We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
What should I do with my Fittonia albivenis plant? Options

HeavenlyBlue
#1 Posted : 11/10/2013 5:52:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I found a Fittonia albivenis plant at Lowes about 8 months ago. It's been growing slowly, but looks healthy.

At one point, I made a tea with a few leaves and drank it with some rue, however, I got impatient and vaped as well, so I have no way to distinguish the effects. Also, it sounds as though native preparations use a lot of leaf matter. I experienced no side effects. In fact, I went for a 4 mile run about 30 minutes in. Endorphins galore.

I know it's stupid to mix unknown plant alkaloids with maoi, so please do not give me a thousand responses about the dangers. I know the dangers. Does anyone have some thoughts about what to do with this plant? I was considering either trying a stronger/more concentrated tea with caapi or doing a FASA extraction to see what that yields.

Thanks!

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

pinkoyd
#2 Posted : 11/11/2013 2:06:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extraordinary knowledgeSenior Member

There is precious little information out there regarding Fittonia, but what there is is tantalizing isn't it? One thing to keep in mind (and I know you probably know this, so forgive me)is that even within a genus different species can have very different chemical composition. Psychotria for example has species that contain things as different as DMT (obviously), ipecac, the neurotoxin calycanthine and opiod analgesics. Just think what would happen if I was looking for the newest DMT containing species and got one that had ipecac...

If I were working a species up for psychoactivity I'd do some basic analytical work first, like TLC and some color reagents to get at least some idea of what might be in it. GC/MS would be the next logical step if anything interesting shows up. Endlessness ccould help with that if he's not too busy. THEN I might commit to doing a bioassay.

If you are determined to go straight to bioassay, do a Shulginesque upward titration by small increments with each successive dose. Be aware of any signs that the material might be toxic. Muscle tremors, cramping, etc. Review Pihkal and Tikhal for his exact methodolgy.

The one reference I have (Garden of Eden) says that large amounts of leaves were used, so you might want to clone your plant out for a while first. And the species was never ID'd in the first place.

The Lowe's around here carries F. argyroneura from time to time, so we have several species to examine!

I already asked Alice.

HeavenlyBlue
#3 Posted : 11/12/2013 12:57:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

F. argyroneura may be the same plant, but with the name of the group that propagated it instead of the normal scientific taxa. Although I have access to TLC, I don't know if it's really worth it to me. I think I would go a la Shulgin, but right now I just realized that I am too attached to this particular plant. I may need to return to Lowes and buy one that I am less fond.