We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Eating cured cannabis buds for CBDs? Options

Praxis.
#1 Posted : 12/29/2013 7:49:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey all! It's been a while since I've posted anything as I've been traveling and whatnot, but I've got a brief question regarding cannabis that I'm surprised I haven't been able to find a simple answer to anywhere online.

So--lately I've been disillusioned with the smoking of cannabis; the long term effects of heavy use and inhalation of smoke concern me, being the hypochondriac that I am. In the future I plan on cooking with cannabis and investing in a juicer when economically viable for me. But right now, just for the holiday season, I'm staying with my parents. Due to not wanting to stink up the house via the process of making edibles, I've been eating a nug or two a day. This obviously doesn't get me high, but I'm more invested in the medical aspects of the plant and consuming the CBD's. I'm aware that ingesting the buds and leaf of raw, uncured cannabis is an efficient way to deliver CBD's to the body--what I haven't been able to find out is whether or not this is also true when you eat dry, cured bud. My assumption would be that the CBD's are still delivered, and not the THC, but I just wanted to ask so that I know I'm not wasting my herb.

If it makes a difference, the bud I have is an organic medical strain from Oregon high in CBD content (unsure of %); probably some of the earthiest, most spiritual, and best tasting herb I have come across.

Thanks all, and happy holidays!
"Consciousness grows in spirals." --George L. Jackson

If you can just get your mind together, then come across to me. We'll hold hands and then we'll watch the sunrise from the bottom of the sea...
But first, are you experienced?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

mew
#2 Posted : 12/29/2013 8:41:44 PM

huachumancer

why not grind your nugs and put the powder into a small amount of warm olive oil. then spread the pesto like ganja oil on your bread with a bit of balsamic vinegar and bam

delicious stoning!

happy drug gin

DreaMTripper
#3 Posted : 12/29/2013 9:40:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah or heat a teaspoon of butter with bud in then mix into a yoghurt, knocked me clean out the other day and it wasnt strong weed albeit probably is a 100% indica.
Or weedka which is even quicker to kick in..

endlessness
#4 Posted : 12/29/2013 10:49:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

When you eat raw cannabis, the cannabinoids are in acidic form (THC-acid, CBD-acid, etc), they will not make you high. In this form, the cannabinoids are water soluble, and should not accumulate in the body fat like the active cannabinoids do. The pharmacology will be different in this case, and the potential medicinal effects also, so it depends on what you are looking for.

When the weed is cured (or heated), most of the cannabinoids will have decarboxylated and will have turned into their acidic form. They will be active, so if you consume orally, you will get high. THC Here they will be very non-polar, so they will not be water soluble anymore, they will be soluble in oils, naphtha etc (and also be stored in body fat).

THC

THC acid

As for amounts of THC vs CBD, there will be no difference in terms of raw vs cured. So if a plant has for example 10% THC and 1% CBD, this will remain the same whether its dried or raw, the difference is that those cannabinoids will be in acidic form or decarboxylated/active form, as mentioned before. The amount of CBD vs THC is related to genetics, so either a strain will have a significant amount of CBD or it won`t. Most strain these days, whether they are supposedly sativa or indica, are actually very low on CBD. There are only a few selected strains that have significant amount of CBD. One that comes to mind is Cannatonic.

Ingesting the plant will mean you ingest both the THC and the CBD (and other cannabinoids present), you are not selecting one over the other, for that you`d have to separate them with chromatography or some other similar technique.

What are you looking for exactly, what kind of beneficial effects do you want? Also, do you want to get high or not?

null24
#5 Posted : 12/29/2013 11:05:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

mew wrote:
why not grind your nugs and put the powder into a small amount of warm olive oil. then spread the pesto like ganja oil on your bread with a bit of balsamic vinegar and bam

delicious stoning!

happy drug gin

That's a great idea! I've been dealing with a persistent case of bronchitis, and have been unable to smoke lately, and if I do, one hit leaves me in a convulsive coughing fit!But this sounds like a great way to utilize small portions of herb, tailored to one ingestion. What is a good amount for say,
1) a nice light, daytime anxiolytic,Smile and
2) a full-on, laying in bed zoning out to tunes stoning?Very happy

I used to eat hash, and a little less than a gram would be good for (1), and a gram or two good for (2), and the herb I'm accessing these days is high THC% Oregon med-grade, and I suspect the THC content only a little less than the hash I used to get 20 years ago, I'm thinling eating a gram of this would be a good starting point but IDK.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

wearepeople
#6 Posted : 12/29/2013 11:55:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

mew wrote:

delicious stoning!

happy drug gin

I do something very similar, Bruschetta style, with tomatoes, basil, & garlic with the oil drizzled over the top. mmmmmmm.

