We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Egg whites in Ayahuasca Options

Warrior
#1 Posted : 9/24/2013 7:52:35 PM

At Peace

In the near future I will be trying the egg white technique described on this forum and on other forums. I plan to document the process, including the monitoring of pH at periodic intervals.

Based on my experience working with avidin-biotin lab techniques in the past, and my lab wisdom tells me the best approach is to use the raw whites, gently poured into the final liquid bath at simmering temperature, before it has reduced greatly (when the most water is present, for the purposes of specific heat and maintaining a constant temp as the egg whites go in). My lab wisdom tells me to leave the egg whites in for only as long as it takes for them to denature (turn white). The idea behind this approach is that the tannins will bind to the raw egg preferentially, and the remaining protein after being completely cooked will then go on to absorb other constituents in the brew. It is the tannins we want to remove, and nothing else. I do not know if it is the tannins themselves that give the characteristic color, but this trial may give me some clues. I plan to do this (quick) process once, or maybe twice, perhaps with two egg whites per attempt (all depending on what I observe the first time).

I'll post up some pics and a report after.

Comments, criticisms, and questions are welcome. Thank you!

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

BecometheOther
#2 Posted : 9/24/2013 9:59:10 PM

metamorhpasizer

You want to do an egg clarification on mimosa or anything with alot of tannins if you will be consuming a brew orally. But you dont want to do this with ayahuasca vine, because if you do it does take alot of strength out of the brew.

cheers
You have never been apart from me. You can never depart and never return, for we are continuous, indistinguishable. We are eternal forever

olympus mon
#3 Posted : 9/24/2013 10:12:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Tattooist specialized in indigenous art, Fine art, medium ink and pen.

BecometheOther wrote:
You want to do an egg clarification on mimosa or anything with alot of tannins if you will be consuming a brew orally. But you dont want to do this with ayahuasca vine, because if you do it does take alot of strength out of the brew.

cheers

I 100% agree with that it definitely weakens the brew.
I am not gonna lie, shits gonna get weird!
Troubles Breaking Through? Click here.
The Art of Changa. making the perfect blend.

vineseeker
#4 Posted : 9/24/2013 10:18:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

weaker brew and a nasty taste is what you get also with that. I dont use that.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Albert Einstein

"It's very, very dangerous to lose contact with living nature."
Albert Hofmann

Warrior
#5 Posted : 9/24/2013 10:54:58 PM

At Peace

But what about acacia confusa + syrian rue? Acacia confusa has dye qualities. Excuse me for being ambiguous about the source material.

I've considered activated charcoal as a filter, but have decided against that due to the nature of how it traps charged molecules. That would be a guaranteed way to lose potency.

The last trick I'm still considering is to vacuum it through a 0.2 micron watman filter (after decanting and filtering with coffee filters several times). If it's water soluble in warm water, it's water soluble. I don't know how many angstroms wide the tannins and dye molecules are, but at the very least it will take all the extra silt out of it, hopefully reducing body load substantially.

Warrior
#6 Posted : 9/24/2013 10:58:36 PM

At Peace

vineseeker wrote:
weaker brew and a nasty taste is what you get also with that. I dont use that.

I can't imagine the taste could get much worse.

I'm surprised by these responses. There seems to be a lot of posts in support of using egg whites to clear the brew, and a lot of positive testimonials for it. I'm confused. Surprised

olympus mon
#7 Posted : 9/25/2013 1:51:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Tattooist specialized in indigenous art, Fine art, medium ink and pen.

Warrior wrote:

The last trick I'm still considering is to vacuum it through a 0.2 micron watman filter (after decanting and filtering with coffee filters several times). If it's water soluble in warm water, it's water soluble. I don't know how many angstroms wide the tannins and dye molecules are, but at the very least it will take all the extra silt out of it, hopefully reducing body load substantially.

I promise if you do that you will have a bunk brew. The egg white thing works just lowers the potency so you'll just have to drink more. I would go that before I would try many other things you spoke of. I'd say reduces potency by about a quarter To a third. Don't leave egg whites into long maybe just a couple minutes. Make sure you drink the sentiment never use coffee filters never.

Warrior
#8 Posted : 9/25/2013 3:28:56 AM

At Peace

olympus mon wrote:
I promise if you do that you will have a bunk brew. The egg white thing works just lowers the potency so you'll just have to drink more. I would go that before I would try many other things you spoke of. I'd say reduces potency by about a quarter To a third. Don't leave egg whites into long maybe just a couple minutes. Make sure you drink the sentiment never use coffee filters never.

One difficulty I'm having is that with the sediment it can be very difficult to keep it down for long. In my last voyage I could only keep it down for 20 minutes. I was afraid I wouldn't get anything out of that. I completely emptied myself. It came fast and ended fast. Low and behold, it was a moderately deep experience anyways. But needless to say, even while the benefits of being physically cleaned up and fresh before the main event begins is a nice reward, I'd prefer the purge, (if there must be one), to come after the voyage is underway. At least then I can use that dark energy to ignore the beautiful artifacts and focus on following the pain to the places where memories are stored and then intentionally forgotten. I feel if I can't get my own recipe down such that I can down it without almost immediately losing it, then I'm doing something wrong. I've gotta try doing something different.

