We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Intense throat burn using the GVG Options

HumbleTraveler
#1 Posted : 10/23/2013 7:36:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Swim just got his GVG yesterday. A little background, swim has have never smoked/vaped anyhing in his life. He loaded up 6 stainless screens into the gvg and melted spice onto them (40mg combo of xtals and some left over amber crystallish goo from a not so successful first extraction, which, trust me, swim now knows was WAYYYYYYY too much for a first timer. He used that much because the goo is much more dense than xtals are so he figured it wouldnt be a problem... uhh WRONG!), anyway, it melted in very easily. swim then lowered his torch lighter while lightly inhaling and WHAM tons of cloudyness appeared. About 2 seconds later and half a breathfull, all of the sudden swim began coughing like a mad man because his throat felt like it was on fire while, at the same time, trying to keep calm from the intense visuals that blindsided him like a punch from Mike Tyson literally in only a few seconds time.

So, can anyone help figure out why the throat burn occured? Its fine now, he had some vanilla ice cream Cool Ive seen people, even 'nonsmokers' say that the GVG produces lukewarm air and its very pleasing and smooth. This was very painful/discomforting for Id say a good 5 minutes for the back of the throat. The visuals thankfully wore off after 2 mins because whatever was inhaled was all coughed out, but a good deal was inhaled in just a few seconds. The fact that there even were visualizations considering nothing was held in certainly made swim a believer of what is to come and how proficient the GVG is and the dosage will be cutback by half to 15 or so mg.

1. My primary belief is that the torch lighter was held too close to the ceramic element for too long and super hot torch air was rapidly inhaled.

2. Other thoughts are that the spice itself was burned/scalded from, again, holding the torch too long in one spot and swim breathed in super hot smoke/burnt spice?...but everyone has said it is impossible to burn spice in a GVG, correct? so if its not this and vapor itself is all that comes out of the gvg, it would have to be number 1 ? Or... see below

3. My final thought is that swim is simply not accustomed to inhaling vapor/smoke being a nonsmoker. But, he has read that other nonsmokers say the smoothness is mincredible.

So, what went wrong haha
"A troop of elves smashes down your front door and rotates and balances the wheels on the after death vehicle, present you with the bill and then depart. And it's completely paradigm shattering. I mean, ya know, union with the white light you could handle. An invasion of your apartment by jeweled self dribbling basketballs from hyperspace that are speaking in demonic Greek is NOT something that you anticipated and could handle!' -T.M.

The posts and stories by this member are simply for fictional entertainment purposes only and do not reflect any 'real life' occurrences.
Smile

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

obliguhl
#2 Posted : 10/23/2013 8:43:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
So, can anyone help figure out why the throat burn occured?

Because of DMT. Unfortunatly, the accounts of "luke warm air" are either exaggerated or they do not apply to everyone. It's always been very painful for me. Some smoking methods work better than others though and i've found that it's best to vape a big amount at once instead of having this corrosive feeling for minutes. Once that big ball of vapor passes through, it gets easier to hold it in. You may also want to try to inhale a bit of regular air after each hit. This helps to cool down the vapor and pushes it down even further. Don't forget to hold it in for at least 20 seconds.

The Traveler
#3 Posted : 10/23/2013 8:55:56 AM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

HumbleTraveler wrote:
2. Other thoughts are that the spice itself was burned/scalded from, again, holding the torch too long in one spot and swim breathed in super hot smoke/burnt spice?...but everyone has said it is impossible to burn spice in a GVG, correct?

Unfortunately this is not the case, you can easily burn DMT with a GVG if you put in too much energy (heat it too much too long). It is hard to see the difference between smoke and vapor but burned spice hurts me a lot and the smell of it is horrible to my senses.

The GVG is a great tool but alas, it still needs getting used to and it is actually pretty easy to overheat, the ceramic element should just glow a bit red and then you have to stop adding heat. At times I overdid it and combusted my spice and even set fire on my changa with the GVG.

One trick to learn using the the GVG, is using only little spice say 10mg. Try to get that vaporized with as little heat as possible, then work your way up.

And what obliguhl stated is also true, the vapor can be more hurtful to some people who are more sensitive to it. I hope you get this down and better enjoy the spice.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

dmt_spider
#4 Posted : 10/23/2013 10:12:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

My experience recently was very similar. I made a thread on it which has some very useful suggestions from more experienced members:

https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=50659

HumbleTraveler
#5 Posted : 10/23/2013 6:33:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

obliguhl and the traveler, thank you for contributing! Makes me feel better to know that information so next time the technique can be adjusted. At least swim got his feet wet. Alas, too wet. Luckily though there was no break thru. That would have certainly been a scary experience first shot.

Spider, it's crazy reading your post because our situations were nearly identical, except Id say you were fortunate enough to not have to also deal with the intense OEV's with the throat burning like I did. I didnt even close my eyes haha. Your thread was a very good read with a lot of good information.

