We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Herbal alternatives to marijuana? Esp. for lucid dreaming? Options

0neir0naut
#1 Posted : 11/25/2013 10:24:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hola Nexus!

I've been inspired to put my nightly mj vape sessions on hold whilst I embark on exploring my consciousness through lucid dreaming. I am and have always been a very vivid and active dreamer. However, I have noticed over the last few years that I can go many days without recollecting my dreams, and I have also not had much luck with lucid dreaming. I've read that quitting marijuana can help tremendously. The funny thing is is that I still do have vivid dreams and 20% of the time I do become aware I am dreaming, but I am unable to really remain 'clear headed' when lucid and usually find myself wasting my lucidity on trying to find an outfit to wear before I explore my dreamscape or trying to have sex with everyone in sight! Haha! Very happy This to me says that my marijuana mugginess - especially the predilection for instant pleasure - could be cheapening my lucid dream experiences.

Enough back story! I am curious about herbs which help relax the mind and also improve the vividness of dreams. I like my nightly vape sessions as ritual (I really love inhaling and exhaling the tea-tastiness of mj vapor) so I'd like to replace the ritual with vaping another (more helpful) herb.

I've heard motherwort and mugwort are great for dreams. Are they also nice to vaporise, or only ingest? Does anyone have any other recommendations? Or perhaps your own blend recipes?

I have done a wee search on the forum for any threads about marijuana alternatives as well as lucid dreaming herbs; have found a few random posts here and there, but nothing too indepth so I figured a thread dedicated to it wouldn't hurt Smile

Thanks in advance, friends Love
We are the local embodiment of a Cosmos grown to self-awareness. We have begun to contemplate our origins: starstuff pondering the stars; organized assemblages of ten billion billion billion atoms considering the evolution of atoms; tracing the long journey by which, here at least, consciousness arose. Our loyalties are to the species and the planet. We speak for Earth. Our obligation to survive is owed not just to ourselves but also to that Cosmos, ancient and vast, from which we spring.
Carl Sagan, Cosmos

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

dooby
#2 Posted : 11/25/2013 10:45:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Tagetes lucida - Mexican terragon
Silene capensis - African dream root
Calea Zacatechichi - Dream herb...

...from the top of my head, but there are surely more of these "dream herbs" (google?)

edit - as for an alternative to mj, there really isn't any Pleased but Turnera diffusa (damiana) can be quite enjoyable in its taste and effect...
My avatar was taken from google images and is actually a work of art by NEIL GIBSON, credit where credit is due!

Bodies don't have souls - souls have bodies

Old enough to know better, young enough to try again

0neir0naut
#3 Posted : 11/25/2013 10:49:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

dooby wrote:
Tagetes lucida - Mexican terragon
Silene capensis - African dream root
Calea Zacatechichi - Dream herb...

...from the top of my head, but there are surely more of these "dream herbs" (google?)

edit - as for an alternative to mj, there really isn't any Pleased but Turnera diffusa (damiana) can be quite enjoyable in its taste and effect...

Ah yes, a google search did reveal Damiana to me. Thanks for the other suggestions! Do you have a nightly herb you take? Smile
We are the local embodiment of a Cosmos grown to self-awareness. We have begun to contemplate our origins: starstuff pondering the stars; organized assemblages of ten billion billion billion atoms considering the evolution of atoms; tracing the long journey by which, here at least, consciousness arose. Our loyalties are to the species and the planet. We speak for Earth. Our obligation to survive is owed not just to ourselves but also to that Cosmos, ancient and vast, from which we spring.
Carl Sagan, Cosmos

dooby
#4 Posted : 11/25/2013 10:57:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Actually, no - apart from mj that is...

I have some damiana in case I run out of mj - which rarely happens...

I'd put Calea in my changa if I had any - which will take a few more weeks...
My avatar was taken from google images and is actually a work of art by NEIL GIBSON, credit where credit is due!

0neir0naut
#5 Posted : 11/25/2013 11:22:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

dooby wrote:
Actually, no - apart from mj that is...

I have some damiana in case I run out of mj - which rarely happens...

I'd put Calea in my changa if I had any - which will take a few more weeks...

Do you feel that damiana has any effect on your dreaming at all? Or same as if you were smoking mj?
Carl Sagan, Cosmos

cosmic butterfly
#6 Posted : 11/25/2013 11:31:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

agree that there is no alternative for mj, but for dreams guayusa (lucid dreaming tea) is another one worth noting, have great results drinking little before sleep and than a strong brew in the morning helps with dream recall,

dooby
#7 Posted : 11/25/2013 11:46:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ah, thx, now I know what the guayusa is for...

I have some, will test shortly Pleased

0neir0naut
#8 Posted : 11/26/2013 12:17:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

cosmic butterfly wrote:
agree that there is no alternative for mj, but for dreams guayusa (lucid dreaming tea) is another one worth noting, have great results drinking little before sleep and than a strong brew in the morning helps with dream recall,

Thanks for the recommendation! Gonna try and get me some Big grin
Carl Sagan, Cosmos

0neir0naut
#9 Posted : 11/26/2013 3:26:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

For anyone still interested, this thread on Shroomery has some great herbal stack recommendations for people in want of a relaxing, vivid, lucid night time adventure! Big grin

I think I'm going to try and grow some of my own chamomile - get a plant or something. This thread says it is great when smoked fresh! Then couple that with some passionflower and either kava or mugwort. Hmmm, we'll see what I can easily get my hands on. Will let you know my experiences once I start exploring herbal effects on dreaming further...
Carl Sagan, Cosmos

SkyKitty
#10 Posted : 12/10/2013 12:42:49 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I can vouch for the "Quitting marijuana helps with vivid dreaming".

When I use cannabis, i definitely feel like i sleep deeply but my dreams pale in significance to sober sleeps. I do still dream but they are not vivid and i have a hard time remembering them in the morning.

When the cannabis is all out of my system, i have all sorts if bizzare vivid dreams with much more complex themes. I also tend to wake up more rested.

Going back to cannabis reminds me how in a fog i am in all the time when i use it. It feels like it takes days to recover and i miss the dreams. My brain doesnt need any herbal help in the dream department, personally.

Another thing that might help, that i can vouch for personally, is that having a very dark room when sleeping helps tremendously with deep sleep and good dreams. I never realized how much light pollution effected my quality of sleep until i got a good black out curtain. I also helped with quitting the weed as i didnt experience the same trouble falling asleep that i did before when discontnuing the weed.