We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Synthetic Drug Found in Nature: Tramadol in African Peach Options

Vodsel
#1 Posted : 9/17/2013 10:45:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

Source: RSC
Publication Date: September 17, 2013

Quote:
In another example of nature beating chemists, the African plant Nauclea latifolia has been found to be a natural source of the synthetic opioid tramadol. First marketed in 1977, tramadol is frequently used to relive moderate to moderately-severe pain. While other synthetic drugs have later been found in nature, this is the first instance where the discovery involves clinically viable concentrations.

Colloquially known as the ‘African peach’ or ‘pin cushion tree’, N. latifolia is a flowering, sub-Saharan evergreen that grows widely across Central and West Africa and is used by local populations to treat a wide variety of ailments – including epilepsy, malaria, general pain and many infectious diseases.

Quote:
‘The work described has been performed in a rigorous manner, and the highly experienced investigative team has taken great pains to show that tramadol is actually a natural product produced by its plant of origin, Nauclea latiolia,’ says Douglas Kinghorn, a medicinal chemist from the Ohio State University, who did not take part in this study. ‘This report…shows that the subject of ethnopharmacology still has much to offer biomedical research in terms of drug discovery.’

Reference of the study in online journal.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

alert
#2 Posted : 9/17/2013 11:47:02 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Interesting stuff! I didn't realize tramadol was first marketed in the 70's either, I thought Ultram came out in the late 90s. It must have been released internationally before being marketed in the US.

I love that we found what we thought was a novel compound in nature.

alert
#3 Posted : 10/12/2013 4:16:08 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Wasn't sure where to post this but I found it interesting..
Quote:

Synthetic drug found in nature

In another example of nature beating chemists, the African plant Nauclea latifolia has been found to be a natural source of the synthetic opioid tramadol. First marketed in 1977, tramadol is frequently used to relieve moderate to moderately-severe pain. While other synthetic drugs have later been found in nature, this is the first instance where the discovery involves clinically viable concentrations.

Colloquially known as the ‘African peach’ or ‘pin cushion tree’, N. latifolia is a flowering, sub-Saharan evergreen that grows widely across Central and West Africa and is used by local populations to treat a wide variety of ailments – including epilepsy, malaria, general pain and many infectious diseases.

To uncover the source of the plant’s reported pain killing effect, the researchers fractioned methanolic extracts of the plant by high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). The resulting fractions were then tested in an assay using live mice, revealing the fraction with the greatest analgesic properties.

‘Our results indicate that high amounts of the analgesic drug, tramadol, can be obtained through a simple extraction procedure from Nauclea latifolia found in Cameroon or sub-Saharan areas,’ says Michel De Waard, a neuroscientist at the Université Joseph Fourier. De Waard adds that the root of the plant could be viably used as a source of tramadol because of the significantly high concentrations of the drug – over 1% of the original dry content.

The team used NMR and HRM spectroscopy, as well as x-ray crystallography, to determine the structure and confirm it as tramadol. Further spectroscopic and isotope ratio analyses confirmed that the compound extracted was indeed natural in origin, and not a by-product of cross-contamination. This unexpected discovery supports the traditional uses of N. latifolia roots in the treatment of pain; however, although other parts of the plant are also used in traditional remedies, the team found no analgesic compounds in the rest of the plant.

While it is probably too early to speculate on the widespread cultivation of N. latifolia to make tramadol, the team have developed a simplified process for extracting the drug and are hopeful this might be of benefit to local communities. De Waard explains that while synthetic tramadol is not a costly drug in most developing countries, it is still expensive for many African citizens.

‘The work described has been performed in a rigorous manner, and the highly experienced investigative team has taken great pains to show that tramadol is actually a natural product produced by its plant of origin, Nauclea latiolia,’ says Douglas Kinghorn, a medicinal chemist from the Ohio State University, who did not take part in this study. ‘This report…shows that the subject of ethnopharmacology still has much to offer biomedical research in terms of drug discovery.’

While the study focussed exclusively on N. latifolia from Cameroon, several other species of Nauclea also grow across Africa and the team are now investigating if they also make tramadol, as well as just how the plant makes the drug.

Makes you wonder what other naturally occurring "synthetic" drugs we have yet to discover.

dreamer042
#4 Posted : 10/12/2013 4:45:05 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

One step cloer to finding the LSD tree Wink

This is really cool, thanks for sharing. Thumbs up
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

benzyme
#5 Posted : 10/12/2013 4:49:57 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Quote:
In another example of nature beating chemists..

lolwut

Very happy
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

dooby
#6 Posted : 10/12/2013 11:12:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

dreamer042 wrote:
One step cloer to finding the LSD tree Wink

Fingers crossed!
My avatar was taken from google images and is actually a work of art by NEIL GIBSON, credit where credit is due!

Bodies don't have souls - souls have bodies

Old enough to know better, young enough to try again

benzyme
#7 Posted : 10/13/2013 2:22:52 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

i wouldn't hold my breath. ethyltransferases are far rarer in nature than four-leaf clovers.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

universecannon
#8 Posted : 10/13/2013 4:33:07 AM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

Its a pretty big cosmos. So even if earth is fresh out of acid trees... don't give up hope!

