We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Turning the world back into a community garden. Options

alloneallalone
#1 Posted : 1/5/2014 12:36:36 PM

A Fragment

I have a goal to travel to california and live off the land while planting hemp seeds, as well as several different seasonal fruits and vegetables, and of course apple seeds, near every avaliable waterway, and then slowly work my way through the states, using the colder seasons to navigate through the southernmost states. I need some good brainstoming here, and would appreciate any input.

Here are some details about my current abilities to complete this task.
First of all, I am a warrior who does not fear the implications of homelessness and desert wandering and I've taken up the practice before but not nearly to such great extent.
second, I am fairly young, 23. I have good stamina, am in exellent shape, even though I smoke an occasional cigarette, and I am capable of performing several exercises requiring extreme endurance, I am very concerned about keeping my identity anonymous, but not my mission. I have grandparents in arizona, and enough funds to start my seeding and recruit others in california. enough funds is about $500 as most of my food is going to be oats, nuts and berries on my journey.
I will post updates and videos of my progress and technique of course, once I get it started.

Thank you for reading.
Please add any nice ideas you may have.
I love you. Smile
If we are all one, we are all alone.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Nicita
#2 Posted : 1/5/2014 11:23:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I would suggest planting food plants easy to harvest and to use, that can establish themselves and propagate without care. The best would be definitly fruit trees, if you find some fruit that are very durable in your place and easy to grow from seeds without much effort. Plant as many of them as you can. I don't know what will work in your climate, but you can research here for possible candidates

Also consider making some minor designing on the landscapes to kickstart cultured plants if it seems worth the effort and when you have some time for it, or people to help: dig swales, establish some water retention where it is easily possible, establish hedges, cut down unusable dominant plant species and make them mulch material for establishing your food plants...

Hemp is of cause great! Please spread good genetics. No hybrid crap, but something addapted to your climate, that will keep it's traits and will have a chance to establish as a healthy pollutaion! Mix some papaver somniferum with them. They look beautiful, are a very healthy food and remind people of that great plant, that is one of the oldest known cultured companion of our ancestors for good reasons!

Please elaborate a bit what you are planing to do and keep us updated! Would you be interested in making some arty stuff to try to spread that kind of gardening via the internet to the people? I have an idea or two that I want to work on in this year and that could get big, if enough people participate.

Best of luck on your journey, may you leave a trail of beauty, joy and health!

Doodazzle
#3 Posted : 1/6/2014 12:41:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Pardon me if you already know this.....and forgive me for bearing bad news if you don't know this: apples tend to 'fall far from the tree'. They don't breed true. An apple seed will likely produce some sort of crab apple, that's why apple grown for food are always clones. Good apples for pie and for cider--but probably nothing you'd just eat off the tree.

Having said that, I'd still like to encourage you--what you are talking sounds cool to me.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein

I appreciate your perspective.

Nicita
#4 Posted : 1/7/2014 11:27:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think planting apple seedlings is very well worth the effort. Sure, most of them will not produce good fruit by themselves, but they will grow a strong and healthy plant adjusted to the environment where it sprouted. It later be used for grafting cultured varieties. Also a few of the seeds will by chance produce edible fruit that can become a new cultivar. Probably most of the old varieties originate from such random "breeding" and later selection. And on top, these trees will always be habitat and food source and honey plant for all the animals around. Also it is much cheaper than buying trees from a nursery. Wink

thymamai
#5 Posted : 1/8/2014 12:45:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'd suggest looking into buying a good military sleep system. Used are in the 100$ range at any surplus store. I've had mine for a year now, it's water proof and very good sleep. It's really all I carry other than water and a change of socks and some papers.

Aegle
#6 Posted : 1/8/2014 2:45:37 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

Doodazzle wrote:
Pardon me if you already know this.....and forgive me for bearing bad news if you don't know this: apples tend to 'fall far from the tree'. They don't breed true. An apple seed will likely produce some sort of crab apple, that's why apple grown for food are always clones. Good apples for pie and for cider--but probably nothing you'd just eat off the tree.

Having said that, I'd still like to encourage you--what you are talking sounds cool to me.

Doodazzle

Excellent point, thank you...

Much Peace and Respect
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart