We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
The THC Candle - OH YES!!! Options

oilman
#1 Posted : 10/16/2013 7:55:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

After a few failed attempts, I've come up with a recipe for a THC candle !!! You just light and enjoy.

Important safety note! Most essential oils are flammable, and have flash points around 60 C, PLEASE follow the instructions. Do not add essential oils to a lit candle - the potential for a serious burn or worse is too great. Thank you, Infundibulum, for asking me to update this safety note.

What you'll need:
A citrus essential oil (many people have lemon oil lying around the house) or food grade d-limonene. Note: the essential oil will work better because it also contains alpha and beta pinene, which are bronchiodiolators. I'd suggest the citrus oil over straight d-limonene, but either will work to some extent.

A tea light candle Edit: Not all tea light candles are created equal. If you want to avoid parrafin candles, there are tea lights made with palm wax that burn cleaner. They are more expensive and harder to find than parrafin. Parrafin is still considered by the US FDA as being Generally Regarded as Safe, but at least one recent study found toxins in parrafin wax. Make the decision that makes you most comfortable about the type of tea light.

A tight sealed glass container

A 1mL dropper

Optional: lemongrass essential oil

Methods:
1) Take some weed and put it into the glass container.
2) Cover the weed with citrus essential oil or food grade d-limonene in the glass container. I used a small nug for the test run, and later made a larger batch.
3) THC is soluable in d-limonene; most people don't do this because there isn't a good way to get the limonene out of the thc afterwards. But we don't care about that. Allow the extraction to happen.
4) When you're ready to make your candle - separate the plant matter from the essential oil/d-limonene.
5) Light your tea light. Let the candle burn until a pool of liquid wax has formed (usually takes 5-10 minutes for a decent sized area of liquid wax to form).
6) Fill your 1mL dropper with THC/EO solution.
7) Blow out the candle and immediately drop the 1mL of solution into the liquid wax. DON'T disturb the candle until it has hardened, otherwise the liquid portion will spill and you'll lose your product.
Cool Optional: While the wax is still liquid, drop 5 drops of lemongrass EO into the liquid wax. This will add myrcene to the air when you burn the candle and enhance the experience.
9) Allow the candle to fully harden before relighting; this minimizes the risk of lighting the THC/EO mix before the wick ignites.

Ok, time to enjoy. Light the candle, leave it next to you, and chill.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

dooby
#2 Posted : 10/16/2013 8:12:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is a great idea...

I actually know a candle-maker so perhaps I can get me a few "scented" candles so I won't have to worry about buying X-mas and birthday presents for a while Pleased

PLUR
My avatar was taken from google images and is actually a work of art by NEIL GIBSON, credit where credit is due!

Bodies don't have souls - souls have bodies

Old enough to know better, young enough to try again

Nathanial.Dread
#3 Posted : 10/16/2013 10:25:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

How effective is this at getting THC actually into your system. I feel like the gas would diffuse to the point of being ineffective.
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

Du57mi73
#4 Posted : 10/17/2013 12:18:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hm. If this is for fragrant purposes why wouldn't you just smoke? If its for recreational purposes... why wouldn't you just smoke?
"I am cursed by the blossoming knowledge of my feminine ideal and she looks suspiciously like you."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." -AE

oilman
#5 Posted : 10/17/2013 12:19:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I use herb all the time and this got me trashed. I can't speak to blood concentrations, but subjectively I got really high. I think the terpenes in the citrus oil boost the thc effects as if you smoked it. You want the candle to be close to you to maximize how much you could inhale, but i'm not sure about how much is wasted. Just that I was wasted!

oilman
#6 Posted : 10/17/2013 12:23:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Du57mi73 , just gives people options. It also doesn't smell like weed, it smells like orange peels.

dooby
#7 Posted : 10/17/2013 12:27:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

oilman wrote:
Du57mi73 , just gives people options. It also doesn't smell like weed, it smells like orange peels.

That's too bad...maybe another solvent would work for keeping mj's fragrance intact?
My avatar was taken from google images and is actually a work of art by NEIL GIBSON, credit where credit is due!

Bodies don't have souls - souls have bodies

Old enough to know better, young enough to try again

Mr.Peabody
#8 Posted : 10/17/2013 1:27:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

NO. WAY.

Surprised

I have been trying to get my GF to try cannabis. She says things like, she doesn't want to smoke, she doesn't like the smell, on and on.

This sounds freakin perfect! I hope it works as well as you say it does! Ima give it a go.Drool
Be an adult only when necessary.

ataraxia
#9 Posted : 10/17/2013 7:55:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Most tealights are made from paraffin wax which you do NOT want to be inhaling.

Maybe just use the THC infused oil in an electric oil burner?
"If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room"

Infundibulum
#10 Posted : 10/17/2013 12:14:16 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

oilman wrote:
After a few failed attempts, I've come up with a recipe for a THC candle !!! You just light and enjoy.

What you'll need:
A citrus essential oil (many people have lemon oil lying around the house) or food grade d-limonene
A tea light candle
A tight sealed glass container
A 1mL dropper
Optional: lemongrass essential oil

Methods:
1) Take some weed and put it into the glass container.
2) Cover the weed with citrus essential oil or food grade d-limonene in the glass container. I used a small nug for the test run, and later made a larger batch.
3) THC is soluable in d-limonene; most people don't do this because there isn't a good way to get the limonene out of the thc afterwards. But we don't care about that. Allow the extraction to happen.
4) When you're ready to make your candle - separate the plant matter from the essential oil/d-limonene.
5) Light your tea light. Let the candle burn until a pool of liquid wax has formed (usually takes 5-10 minutes for a decent sized area of liquid wax to form).
6) Fill your 1mL dropper with THC/EO solution.
7) Blow out the candle and immediately drop the 1mL of solution into the liquid wax. DON'T disturb the candle until it has hardened, otherwise the liquid portion will spill and you'll lose your product.
Cool Optional: While the wax is still liquid, drop 5 drops of lemongrass EO into the liquid wax. This will add myrcene to the air when you burn the candle and enhance the experience.

Ok, time to enjoy. Light the candle, leave it next to you, and chill.

Hm.....

I can't say that the idea of mixing fire from a candle with something very flammable such as essential oils (you speak of a ml quantity here...) sounds too safe. In the name of safety I would like to ask you to edit your post to include explicit safety warnings lest it be deleted.

For instance, you extinguish the candle so that you can mix the MJ/EO with the melted wax, but actually you are putting the flame away otherwise everything would go on fire upon EO+fire contact...and you will always find the idiot who might think, hey, why extinguish the flame, just drop the EO right in.

Actually the more I think of it the more dangerous your procedure sounds. It would be safer to just make candle using melted wax and EO, as it happens with candlemaking.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

oilman
#11 Posted : 10/17/2013 5:08:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the suggestion, Infundibulum. I have updated the OP to include safety information on parrafin wax and fire risk.

You could mix the liquid wax with the THC/EO mix and make a candle out of it. This is time consuming, and most people don't have a separate pot to melt wax in. That's why I suggest this method.

It's a work in progress - all suggestions and updates welcome! Let's get this working!

Pup Tentacle
#12 Posted : 10/17/2013 5:40:32 PM

lettuce

I can't see being able to inhale/absorb any appreciable amount of THC from this. Is it just for the "vibe" of having cannabis in a candle?
Pup Tentacle

You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.
Robert Anton Wilson
Mushroom Greenhouse How-To
I'm no pro but I know a a few things - always willing to help with Psilocybe cubensis cultivation questions.

Infundibulum
#13 Posted : 10/17/2013 5:54:32 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

oilman wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, Infundibulum. I have updated the OP to include safety information on parrafin wax and fire risk.

You could mix the liquid wax with the THC/EO mix and make a candle out of it. This is time consuming, and most people don't have a separate pot to melt wax in. That's why I suggest this method.

It's a work in progress - all suggestions and updates welcome! Let's get this working!

You're welcome!Smile

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

oilman
#14 Posted : 10/17/2013 6:36:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Pup Tentacle wrote:
I can't see being able to inhale/absorb any appreciable amount of THC from this. Is it just for the "vibe" of having cannabis in a candle?

Well, it has a vibe, but also I was totally stoned. So ... you decide. I've used it multiple times, and made more candles for friends, and I haven't hear any complaints yet. Very happy

That being said, it isn't the most efficient use of herb necessarily. It makes it easier to carry around since it's concealed (for those in areas in which it is illegal to have cannabis) and it can get a whole room full of people buzzed pretty easily (if they're close to the candle), not that this would be difficult if you were all smoking it anyways.

It's a stoner idea, it worked for me, I'm sharing. For a test run you could use a pretty small amount and just see if it works for you. My guess would be that it does.

Du57mi73
#15 Posted : 10/17/2013 8:56:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sorry if it seems like we don't like the idea. We are just confused by it. Lol. But I understand where you're coming from. Its nice to just light a candle and just chill rather than just sitting there hitting the herb over and over again. Plus if it has a different smell to it then it might be appealing to some people. Thanks for sharing. Smile
"I am cursed by the blossoming knowledge of my feminine ideal and she looks suspiciously like you."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." -AE

Nicita
#16 Posted : 10/22/2013 11:39:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

There are special lamps for evaporating essential oils. A candle light heats a small container filled with water. You just drop the oil in the water and the heat will cause a very controled and efficient evaporation with no loses due to high temperatures /burning. Also it is a lot safer, since the oil stay away from the open flame and can not ignite, unless you make something really stupid.

Here is one with dolphinsBig grin :

It is a really great idea! I will test it out for sure.

MaNoMaNoM
#17 Posted : 10/23/2013 10:40:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

LOL, why is swim always in a closet, 'meditating' with that E.O. burner? Big grin
IDK, but it really seems to be working for swim. Thanks for the bright idea!
*ALL WAYS WITH LOVE

SpartanII
#18 Posted : 10/23/2013 4:02:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Awesomeness.

It seems the best way to do this would be to "hot box" in a partially enclosed space (as long as you are safe about it).