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

anrchy
#9 Posted : 10/16/2013 3:58:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hahaha "acid trees" hahaha

Technically you could say that every single chemical possible could be found in nature somewhere in this universe.

I wonder what the antimatter version of Dmt is like.
Open your Mind () Please read my DMT vaping guide () Fear is the mind killer

"Energy flows where attention goes"

[Please review the forum Wiki and FAQ before posting questions]

Global
#10 Posted : 10/16/2013 4:03:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

anrchy wrote:

I wonder what the antimatter version of Dmt is like.

It's probably like taking your sock and turning it inside-out.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb

D.REYx420
#11 Posted : 10/16/2013 4:37:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

very cool, I wonder if they will find any other synthetic drugs in general in the plant or plants of the area.
"we are not human being's having spiritual experiences, we are spiritual being's having human experience's." (Teilhard de Chardin (1975?)

nen888
#12 Posted : 10/16/2013 4:42:11 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..remember DMT was a 'synthetic' before it was found in a plant..

Du57mi73
#13 Posted : 10/16/2013 4:07:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I can imagine them eventually finding a 2C variant in nature eventually.

As for Tramadol, that's pretty amazing. Tramadol is a pretty safe and powerful opiod. I'm glad it was tramadol found and not fentanyl. Lol. I guess this also means that african countries can start cashing in there trees for money. +1 for medicine, +1 for starving african babies.
"I am cursed by the blossoming knowledge of my feminine ideal and she looks suspiciously like you."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." -AE

vineseeker
#14 Posted : 10/16/2013 5:38:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Somewhere is the jungle or in africa there is the lsd tree. Smile

We have to find that tree! Big grin
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Albert Einstein

"It's very, very dangerous to lose contact with living nature."
Albert Hofmann

spinCycle
#15 Posted : 10/17/2013 2:37:19 AM

Life is Art is Life

vineseeker wrote:
Somewhere is the jungle or in africa there is the lsd tree. Smile

We have to find that tree! Big grin

I have visions of psychonauts everywhere with trees named Albert. Cool
Images of broken light,
Which dance before me like a million eyes,
They call me on and on...

AluminumFoilRobots
#16 Posted : 10/20/2013 4:14:10 PM

gufyg

Pretty darn weird. I must disagree with the above sentiment that tramadol is safe, it's metabolizes are mu opioid agonists while its primary form is a fairly nasty SNRI most closely related to (I think) the antidepressant "Effexor" which is perhaps the most difficult antidepressant to discontinue, from the reporting of a friend who was prescribed for a while.

The withdrawals can last a month, and my wife's mother was switched to this for a very short period (she is a cancer patient) from hydrocodone to this, and her oncologist warned her quite sternly about the potential toxicity of this drug, and that it was nothing to mess with. The seizure threshold thing is scary too.

But, regardless, it's great to see that nature has already invented so many things, with so many multifarious uses that we should really be finding all our cures in plants. On topic - three plants, poppy kratom and this funny tree, all produce usable amounts of painkillers and are all highly effective- what on earth are they doing producing all of these funky analogues, semi and fully synthetic painkillers for?
I guess that s not a real question
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Fairly responsible Kratom user.

"whenever he drank ayahuasca, he had such beautiful visions that he used to put his hands over his eyes for fear somebody might steal them."
in between the grinding-brakes of a train crash while aluminum-foil robots make obnoxious sex noises on a static-filled walkie-talkie radio.

corpus callosum
#17 Posted : 10/20/2013 4:38:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

That's not the half of it;check this link re an orchid producing.....wait for it.....Oxycodone!

http://www.ecology.kee.hu/pdf/0302_029038.pdf
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

Mindlusion
#18 Posted : 10/20/2013 5:53:10 PM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

corpus callosum wrote:
That's not the half of it;check this link re an orchid producing.....wait for it.....Oxycodone!

Oh wow, the Germans weren't novel after all
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

alert
#19 Posted : 10/20/2013 6:02:32 PM
DMT-Nexus member

corpus callosum wrote:

Interesting stuff, learn something new everyday. It is kind of surprising to me that the insect brain reacts to opiates. Does that mean that the insects' brains have developed their own opiate receptors, or is it theoretically possible for a drug to work without a specific receptor for the chemical effect? It has been a while since I took a biology class.

The original post mentions "While other synthetic drugs have later been found in nature, this is the first instance where the discovery involves clinically viable concentrations." I wonder if this could be one of the other instances they were talking about.

One step closer to an LSD tree Pleased

AluminumFoilRobots
#20 Posted : 10/23/2013 9:30:30 PM

gufyg

Quote:
One step closer to an LSD tree

O
heeeell yeeah
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Fairly responsible Kratom user.

"whenever he drank ayahuasca, he had such beautiful visions that he used to put his hands over his eyes for fear somebody might steal them."
in between the grinding-brakes of a train crash while aluminum-foil robots make obnoxious sex noises on a static-filled walkie-talkie radio.