We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
not a single shroom Options

Father Time
#1 Posted : 11/30/2013 11:10:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ok so this would be the 4th batch of cakes that sat in the camber for 4 months with out doing a dang thing. any advice would be more than appreciated.

basically a run down:
-golden teacher
-pf cake
-birthed two weeks after 100% colonization all 4 batches
-dunked an roll in verm
-perlite to hold humidity in a low flow shot gun chamber(the relative humidity out side chamber is 9%)
- fanned 7-8 times per day
-misted 4-6 times per day

pretty much what happens is the cakes either dont pin at all or they pin alittle an dont much much further and just "pause" for 3-4 months then mold takes over at that point and so does ones patience,

any idea what could be going wrong?

anything posted buy this account is 100% fiction

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

fourthripley
#2 Posted : 11/30/2013 11:17:34 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Is your set up too cold/too warm?
mistakes were made

Father Time
#3 Posted : 11/30/2013 11:31:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

temp is right at 72*f iv been told 67-77 is a good range, does that sound correct?

Elpo
#4 Posted : 12/1/2013 7:55:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sometimes it helps to place the cakes in the fridge for one night and put them back in the chamber. This activates them and you'll be getting pins shortly.
"It permits you to see, more clearly than our perishing mortal eye can see, vistas beyond the horizons of this life, to travel backwards and forwards in time, to enter other planes of existence, even (as the Indians say) to know God." R. Gordon Wasson

Philosopher
#5 Posted : 12/3/2013 1:17:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Bad spores. Sounds to me like your doing everything right, which means that the spores might just be defective and unable to grow. Try a different spore source.
We are surprisingly similar.

Pup Tentacle
#6 Posted : 12/3/2013 1:29:48 PM

lettuce

If you got mycellium to colonize the cakes it isn't bad spores.

Many reasons for not pinning.

-Some races don't fruit as easily
-not enough FAE <--- this one is it 4 out of 5 times from what I've seen
-incorrect temperature
-contamination

Post pictures of as much of your setup as possible. That's definitely helpful for us to help you Smile
Pup Tentacle

You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.
Robert Anton Wilson
Mushroom Greenhouse How-To
I'm no pro but I know a a few things - always willing to help with Psilocybe cubensis cultivation questions.

iAwakenU
#7 Posted : 12/4/2013 6:16:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Pup Tentacle wrote:

as long as there is a little air movement in the room that should be fine right?
Smile. Life is too short to be anything but happy.
Love is my religion.

All things stated within this website by myself are expressly intended for entertainment purposes only.
All people in general, and users of this site are encouraged by myself, other members, and DMT-Nexus, to know and abide by the laws of the jurisdiction in which they are situated.
I, other members, and DMT-Nexus, do not condone or encourage the use, supply, or production of illegal drugs or controlled substances in any way whatsoever.

Pup Tentacle
#8 Posted : 12/4/2013 6:21:37 PM

lettuce

iAwakenU wrote:
Pup Tentacle wrote:

as long as there is a little air movement in the room that should be fine right?

If you mean in addition to a properly constructed and functioning fruiting chamber - then yes (for the most part).

Avoid closets and close spaces.

FAE is Fresh Air Exchange... what we're talking about is swapping out the air in the fruiting chamber for fresh air. It needs happen many times a day.

For anyone serious about improving their fruiting plan, I highly recommend reading up on the concept. There are many ways to get there, some simple and some complex. For the OP's Shotgun fruiting chamber... I'd drill more holes 1/4" every 2" on all 6 sides of the tub. Putting a fan directly on it will probably beat the RH down to much... but a fan in a corner of the room moving air gently (like you mention above) will help.
Pup Tentacle

You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.
Robert Anton Wilson
Mushroom Greenhouse How-To
I'm no pro but I know a a few things - always willing to help with Psilocybe cubensis cultivation questions.

Father Time
#9 Posted : 12/5/2013 1:42:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Pup Tentacle wrote:
iAwakenU wrote:
Pup Tentacle wrote:

If you mean in addition to a properly constructed and functioning fruiting chamber - then yes (for the most part).

Avoid closets and close spaces.

FAE is Fresh Air Exchange... what we're talking about is swapping out the air in the fruiting chamber for fresh air. It needs happen many times a day.

For anyone serious about improving their fruiting plan, I highly recommend reading up on the concept. There are many ways to get there, some simple and some complex. For the OP's Shotgun fruiting chamber... I'd drill more holes 1/4" every 2" on all 6 sides of the tub. Putting a fan directly on it will probably beat the RH down to much... but a fan in a corner of the room moving air gently (like you mention above) will help.

The first batch was in a shot gun , the last 3 were a low flow shot gun with slightly more fae/misting , reason for the low flow is the RH out side the container is very very low. Also the dunk and roll that Is done is the dunk for 12 hours in the refrigeration, remove & roll, then they are set in the chamber

Ancotar
#10 Posted : 12/5/2013 4:12:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Just a suggestion...

Cut down to once to twice a day on misting for a bit.

Let the cakes evaporate their moisture a little as this will help promote pinning.

Once you see the pins, increase the misting to however you see fit, but I personally have been getting away with 1 - 2 a day and been just fine.

Also, how close are you misting your cakes, from far away or close? Close proximity misting can damage your fragile mycelium, along with excessive touching.

Other than that, my other suggestions would have been what the others before me mentioned. Smile

Good luck!

EDIT: I almost forgot, increase the dunk time to somewhere around 18 - 24 hours.
"We speak of Time and Mind, which do not easily yield to catagories. We separate past and future and find that Time is an amalgam of both. We separate good and evil and find that Mind is an amalgam of both. To understand, we must grasp the whole." -Isaac Asimov

"You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger." -Buddha

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when my fear is gone I will turn and face fear's path, and only I will remain." -Paul Atreides, while being tested with the Gom Jabbar by the Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam