We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
N-Hexane Options

DMTripper
#1 Posted : 12/23/2013 3:51:41 AM

John Murdoch IV

I can easily get n-hexane that evaporates very clean and I've used that for pulling. I get very clean spice from it but I haven't seen many people here use it.

Is there a reason not to use it? Am I loosing a lot of spice by using n-hexane?

What solvents are you people using and why?
––––––

DMTripper is a fictional character therefore everything he says here must be fiction.
I mean, who really believes there is such a place as Hyperspace!!

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Kerberos
#2 Posted : 12/27/2013 8:17:31 PM

Michael

i am currently using iso-hexane. Pulls very white and evaps very quickly with hardly any smell.

I use this as it is very wife friendlyVery happy I can perform a Nomans extraction from start to finished dried product in less than 12 hours.

Heaxanes are usually used for re crystallization as it allegedly pulls cleaner "more pure DMT". (this is the subject of a lot of opinion one way or the other on the validity of this).

As to losing a lot of spice this will now depend on how you like your spice to look. if you want more yield there are alternative solvents out there that will pull so called full spectrum spice. If you are going to re ex your yield, i find the hexanes allow you to pull spice with no need for further re-exing.

and when the world stops
you will find me there
waiting to embrace you

Mitakuye Oyasin
#3 Posted : 12/27/2013 8:23:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hexanes are also wonderful for pulling THC and CBD from Cannabis flowers to make kick ass honey oil. No Butane gas in the end product either. Very clean end product.
Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.
— Terence McKenna

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a fictional character based on other people) either obtained a license for said activity, did said activity where it is legal to do so, or as in most cases the activity is completely fictional.

DMTripper
#4 Posted : 12/28/2013 1:10:18 AM

John Murdoch IV

Thank you for your reply's.
I just did a pull and got a good yield of white stuff so I think I'll just keep on using the hexane Smile
––––––

DMTripper is a fictional character therefore everything he says here must be fiction.

DiMiTriX
#5 Posted : 1/6/2014 10:06:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

i'll use n-exane too in a few days...it pulls the best pure spice you could get. i'm also concerned by the yields but i think it also depends by the temperature and the quantity of solvent when you pulls! just use plenty hot hexane and you should be fine i guess! Thumbs up
Tz'is aná

Orion
#6 Posted : 1/6/2014 10:55:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've used it with great success for pulling and recrystallizing, it's ideal.
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

downwardsfromzero
#7 Posted : 1/10/2014 6:56:36 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Beware! Hexane does have a neurotoxicity hazard. Make sure you keep its vapours away from your living space.

Presumably you won't be using it day in, day out for months at a time but I think this is still worth mentioning.

wikipedia wrote:
The initial symptoms of chronic hexane toxicity, attributable to hexane-2,5-dione, are tingling and cramps in the arms and legs, followed by general muscular weakness. In severe cases, atrophy of the skeletal muscles is observed, along with a loss of coordination and problems of vision.
From here.

Isohexane is a bit safer in this respect.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

steppa
#8 Posted : 1/10/2014 11:09:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Mitakuye Oyasin wrote:
No Butane gas in the end product either. Very clean end product.
How do you get the hexane out, if not in the same way as the butane?
Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then it's not the end.

cave paintings
#9 Posted : 1/10/2014 11:23:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm not sure how much the solubility is different between n-hexane and naphtha but I believe naphtha pulls a little more. Or to answer your question, people use naphtha instead of hexane because naphtha is a mixture of varying length hydrocarbons, and the effect of this is that the solvent pulls more spice as it engulfs the DMT molecule a little better. Naphtha can be a mixture of different ranges of these hydrocarbon chains, you can have light or medium weight (say 6-12 carbons in length) or heavy (longer chains). Hexane is a 6 carbon chain. Hexane is great, but naphtha pulls a little more I believe.
Hope this helped and not repeating what you might know
Living to Give

Mitakuye Oyasin
#10 Posted : 1/11/2014 12:18:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

steppa wrote:
How do you get the hexane out, if not in the same way as the butane?

