We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Pet euthanasia Options

alert
#1 Posted : 10/27/2013 6:12:14 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Does anyone have any experience with this topic they could share?

I have quite a few cats, but my oldest is over 19 now. I suspect she had a stroke the other day because she has been acting very abnormally since then. She can hardly walk, and she falls frequently and gets trapped in corners constantly. Her balance is terrible.

Today, I witnessed her have a seizure. These past few days are the first time I had never questioned her quality of life, and as of right now it appears she has very little.

I'd love to hope and wish she would get better, I've had her 2/3 of my life, I can't tell if she is in pain but she is certainly senile. Before the stroke, she would often wander around aimlessly had a very awkward gait and bad balance even then.

I have multiple litter boxes that are always kept clean, yet she won't use them anymore even if I pick her up and put her in it.

She is still eating and drinking a little bit, but just enough to stay alive.

I hate to think I am keeping her alive just because I don't want to say goodbye. I haven't made the decision yet, but I am leaning towards euthanization. I found a vet who will come to my house and do it here so she doesn't have to leave familiar surroundings in the event that I choose this route, but it is truly tearing me up trying to make this decision.

I would love and input from anyone who has ever gone through this, I would literally take a bullet for this cat, she has been there for me through thick and thin. Even though I think it is in her best interest, a part of me feels like I'm going to murder my best friend.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

cyb
#2 Posted : 10/27/2013 6:39:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, CarpenterSenior Member | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, Carpenter

alert
I went through this same thing earlier this year. Most probably Feline Vestibular Disease .
Looks like a stroke and has similar effects.
There are some treatments available to help for a short time...but they really only prolong the inevitable.
Life quality can never really be the same and sometimes there are no results.

It was shocking to see my friend go through this and even after hospital treatment, the deed eventually had to be done.

It's completely heart renching and I really feel your pain... but the quicker you can send her off, the better it can be for both of you.
Get that vet out to you asap.

You can't think of it as murder... only the most merciful thing you can do.
It's hard and you never forget but time helps to fade the pain into joy of knowing a great friend.
Be brave.
They come back to you in dreams.

RIP Piggles... I remember.

Please do not PM tek related questions
Reserve the right to change your mind at any given moment.

LaoTzu
#3 Posted : 10/27/2013 7:02:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm so sorry. That's a terrible feeling. It sounds like euthanasia is probably the best thing you can do. Obviously, go see a vet for confirmation.

Sending love your way. <3

spinCycle
#4 Posted : 10/27/2013 10:11:33 PM

Life is Art is Life

Having my dog put down was one of the hardest days of my life, but at some point you sort of owe it to them out of mercy. Maybe you can keep them breathing a few days, weeks, or even months longer but you have to ask yourself without the ability to live a vital life what does that really provide for them (not for you, for them)?

Pets give so selflessly, it's hard to see that relief at life's end as a return of that gift, but if you think of it as trading your pain for their peace it seems a fair trade at the end of it all. In the wild an animal in that condition would already be gone. It is certainly not murder.

Ask yourself, if you had reached a point where even the most basic living functions were just not happening properly anymore and were not going to recover, would you want to be kept 'alive' just for the sake of delaying the inevitable? It's not going to hurt any less if she dies 'naturally' after a little more time.

I wish there were some magic words that could make it easier, but the pain at the end is just the part of the price for the joy they bring to our lives.
Images of broken light,
Which dance before me like a million eyes,
They call me on and on...

alert
#5 Posted : 10/28/2013 12:14:09 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the responses and the love, it is definitely appreciated.

I forgot to mention in my original post that she was diagnosed with renal failure (most common cause of death in cats) around 2 years ago. I starting buying the special cat food for that but eventually she refused to eat it and I starting feeding her whatever she would actually eat.

I've spent the day thinking and I've come to terms with the fact that since that stroke a couple days ago and seizure today that she isn't going to recover, and that her quality of life has deteriorated to a point where I'm not doing her any favors by keeping her around. She is destined to go soon, this is mercy for her no matter how painful for me.

It tears me up inside, but I know what I need to do and I am going to have the vet come sometime early this week to put her down.

I have been a complete mess the past couple days, doing a lot of crying because I kinda assumed the worst from the beginning.

I am definitely going to be here for her while the vet does there thing, but I am positive I am going to lose it and break down into tears, I just hope I can hold them off until after the procedure and stay strong for her in the end.

I am going to have her cremated and keep her ashes on the mantel with my mothers. The cat was a gift from my mom and they loved each other as well so I think it is fitting.

Anyway, thanks for the insight guys. I appreciate it.

Kazoo...
#6 Posted : 10/28/2013 12:42:49 AM

ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Hey alert sorry to hear about your little buddy. We went through a similar thing last year with our guy, renal failure held on for another year but finally just went down hill hard. my lady couldt bear to put him down and wanted to be with him to the end, but she felt in hindsight that this had been a selfish move on her part and his last days were so hard and he was so unhappy physically and mentally, he eventually died in her arms after an extremely ruff last day. And while it was nice in a way to have him till the very end, it was soooooooo very very difficult and traumatizing on all our parts his included, it was not all happy go lucky go peacefully we felt he suffered and I really think it made it much harder on her to know this.

