We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
question on life and psychdelic experience Options

jbomma1942
#1 Posted : 9/11/2013 6:32:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I am just curious.... I had a thought today and I would like to share with you and hear what you think and how this question makes you feel...

Question....

Do you consider the experience we call life.... to be a psychedelic experience on its own in its own way?

I would be very grateful to hear what all of you have to say about this....
Here is some good vibes to listen to while your thinking about your response....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3Zs0r-dEBY

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

The Neural
#2 Posted : 9/11/2013 8:22:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

jbomma1942 wrote:

Question....

Do you consider the experience we call life.... to be a psychedelic experience on its own in its own way?

Fun question. Yes, could be one that has been deemed "optimal" for this environment.

What you don't understand, you can make mean anything. - Chuck P.

Disclaimer and clarification: This member has been having brief intermittent spells of inattention. It looks as if he is daydreaming in place. During those distracting moments, he automatically generates fictional content, and asks about it in this forum for feedback. He has a lot of questions, and is a pain in the arse.

Guyomech
#3 Posted : 9/11/2013 9:00:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Oil painting, Acrylic painting, Digital and multimedia art, Trip integration

It's all a matter of your perspective, and how you choose to alter it. Life can feel mundane sometimes because of its familiarity. No matter how wondrous the rich world of patterns and relationships around us is, we can't help becoming so familiar with it that we take it for granted. When we Ingest a substance, we alter that perspective enough to see new depth in these patterns, new connections in the relationships. This allows us to see deeper significance in ordinarily mundane things.

It would be great if we could always see this extra depth, but I think it comes as a function of having made that sudden perspective shift. The striking difference between an altered and non-altered state can make it possible to see the non-altered state in a new light. After coming down from such an experience, the so-called "afterglow" is at least partly about enjoying this new perspective while sober, letting it sink in. Then the new perspective is partially forgotten and partially integrated; the integrated part then becomes part of our "new normal".

This doesn't directly answer your OP in a yes-or-no manner... But I think that perhaps this one can't be answered that simply.

Inner Paths
#4 Posted : 9/12/2013 1:22:46 AM

Secretary of the Interior

Guyomech wrote:
The striking difference between an altered and non-altered state can make it possible to see the non-altered state in a new light. After coming down from such an experience, the so-called "afterglow" is at least partly about enjoying this new perspective while sober, letting it sink in. Then the new perspective is partially forgotten and partially integrated; the integrated part then becomes part of our "new normal".

^This.

From my modest psychedelic experience I have definitely noticed a more novel connection to non altered reality after integration has taken place, especially in regards to nature, landscapes and art and music, a deeper appreciation and reverence you could call it.

Reality is infinitely psychedelic once the wool has been pulled from the eyes, at least in my humble opinion.

Great topic!
"The love I've made is the shape of my space"

universecannon
#5 Posted : 9/12/2013 2:17:52 AM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”
― Douglas Adams, author of The Hitchhiking the Galaxy

Its all psychedelic

And Life is like the peak of the Youniverse's epic trip where it wakes up and realizes itself.

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

FractalObscurity
#6 Posted : 9/12/2013 1:28:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

universecannon wrote:
“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”
― Douglas Adams, author of The Hitchhiking the Galaxy

Its all psychedelic

And Life is like the peak of the Youniverse's epic trip where it wakes up and realizes itself.

FractalObscurity is a fictional character in a trans-dimensional universe whose imaginative antics are documented HERE(www.dmt-nexus.me). Not a single word mentioned in this story-telling project shall be taken literally or reproduced without the authors permission.

"WOW MAN!!!! WOWWWWW!!!!!!!!"

hug46
#7 Posted : 9/12/2013 1:55:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

universecannon wrote:

Its all psychedelic

If this is the case (and i agree with you on this point), do you think you need to have taken psychedelics to have helped to come to this conclusion?

Pihuechenyi
#8 Posted : 9/12/2013 3:25:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Much like with salvia you can forget you were ever human I would not be surprised to wake up (die) in 30 years and find out this whole human experience was a trip.

friken
#9 Posted : 9/13/2013 5:27:53 PM

I have gazed into the eyes of insanity and returned the smile

Guyomech wrote:
The striking difference between an altered and non-altered state can make it possible to see the non-altered state in a new light.

Excellent... the more opportunity one has to see their non-altered state in a new light the more interesting things get Surprised If it gets interesting enough you can see the rabbit hole you are descending. Go deeper and you will be convinced you have lost it. Stay here for a while it is fun and I could use the company....

