We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Trouble finding "safe" non polar solvent Options

dooby
#1 Posted : 11/8/2013 1:58:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello,

After making sure every piece of equipment I use is either glass or stainless steel, I fear that there is one possible source left for contamination of my yield...

Where I live it is proving next to impossible to find a non polar solvent (naphtha or toluene) that is not sold in plastic bottles...

I really envy those who live in countries where these products usually come in metal containers...

My research revealed two final possiblities, both of which would still need to undergo an evaporation test, either a 5 l. metal can of naphtha with boiling point 100-140 (°C) or convincing my pharmacist to sell me some pharmaceutical toluene (which comes in 250 ml. glass bottles and is used as a base for some ointments)...

I just found out that the naphtha I used for my extraction came in a PET-bottle and now I'm all paranoid about possible contamination from plastic (or it's breakdown products) and not knowing how to make sure there isn't any...

I have very little knowledge about plastics and their breakdown products, or their behaviour in strong acidic or basic solutions, or their solubility in different solvents... But just the idea of even the tiniest amount ending up in my final product makes me very reluctant to bio-assay the spice that's still trapped in vinegar after back-salting my naphtha due to not having a freezer and not wanting to evaporate that amount of naphtha...

So, the last hurdle to take before I'll ever be able to come up with a yield I can be truly proud of, is finding a non polar solvent that comes in metal or glass packaging (and evaps clean)...

PLUR
My avatar was taken from google images and is actually a work of art by NEIL GIBSON, credit where credit is due!

Bodies don't have souls - souls have bodies

Old enough to know better, young enough to try again

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

DreaMTripper
#2 Posted : 11/8/2013 7:00:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Not even zippo or an equivalent? Which country are you from?
Sometimes you have to look in places such as art stores (rubber cement remover) or stationary (glue remover).
Im sure many people use naptha from plastic bottles and have no problems..

cyb
#3 Posted : 11/8/2013 7:11:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, CarpenterSenior Member | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, Carpenter

^^ what he said...
I think you are worrying unessesarily about the solvent. Manufacturers won't release solvent that would dissolve plastic bottles.
Please do not PM tek related questions
Reserve the right to change your mind at any given moment.

The Traveler
#4 Posted : 11/8/2013 8:44:54 AM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

cyb wrote:
^^ what he said...
I think you are worrying unessesarily about the solvent. Manufacturers won't release solvent that would dissolve plastic bottles.

^ What he said... Razz

Also do an evap test with the solvents sold in the plastic bottles:
Pour some of it in a clean pyrex dish and let it evaporate completely. If it is safe to use then it should leave a pyrex dish as clean as it was before. If, on the other hand, it leaves a layer of anything then it should not be used.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

anrchy
#5 Posted : 11/8/2013 10:03:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The Traveler wrote:
cyb wrote:
^^ what he said...

^ What he said... Razz

Also do an evap test with the solvents sold in the plastic bottles:
Pour some of it in a clean pyrex dish and let it evaporate completely. If it is safe to use then it should leave a pyrex dish as clean as it was before. If, on the other hand, it leaves a layer of anything then it should not be used.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

^^ What he said...

Sorry just wanted to get in on the fun. But ya dude if they are sold in plastic bottles it wouldn't make sense that the solvent would react with that plastic bottle. Who knows how long it will sit on the shelf, could you imagine bottles of solvent just self dissolving all over the store?

Plastic is not plastic. There are many different types of plastic and each type is resistant against different chemicals while reactive with others. The ones they used to contain that solvent is fine.
Open your Mind () Please read my DMT vaping guide () Fear is the mind killer

"Energy flows where attention goes"

[Please review the forum Wiki and FAQ before posting questions]

Infundibulum
#6 Posted : 11/8/2013 10:24:10 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

I disagree with all -

A solvent may not dissolve the plastic itself but will, in time, be impregnated with constituents of the plastic. Bisphenol A and phthalates (both hydrophobic molecules) leach out of polycarbonate bottles into the water contained in these bottles, given time. The effect is of course exponentially pronounced if a non-polar solvent like naphtha comes in contact with polycarbonate bottles.

PET bottles are considered much safer for storage of water but, there are little, if any research on what may impregnate a non-polar solvent with. For all we know so far is that endocrine disruptors do leach out of PET bottles in the water they contain and by extension this effect should be more pronounced if a NP solvent is used.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

dooby
#7 Posted : 11/8/2013 10:40:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you infundi, at least someone is on the same page as I am...

Of course, I perform evaporation tests on my solvents, but that provides an indication of purety, not a guarantee imho... Unless you have an electronmicroscope or something to check for any leftover impurities... We are talking about very minute amounts here - which is not to say they couldn't affect your health if they end up in your final product.

The solvents we use are generally not intended for human consumption so as long as the bottle doesn't dissolve on the shelf the manufacturer/shopkeeper are happy - why should they care about Bisphenol or other compounds leeching into the container's contents?

So unless someone can provide hard evidence of there not being any risk of plastic-related compounds being in my final product - or comes up with a way to clean/wash the solvent prior to being used for extraction/re-x purposes, it's on with the quest for a solvent that comes in a glass or metal container...

PLUR
My avatar was taken from google images and is actually a work of art by NEIL GIBSON, credit where credit is due!

cyb
#8 Posted : 11/8/2013 10:50:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, CarpenterSenior Member | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, Carpenter

Quote:
... the quest for a solvent that comes in a glass or metal container...

My Heptane comes in nice 'metallic' bottles (no idea what metal it is) and Heptane is a great solvent for you to use Thumbs up
cyb attached the following image(s):
Heptane-bottle.jpg (43kb) downloaded 230 time(s).

dooby
#9 Posted : 11/8/2013 11:06:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you Cyb I'll look into it...

The Traveler
#10 Posted : 11/8/2013 4:07:03 PM

"No, seriously"

dooby wrote:
Of course, I perform evaporation tests on my solvents, but that provides an indication of purety, not a guarantee imho...

If it evaps without leaving a trace, then why would it leave a trace in your extraction if you give it enough time to evap as well?

Kind regards,

The Traveler

The Traveler
#11 Posted : 11/8/2013 4:08:49 PM

"No, seriously"

cyb wrote:
Quote:
... the quest for a solvent that comes in a glass or metal container...

My Heptane comes in nice 'metallic' bottles (no idea what metal it is) and Heptane is a great solvent for you to use Thumbs up

That bottle seems to have a plastic cap. Razz

Kind regards,

The Traveler

cyb
#12 Posted : 11/8/2013 4:28:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The Traveler wrote:

Arrrgh...
...errmm ... I..er.. photoshopped it to look like that...Very happy

I alerted the plastic police straight away...

DreaMTripper
#13 Posted : 11/8/2013 8:46:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Very happy

Ive never seen xylene come in plastic bottles but you didnt say which country you were in so cant suggest a product. Maybe use sunf.oil and salt it out then water crystalise with sodium carbonate..

Chairman MAO
#14 Posted : 11/9/2013 9:26:43 PM

Writing the little red book of life...

cyb wrote:
The Traveler wrote:

Arrrgh...
...errmm ... I..er.. photoshopped it to look like that...Very happy

I alerted the plastic police straight away...

Very happy
In my country, the legal go-to psychoactive substance is ethanol. Sometimes my friends get wasted and tell the craziest stories about how they go out at night to harvest strange grasses in the light of the full moon. They claim to meet elves, white light and jaguars. These are their stories.

SMAOLK ZEBONG
Mon Ami, if you lose your inhibition we can take some extasy and DANCE!

Chairman MAO
#15 Posted : 11/10/2013 10:26:37 AM

Writing the little red book of life...

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...px?g=posts&m=500354

Look, someone posted this, it tells you about the safety of various chems vs. various materials. Dandy!

In my country, the legal go-to psychoactive substance is ethanol. Sometimes my friends get wasted and tell the craziest stories about how they go out at night to harvest strange grasses in the light of the full moon. They claim to meet elves, white light and jaguars. These are their stories.

SMAOLK ZEBONG
Mon Ami, if you lose your inhibition we can take some extasy and DANCE!