The same thing happened to me when I coughed, a gigantic white cloud left my mouth and filled the room, the throat burn coupled with the visuals made me say "Oh fuck am I dying!?!...no no no Im not dying." I simply got up, left the room and sat elsewhere for a few minutes to let the smoke clear and wait for the effects to fade off. I normally wouldnt have wanted to get up and begin walking around, but I just wanted/needed fresh air at that time.
"A troop of elves smashes down your front door and rotates and balances the wheels on the after death vehicle, present you with the bill and then depart. And it's completely paradigm shattering. I mean, ya know, union with the white light you could handle. An invasion of your apartment by jeweled self dribbling basketballs from hyperspace that are speaking in demonic Greek is NOT something that you anticipated and could handle!' -T.M.

The posts and stories by this member are simply for fictional entertainment purposes only and do not reflect any 'real life' occurrences.
Smile

HumbleTraveler
#6 Posted : 10/23/2013 10:58:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Just figured Id add this, I have a digital thermometer with a long needle and I wanted to experiment with distance of the torch and the thermometer to see how quickly the temperature rises. After doing some reading I found that the appropriate vaping temps are roughly 350* Fahrenheit...but elsewhere said 140 degrees fahrenheit. Im moderately confused lol...anyway, regardless.

It is INSANE how easy it is to burn your spice if you get too close. From room temperature of about 70 degrees holding my torch lighter tip about 2in away from the tip of the thermometer, the temperature spiked to about 300 in a matter of about 3-4 seconds and actually levelled off to 320 from that distance, increasing the torch approximately a centimeter spiked the temperature to 400* in the blink of an eye.

Although not a perfect experiment due to lots of variables (no glass, no screens, no ceramic etc), it just shows that about 2 inches from the tip of the lighter (with a half inch primary flame) over about 5-10 seconds seems to be an appropriate time and distance for the lighter to properly vaporize.

Smile

endlessness
#7 Posted : 10/23/2013 11:50:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for sharing the results of the experiment Smile

HumbleTraveler
#8 Posted : 10/30/2013 4:23:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ok, so, to follow up, and again ask for some advice/guidance.

Attempt two just occurred. As previously stated, swim is a nonsmoker and has zero experience with any other form of psychedelic. On this attempt, swim made good and sure to NOT overheat anything. Only got to hold in about 2 seconds on the inhale because AGAIN, the throat feeling after about 3ish seconds was like strep throat X 100 plus glass shards being stuck in there and the hit was coughed out. The throat feeling for a good 5 minutes hahah.

Only 16mg was attempted this time, the GVG filled with a dense vapory smoke. The temperature of the vapor/smoke was cool itself, so swim knows he didnt burn anything and breathe in hot air like last time described above. Was very surprised to see that even after all of that dense vapor/smoke filled the GVG on the initial heating up, that it took quite a good deal longer to vaporize the 16mg in its entirety. Each time after though that the spice was heated up, the vapor was far less dense than the first time.

So, now, since nothing was burned, does spice vapor irritate just by nature? Because perhaps SWIM is simply not used to the feeling that everyone else is used to and can simply shrugs off because they know what it feels like. Normal to everyone else feels like what was described above to SWIM lol. The feeling didnt shock him like the first attempt, but it was still unpleasant and irritating.

Any help would be appreciated Smile

Smile

anrchy
#9 Posted : 10/30/2013 5:19:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

First I want to ask, have you cleaned it since the time you might have burnt it? Cause technically you could be smoking burnt dmt from previous doses.

Second, some people are just too sensitive. Currently trying to figure out a good method for a friend of mine who has tried a few times on my gvg and the exact same thing happens. He literally cannot hold it in without coughing, same pain ect.

My gvg is now fresh and clean and I hope he can try again soon. I think changa might be his only answer unless I can get this ecig to work when it comes in the mail.

Oh and to answer your question, for most people vaporizing out of the gvg produces a very smooth sensation that is not irritating or uncomfortable. Most times I don't feel anything at all, not even warm air.
Open your Mind () Please read my DMT vaping guide () Fear is the mind killer

"Energy flows where attention goes"

[Please review the forum Wiki and FAQ before posting questions]

HumbleTraveler
#10 Posted : 10/30/2013 8:21:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It's all been sorted out. SWIM told me it worked. And it was incredible. Thank you so much for your help.

Smile

dmt_spider
#11 Posted : 10/31/2013 9:25:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

That's great news. I'd be very interested to hear some more details on what you changed in order to solve the initial issues you were having (as I am having them too).

HumbleTraveler
#12 Posted : 10/31/2013 4:33:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I did post a report over in the welcome area! all swim did was not use any goo just pure white xtals, and just took lots of care to lower the torch slowly to find the spot where vaporization took place. I personally think that the goo is whats harsh and what was causing the throat burn because of it being some left over plant fats and whatnot that the defat didnt get.

Smile