertaining to the vine Diplopterys cabrerana (then known as Banisteriopsis rusbyana). Published in 1970, the first identification of DMT in the other commonly used additive plant Psychotria viridis was made by a team of American researchers led by pharmacologist Ara der Marderosian. Not only did they detect DMT in leaves of P. viridis obtained from Cashinahua Indians, but they also were the first to identify it in a sample of an ayahuasca decoction, prepared by the same Indians.

via wikipedia

nen888
#3 Posted : 11/9/2012 8:24:54 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

nen888 wrote:
..here's an article by Stephen Szára, the first western scientist to trial the psychoactive effects of DMT, in 1956..

DMT at fifty”.
Neuropsychopharmacol Hung. 2007 Dec 30;9(4):201-5.

sorry to quote myself..that was by I.V.>from Scientific Articles on dmt etc>General Information>dmt-nexus.me

..the first person to smoke it was purportedly underground chemist Nick Sand somewhere around 1961..

i've attached below an article by Nick Sand entitled Moving Into the Sacred World of DMT written under the avatar
∞Ayes in Entheogen Review 2001..

SnozzleBerry
#4 Posted : 11/9/2012 1:10:39 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

DMT Timeline

Never got all that developed, but...
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Whatisreal
#5 Posted : 11/9/2012 2:25:40 PM
DMT-Nexus member

The articles by Nick Sands are amazing. I've read them many times.

nen888
#6 Posted : 11/10/2012 4:19:20 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..Cananda plays a major role in modern DMT pioneering research (Manske and Sands) ..i wonder why?

re: smoking of DMT, Albert K. Lloyd cited in https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=25196
Quote:
Anadenanthera: visionary plant of ancient South America By Constantino Manuel Torres, David B. Repke...
Ancient remains indicating that the vilca was smoked are known.
In some cases natives incorporate caapi into snuff.

nen888
#7 Posted : 2/5/2014 7:58:51 AM
member for the trees

..see also Anyone here try DMT back in the 60s?

Terence McKenna was first introduced to it at Berkley in 1965

..i should also point out that synthetic DMT is actually a very rare thing in today's world..

plant extraction began to become more common in the early 1990s

starway6
#8 Posted : 2/5/2014 5:17:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

[quote=nen888]..see also Anyone here try DMT back in the 60s?

My odomiter is pretty high now .but in no way do i see myself as old..

I take care of my health and regularly ride my mountain bike at least 10 or more miles a day..

As a teen around 1969 ..[ easy rider playing at the movies ].. through 1973 great high quality LSD ..like window pane...lsd 25 blotter... orange sunshine.. green pentagon..purple haze .. opiated hash...grass like panama red.. vietnam grass..central south american..freak brothers comics..and some of the best music on the face of the earth..

DMT was heard of back then.. but wasnt sought after much. because of warnings of how super intense the trip was..instead we chose the great high quality acid that was around at the time..

Most of my friends then were not into anything physicly addictive although i knew some speed freaks and a couple herion users...
LSD was still leagle and available then ..and ive atended goose lake music festivle [near jackson michigan]..back in 69 and 70 where groups like ..jethro tull ...mountain.. and other groups i was too stoned to remember..

I remember picking up plastic bags with ..brown mescaline ..off the ground ..pot and other phycoactive drugs that were droped everywhere by stoned people ..

There were over 400 thousand people at this rock festivle ..it was next to the size of woodstock and the news media was everwhere filming the festivle..

Even the police wouldent dare enter the festivle and try anything!.. whether they tryed anything on people leaving the festivle i dont know?

I remember although bikers were around ..they were cool and after the three day festivle was over ..no one was hurt the whole thing was mostly peacefull..

I remember on the last day of the festivle i saw bikers heating up a big pot of grass making it into a soup ..or tea.. and giving it to people not wanting to try carrying it out to be stoped the honkers..Big grin
Oh yes in those days ..I listened to tons of moodyblues ..and groups like Clear Spirit.. I remember the track ..straight arrow...fresh garbage...staiway to heaven....blues..and much more..
I only regret i didnt pay more atention to people like..dr Tim leary ..and A Huxley at the time..
I could go on but need to do my 6 mile bike ride,...