Botanical Bliss
#10 Posted : 9/14/2013 3:22:23 AM

SeeingFacesInManyPlaces

I think life is a psychedelic experience in itself. Think about it... all the cycles and patterns in nature and how we die and are born and life keeps coming and going and evolving and changing over time. It's amazing. Not to mention how we have so much info in our minds... all the memories and dreams we have of the future.. all of that information is contained in our little heads yet we have vivid memories and thought projections... life is definitely a psychedelic experience
[center]Sophia's Light

In darkest night, when lights are dim, and all in sight seems sad and grim,
I find you there, your arms surround me, your spirit fills me and it grounds me.
I look to you, Lady of Truth, most ancient One, yet eternal youth,to keep me safe, protect my heart,and with the wisdom you impart, fill up my empty mind and soul,so that, my Lover, you can make whole, all that was broken in this day –and that is what I ask and pray.

universecannon
#11 Posted : 9/14/2013 4:06:09 AM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

hug46 wrote:
universecannon wrote:

Its all psychedelic

If this is the case (and i agree with you on this point), do you think you need to have taken psychedelics to have helped to come to this conclusion?

I realized this before doing psychedelics, but not nearly to the extent that I feel it to be the case today. I think you can realize it without them, that the deeper you go the more obvious it becomes.

But it also seems to me that we are thinking about "altered-states" in the wrong way in that we actually are looking at it back-to-front. I don't think these profound perceptual/consciousness/etc abilities are just lying dormant in us awaiting to be awakened or evolved into for the first time in evolutionary history. I think there is clear evidence indicating that they've atrophied over long periods of time time and that our current state of mind is actually the altered state. Perhaps this is why we all have had that "going home" feeling on psychedelics.

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

Orion
#12 Posted : 9/22/2013 1:59:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

psychedelic (adj.)

Occasionally psychodelic, 1956, of drugs, suggested by British-born Canadian psychiatrist Humphry Osmond (1917-2004) in a letter to Aldous Huxley and used by Osmond in a scientific paper published the next year; from Greek psykhe- "mind" (see psyche) + deloun "make visible, reveal," from delos "visible, clear," from PIE root *dyeu- "to shine" (see diurnal). In popular use from 1965 with reference to anything producing effects similar to that of a psychedelic drug or enhancing the effects of such a drug. As a noun from 1956.

(Etymology dictionary)

So it means what exactly, to make the mind visible? Or make something visible in the mind ?
Either way, that would describe someones vision of what life is. So yes, life is psychedelic.
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

The Neural
#13 Posted : 9/23/2013 1:13:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Orion wrote:
So it means what exactly, to make the mind visible? Or make something visible in the mind ?
Either way, that would describe someones vision of what life is. So yes, life is psychedelic.

Don't put too much emphasis on the "visible" interpretation. The suffix means more literally "manifesting". And "Psyche" means soul. "Mind" is a late interpretation, but the ancient Greeks did believe in the existence of a "soul", thus negating the interpretation of the word as "mind". So, soul manifesting, if you wanna be more accurate. Makes more sense, doesn't it?

Not that this pertains too much to the OP.

Disclaimer and clarification: This member has been having brief intermittent spells of inattention. It looks as if he is daydreaming in place. During those distracting moments, he automatically generates fictional content, and asks about it in this forum for feedback. He has a lot of questions, and is a pain in the arse.

Global
#14 Posted : 9/23/2013 2:26:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

The Neural wrote:
Orion wrote:

Don't put too much emphasis on the "visible" interpretation. The suffix means more literally "manifesting". And "Psyche" means soul. "Mind" is a late interpretation, but the ancient Greeks did believe in the existence of a "soul", thus negating the interpretation of the word as "mind". So, soul manifesting, if you wanna be more accurate. Makes more sense, doesn't it?

Not that this pertains too much to the OP.

Then perhaps we can view life as presenting itself as psychedelic during select moments when phenomena from experience resonate with the soul on some level.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb

The Neural
#15 Posted : 9/24/2013 12:08:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Global wrote:
Then perhaps we can view life as presenting itself as psychedelic during select moments when phenomena from experience resonate with the soul on some level.

Exactly Hofmann's lifelong interest Smile

those "moments"..

jbomma1942
#16 Posted : 10/17/2013 9:37:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You know.... thank you for all your responses... very well thought out Smile I don't know if this has anything to do with this topic....

But sometimes in life... when I go outside to have a smoke... I look around and listen and I get this un controllable sensesation where I smile... it only lasts for maybe 3 seconds.. but during those 3 seconds... I feel a feeling of peace.... but there is some kind of ugly face behind it.... it only last for maybe seconds but its a great few seconds...

thank you again for all your responses....

good vibes nexus...
good vibes

http://www.listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=1DG0rPmb5ak