I dont want to try and sway you ether way thats your choice to make, but this is a non sugar coated perspective on a road some people take. I know this is very hard and wish you and your little buddy the best.
Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see....

sleepypelican
#7 Posted : 10/28/2013 5:42:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have gone down this road twice now with the two dogs i grew up with. It's very hard, becasue they cant tell you they are suffering, so you want to tell yourself they are doing alright, things arnt that bad, when in reality they are in so much pain...you never want to believe something you love so much could hurt like that,and you want to believe your helping them by keeping them alive, when in reality, in the natural world, they would have passed by now, before all this pain had come.

Dont think of it as putting her down, more as a way to send her off. Make a party out of it. invite friends who have known and loved your pet. I'm sure she couldnt dream of a better way to go then around all the people who have loved and showed her affection all her life. I really believe this life is just the begening to rest of what this universe has to offer, even for animals (perhaps more so)You will be helping them with their journey instead of prolonging their departure. this is just from my opinion...
In dreams...I walk with you
In dreams...I talk to you
In dreams...Your mine
All of the time
We're together
In dreams...In dreams

Jin
#8 Posted : 10/28/2013 8:46:48 AM

yes

earlier this year i lost my dog , i loved him a lot and it still brings tears to my eyes as i write this

i don't even know if there is a way to end my pain for he is gone leaving me hurt to my core , i meet him in my dreams sometimes yet i am deeply hurt and miss him a lot

i broke down in tears when he died and i am still crying now when i think about it , i am not sure there is way to end my pain even if his pain has ended

i have no idea why i wrote this ........yet i needed to share this .............Crying or very sad
illusions !, there are no illusions
there is only that which is the truth

alert
#9 Posted : 10/28/2013 7:19:20 PM
DMT-Nexus member

It's done.

RIP love <3

I'll never forget you or stop missing you.

Thanks to everyone who responded and helped me through this hard time; especially cyb, spinCycle, Kazoo, sleepypelican and Jin and anyone else who has had to deal with this first hand. Also, I'd also like to thank !Xabbu for corresponding with me via e-mail throughout this whole ordeal.

Much love everyone.

Vodsel
#10 Posted : 10/28/2013 7:24:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

That was another act of love for her. You have done good, best wishes for these days.

Love and blessings.

cyb
#11 Posted : 10/28/2013 7:38:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, CarpenterSenior Member | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, Carpenter

Love
Thoughts are with both of you...
Please do not PM tek related questions
Reserve the right to change your mind at any given moment.

sleepypelican
#12 Posted : 10/29/2013 8:13:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

this thread makes me tear up...

what a beautiful place this is
In dreams...I walk with you
In dreams...I talk to you
In dreams...Your mine
All of the time
We're together
In dreams...In dreams

Elpo
#13 Posted : 10/29/2013 8:40:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Much love and strength to you alert...
I have two dogs, which are my first pets and best friends, so I can only imagine what it must feel like and how hard it must have been to make your decision. It's safe to say that it's definitely not murder. To die with dignity is much more a present that unfortunately a lot of animals do not get.
Sometimes I can't help and think about the day when I will face that choice with one of my dogs and tears swell up.
I wish you all the strength to go through this.
"It permits you to see, more clearly than our perishing mortal eye can see, vistas beyond the horizons of this life, to travel backwards and forwards in time, to enter other planes of existence, even (as the Indians say) to know God." R. Gordon Wasson

Mindlusion
#14 Posted : 10/31/2013 4:24:08 PM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Ok so one time, my little kitty caught a baby squirrel. The squirrel had a punctured lung and my kitty didn't know what do to do.
So. I soaked a rag in diethyl ether and euthanized the squirrel.
Sad story, Happy kitty.
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

Pandora
#15 Posted : 11/9/2013 1:46:34 AM

Got Naloxone?

Welcoming committeeSenior Member

alert,

Oh man, I am so sorry for your loss, Sad.

But, I feel confident in saying that you did the right thing. It's usually pretty evident when it's time and it sounds like you hit that time with your dear friend and family member.

I just want to say that my multiple experiences with vetrinarian pet euthanasia have been very positive, if such a thing is possible. The vet came to our home one time - the others we went there. We were permitted as much final saying goodbye time as needed, and to keep the pet on/in a blanket or towel from home. The vet administers an IM very powerful sedative that takes effect nearly immediately. Then they establish a line into a vein or artery and administer the euthanasia drug. Death followed in under a minute. The words that come to mind for me is "very fast and very gentle." When it was done at home my dear friend died on my lap.

We have two cats cremains in urns. I have absolutely zero tolerance or understanding of people who think we should just instantly "get over" the death of someone who was a loved and active family members for so very long.

Our hearts go out to you alert. May your dear friend rest in peace and when you see her there may you remember all the good times you had.
"But even if nothing lasts and everything is lost, there is still the intrinsic value of the moment. The present moment, ultimately, is more than enough, a gift of grace and unfathomable value, which our friend and lover death paints in stark relief."
-Rick Doblin, Ph.D. MAPS President, MAPS Bulletin Vol. XX, No. 1, pg. 2

Hyperspace LOVES YOU