Null24, I wish I could answer your question, I usually use 0.5g. But I've never tried it alone. Usually I'm already stoned when I do this. Big grin

wap
+ ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- DMT Nexus Research ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- +

DreaMTripper
#7 Posted : 12/30/2013 4:04:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Varies by strain, I measure out a joint in the cig papers. One joints worth of an average bud is a nice relaxant when no more is smoked, but a strong booster if you smoke some afterwards. A prem strain like cheese would probably kick your ass.

Praxis.
#8 Posted : 12/30/2013 4:23:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

mew wrote:

delicious stoning!

happy drug gin

This is a fantastic idea, I'll definitely have to try this tonight!

Thanks for all the advice everyone! endlessness, to answer your questions 1) I'm predominately interested in the CBD's for their knack to prevent cancer--not that I'm particularly concerned that I have cancer, but with the amount of toxins and carcinogens in almost everything these days I tend to be paranoid and would like to take any preventative measure that I can. I've also read a few different case studies (with varying and contradicting conclusions) that seem to indicate that the CBD's in cannabis can help with heart function and the lowering of blood pressure. High blood pressure and related issues run in my family; so again, just another preventative measure. And 2) Yeah I'd love to get high if possible, but the reason I was asking specifically about eating straight nugget is because I know that CBD's and THC require heat to become active enough for one to experience the high--hence my original decision to wait until after the holidays to make my own edibles. I simply wanted to know if I could get the physiological medical value out of the plant simply by eating cured nugget, or if the CBD's were only active in raw flower and/or via heating. But some of these ideas posted here are great little ways to get both the medicinal benefits and get stoned without stinking up the whole kitchen, so I should be set!

Thanks again everyone!

On a side note, has anyone ever heard of Bhang? It's a Hindu drink traditionally made during specific festivals in honor of Shiva--it's essentially cannabis infused milk and you can add your own spices like ginger and whatnot for flavor. I was considering doing this on a regular occasion but with almond milk instead of cow's milk--anyone ever try it?

If you can just get your mind together, then come across to me. We'll hold hands and then we'll watch the sunrise from the bottom of the sea...

endlessness
#9 Posted : 12/30/2013 11:08:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey!

I`m pretty sure both THC and CBD (and possibly other cannabinoids) are responsible for the cancer-fighting effects, it`s not limited to just CBD:

http://www.cancer.gov/ca...healthprofessional/page4

Though it may be that there are some other medicinal effects that are related to CBD.

That being said, eating cannabis has a different pharmacology than smoking cannabis, because when ingesting you have the cannabinoids pass through the liver which metabolizes the cannabinoids into different compounds (in the case of THC iirc from delta-9-THC it turns it into 11-OH-THC , which is even more psychoactive) which does not happen when you smoke (or injecting straight into the blood in the case of lab rats) because it goes straight into the blood stream and brain. It might be that the metabolites when eating are different in relation to cancer-fighting or other medicinal effects, but I am not sure if any research has been done into this.

You said you don`t want the negative effects from smoking, but did you consider vaporizing weed instead?

Cosmic Spore
#10 Posted : 12/30/2013 12:02:05 PM

☠ ⚡ ☣ ⚠ ☢

endlessness wrote:
I`m pretty sure both THC and CBD (and possibly other cannabinoids) are responsible for the cancer-fighting effects, it`s not limited to just CBD:

http://www.cancer.gov/ca...healthprofessional/page4

This is my understanding of it also. Cannabinoid & Cannabis Studies, Documentaries & the like.

This particular post deals with Cancer Treatment & Apoptosis; this post has approximately 5 attachments that deal with cancer/cancer cells and THC specifically.

A couple of them are:

1). The Dual Effects of THC on cholangiocarcinoma cells- Anti-invasion activity at low concentration and Apoptosis Induction at high concentration.

2). D9THC induces apoptosis in C6 glioma cells

Praxis.
#11 Posted : 1/1/2014 5:48:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for all the info--this is useful!

And yeah, endlessness, I'd like to invest in a vaporizer sometime soon; but I'd like to try juicing it first.