Yes, same way as one would purge Butane IF doing a concentration of cannabis using solvents. Once the Hexane has been reduced but is still in liquid form one would add an amount of warm Everclear (ethanol) to that Hexane liquid equal to about double its overall amount. So if there were a reduced amount of 50ml Hexane liquid one would add 100 - 150ml of warm Everclear to it. This should get rid of all of the Hexane by offgassing it. One then simply reduces and evaporates the Everclear (ethanol) until one is left with a thick oil or a shatter glass consistency concentrate of cannabis.
Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.
— Terence McKenna

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a fictional character based on other people) either obtained a license for said activity, did said activity where it is legal to do so, or as in most cases the activity is completely fictional.

steppa
#11 Posted : 1/11/2014 1:49:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I use a vacuum pump, a dessicator and a bit of heat for purging the butane.

Mitakuye Oyasin
#12 Posted : 1/11/2014 4:09:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Cool steppa, that's better than most. If you do a lot you should look in to the process called "winterizing" where you use Everclear (ethanol) to purge most of the Butane, then you place the liquid in a freezer and allow a lot of the plant waxes to freeze so they can be filtered out. You will usually get shatter glass or honeycomb as an end result. Peace.
— Terence McKenna

steppa
#13 Posted : 1/11/2014 12:44:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hehe, yeah I know. I'm pretty passionate about my extracts. Pleased But it lacks flavour after winterizing.

Parshvik Chintan
#14 Posted : 1/11/2014 8:10:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

steppa wrote:
lacks flavour after winterizing.

this is why i am still waiting on you stoners to perfect the art of flavonoid/terpenoid extraction.
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

downwardsfromzero
#15 Posted : 1/12/2014 9:17:55 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

cave paintings wrote:
I'm not sure how much the solubility is different between n-hexane and naphtha but I believe naphtha pulls a little more. Or to answer your question, people use naphtha instead of hexane because naphtha is a mixture of varying length hydrocarbons, and the effect of this is that the solvent pulls more spice as it engulfs the DMT molecule a little better. Naphtha can be a mixture of different ranges of these hydrocarbon chains, you can have light or medium weight (say 6-12 carbons in length) or heavy (longer chains). Hexane is a 6 carbon chain. Hexane is great, but naphtha pulls a little more I believe.
Hope this helped and not repeating what you might know

Medium naphtha definitely pulls better than light naphtha. But it evaporates more slowly.

Aye, there's the rub!

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

xa
#16 Posted : 4/25/2015 9:06:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sorry,
I'm using hexane and read about toxicity, from your experience what are the real risk ? if i use a mask/glass/glove when there are vapor (pipette works..) and do the thing in another room keep ventilated can be safe ? the room then when all vapor go away evaporate and vented it's safe to stay in there ? i use once, but i'm worried, i don't think to use it too often in a year, maybe one two times...

And the toxicity it's analog to naphta and other varnish solvent or it's more dangerous ?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 0 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

dakkapel
#17 Posted : 4/25/2015 4:53:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

In the netherlands they sell wasbenzine in the supermarket. Supposedly it's consisting of
n-hexane, cyclohexane, hexane isomers, methylcyclohexane, heptane, n-octaan

* Is their a difference in spice produkt using wasbenzine vs pure hexane?
And if yes. Can someone explain why that is?

* Anyone experience with distilling hexane out of a mixture like this?
"All is knowing."

1ce
#18 Posted : 4/25/2015 5:14:14 PM

Communications-Security Analyst

Hexane is remarkably non polar, and DMT isn't very soluble in hexane at low temperatures. This makes it a poor choice for extractions, and a great choice for crystallizations.

The reason you don't see alot of people using it can be put rather bluntly: it's the wrong tool for the job.

DMTripper
#19 Posted : 4/25/2015 9:12:54 PM

John Murdoch IV

1ce wrote:
Hexane is remarkably non polar, and DMT isn't very soluble in hexane at low temperatures. This makes it a poor choice for extractions, and a great choice for crystallizations.

The reason you don't see alot of people using it can be put rather bluntly: it's the wrong tool for the job.

Well I've used it quite a lot and I'm pulling 1.5% of very pure DMT.
I do heat the soup up to 50-60 °C. Works for me.
––––––

1ce
#20 Posted : 4/25/2015 11:14:14 PM

Communications-Security Analyst

Do whatever you want, but it'll crap DMT all over the place as it cools.

12NEXT