We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Thank you button Options

DeMenTed
#1 Posted : 5/15/2013 10:15:22 AM

Barry

I think it would be a great idea to have a thank you button below peoples posts so that you can thank them. Ive seen it used on another forum and it works well.

If someone posts something with information that you want or posts anything that you like then a thank you is just good manners. Would this function work on the Nexus do you think?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

universecannon
#2 Posted : 5/15/2013 10:42:19 AM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

So basically a "like" button? If thats sort of what you mean, there's been a few threads on this in the past. I think i agree with endlessness's (say that five times fast! ok actually it wasn't that hard) response here https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=14822

I guess if there wasn't any ranking of the # of thanks a person has accumulated i'd be moar open to the idea

But whats the benefit of this as opposed to just quoting their post and responding with thanks? Or sending thanks in PM?

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

DeMenTed
#3 Posted : 5/15/2013 10:46:44 AM

Barry

Theres been lots of times ive appreciated a post but not been in a posting mood. A thank you button is easily pressed and shows gratitude.

It would probably be a hastle to incorporate it into such a busy forum like the nexus but it would be a nice touch

RoGu3
#4 Posted : 12/5/2013 3:17:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I just posted a thread like this and did not think to look down a couple threads lol well I agree eith you DeMenTed this would be a very good system to implement on the nexus, It works very good on other forums. It doesn't have a ranking system and its for times sake. Who really wants to quote someone everytime someone posts something good or interesting just to say thanks when you can just hit a button. Its a nice feature IMO. I'd love to see it implemented. Its not a ranking system universecannon. That's more like the rep system or post count thing which is corny I think. The rep system is ok tho maybe it allows you to give a + or - to someone's rep for their type of post, which is viewable.
Don't be afraid, Don't be afraid, Let everything flow through you

I AM Everything

You're In Class
A Nice Little Place

Guyomech
#5 Posted : 12/5/2013 7:34:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Oil painting, Acrylic painting, Digital and multimedia art, Trip integration

I can easily see both sides of this, especially after reading the other threads. Oly's point about subliminal feedback in normal conversation is interesting, although I'm not sure that would directly translate over to something like an inline forum, which isn't happening in realtime the way an in-person conversation is. I find myself resonating with Endlessness's comments. Lately I've been working the Instagram thing, and I see how people get sucked into the numbers game part of it. And I don't think this is healthy, as it glosses over the richness of the life experience and reduces it to a numerical rating.

One of the reasons this is probably not appropriate for the Nexus is that we are doing something different here. Among other things, you could almost think of the forum as a support group for people who are trying to get some control over their egos. So in that sense, having anything here that encourages ratings-type thinking is almost akin to having a wine bar at an AA meeting house.

The thing about making a post where you quote or otherwise directly thank another member is that you are taking the time to go out of your way and do that, which is part of what makes it meaningful.

dreamer042
#6 Posted : 12/5/2013 8:31:58 AM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

Dreamoar042 likes this Thumbs up

Sorry I couldn't resist, had to be done. Wink

I don't see how this could work without some form of a ranking, it would at least have to tell the thanked member that they have been thanked by such and such member(s) or so many members clicked thanks for this post.

On the subject of just quoting and saying thanks, even that comes off as a little "Dreamoar042 likes this" not that I don't post my fair share of one liners and "like" posts, we all do and this is fine, but I think we should strive to go beyond the "thanks I like this thumb up" and strive for a little deeper level of communication, I like this because...

edit: except for cat pictures and funnies they should be Laughing'd and Love'd
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

Metanoia
#7 Posted : 12/5/2013 2:08:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think it goes against the spirit of this forum. All that like and rep and rating stuff is just ego massaging. If you don't feel like posting then you don't have to. I think just clicking a button is a bit lazy, to be honest. If a post or discussion really piques your interest or helps you in some way, take the time to post about it Thumbs up