We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Sohxlet question Options

VisualDistortion
#1 Posted : 4/17/2009 12:30:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Can a vacuum be applied to a sohxlet to lower the boiling point of the solvent?
You lock the door, and throw away the key

There's someone in my head but it's not me

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

bufoman
#2 Posted : 4/17/2009 1:01:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

You would need a specific adapter. Also be careful the vapors are not removed by the vacuum. Just use a low bp solvent. Also the vacuum may effect the efficiency of the soxhlet not sure though.

What is your reason for wanting a low bp with a soxhlet? Are you using a high BP solvent? What are you extracting?

benzyme
#3 Posted : 4/17/2009 1:04:33 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

that sort of defeats the purpose, unless one is using a high-boiling/viscous solvent
one of the aspects of using a soxhlet is the use of low-boiling solvents.

it is possible, depending on the condenser used. a friedrich has an extra port to attach an adapter
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Faust
#4 Posted : 4/17/2009 2:58:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The Friedrich has a port to be used to recover clean solvent from the top, correct?

Also, I don't think idea is very good, but it doesn't hurt to try if this would really make you happy.
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Sir Isaac Newton

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

benzyme
#5 Posted : 4/17/2009 4:16:39 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

i suppose the port at the top could be connected to some sort of vapor trap via adapters

but to recover clean solvent, it would be more effective to use a pressure-equalizing dropping funnel between the extractor body and condenser.

it looks like this

you keep the valve open during the extraction, and close it when you're done extracting and want to reduce the volume in the rbf, to recover your solvent.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

VisualDistortion
#6 Posted : 4/19/2009 9:09:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
that sort of defeats the purpose, unless one is using a high-boiling/viscous solvent
one of the aspects of using a soxhlet is the use of low-boiling solvents.

it is possible, depending on the condenser used. a friedrich has an extra port to attach an adapter

The proposed idea is to give a solvent such as DCM or iso alcohol an ultra low boiling point. It seems that current extractions of LSA from HBWR or morning glory seeds are rather time and solvent consuming endeavors. So the point would be to bring the boiling point of a solvent low enough to not damage the LSA.

VisualDistortion
#7 Posted : 4/19/2009 11:59:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm raking this thread for all the info it's worth. I think you will see what SWIM is getting at with these questions.