I'm going to think out loud to share my logic regarding the issue of solubility and ability to filter it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Through the heating process, in the presence of low pH, the dmt and nn-dmt become salts, (and the harmaline is as well). All the active compounds are polar, and highly soluble in water. The molarity of DMT in the ayahuasca brew is ~10mM, and osmolarity (assuming no additional compounds) is in the ballpark of 100mM. While it is a bit of a guess, most brine solutions begin around 1000mM. As long as it remains at or above room temperature, and the pH doesn't rise, all the molecules of interest should be perfectly happy floating around, which means the precipitate is more or less junk material.

It just occurred to me that too much vitamin C would be a bad thing in this case. Antioxidants tend to be very good reducing agents... Hmmm.... I might have to check some sources to know what a reasonable upper limit should be for vitamin C concentration.

Assuming the molecules of interest are aqueous, and all that other stuff that sinks to the bottom is junk, in theory the filter shouldn't be a problem. The active molecules stay in solution, and have a wingspan of no more than ~25 angstroms. The .2uM watman is exactly 2000 angstroms. That means the pores are a full order of magnitude greater in width than the molecules of interest. Yet, the solution that comes through should be translucent, with perhaps a slight red hue.

Some tannins can go straight through a 0.2 watman, but most are pretty, pretty big, and will get stuck in the filter (if big enough), along with all that other grit.

Anyways, that's my logic. There are a few unknowns in my argument, so please don't interpret this as gospil in anyway. I admit I could be way off somewhere here.

benzyme
#9 Posted : 9/25/2013 4:10:32 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

activated carbon captures tannins quite nicely. save the eggs for breakfast.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Parshvik Chintan
#10 Posted : 9/25/2013 4:39:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
activated carbon captures tannins quite nicely. save the eggs for breakfast.

so i can just run my brew through a brita filter, basically?
and that wouldn't remove any actives?
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

adam
#11 Posted : 9/25/2013 4:40:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have used egg whites and they definitely made a weak brew?

How do you use the activated charcoal? Just throw some in and remove it with filter?

benzyme
#12 Posted : 9/25/2013 5:26:20 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

yes.

I wouldn't run it through a brita though (may result in a considerable loss of actives), just a thin layer on a filter in a buchner funnel.
there will be a marginal loss in yield, due to the van der waals interactions between the carbon and the ring structures of the harmalas. AC primarily sequesters large molecules, beta-carbolines are small molecules.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Jees
#13 Posted : 9/25/2013 9:18:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

olympus mon wrote:
...never use coffee filters never.

I've heard that before about the reduced volumes.
Are you also referring to the un-reduced volumes, still warm, so it's still clear, not cloudy?
Thx.

olympus mon
#14 Posted : 9/26/2013 11:18:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Jees wrote:
olympus mon wrote:
...never use coffee filters never.

I've heard that before about the reduced volumes.
Are you also referring to the un-reduced volumes, still warm, so it's still clear, not cloudy?
Thx.

My experience with coffee filters is they remove way too many actives resulting in a very weak exp. I used them to filter a hot reduced 100g caapi tea and I felt very little effects. That's a good question you bring up, filtering before reduction I never tried it but ayahuasca doesn't make me sick now so my days of this kind of stuff are behind me.

Ill say this, decanting results in extremely weak ayahuasca. There are some that say its fine but I gaurentee they are not only super sensitive to vine but would need about a 5th less had they drank the sediment. The sediment is needed folks if you're looking to really get deep. It's not always easy to keep down but your body will become more comfortable with it over time.

Start micro drinking sediment and all as much as possible. Like 10 g and increase as you can. You will train your body to hold down the medicine. I have held down 400g of vine and chacruna easily by my 10th ceremony. Now I only purge when I have worked through a lot of emotional toxins and that's post peak.

It gets easier. Remember nobody ever said aya is an easy path.

I run my hot reduced ayahuasca through a t shirt 2-3 times that's all I really do. I also shake the bottle before drinking to distribute the sediment evenly.

Jees
#15 Posted : 9/26/2013 3:44:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is my take on it, learned it this way from others:

* filtering un-reduced warm volumes is okay, the fines that stick in the filter is exhausted wood pulp only, it has given away its actives since it is so fine. The bigger chunks will be recovered for further boilings or discarded after last boil;

* filtering un-reduced cool volumes is to avoid, since it gets cloudy and thicker by cooling of, it is possible that more than only wood pulp will get caught by the filter;

* while reducing volume, actives that are otherwise in solution will go over into sediment form, so filtering this is loosing actives, just as you say.

BecometheOther
#16 Posted : 9/26/2013 6:36:23 PM

metamorhpasizer

No, i highly recommend the egg white clarification, just not for ayahuasca vine, but if you are using eggs on mimosa hostilis or acacia for an oral tea absolutely do the egg white tech.

ive seen some pretty nasty stuff come out of a mimosa brew, i always clarify it (except in the beginning) and ive done it over a hundred times.

Check out this old thread for reference to do the clarification: https://mycotopia.net/fo...36-clear-mimosa-tea.html
You have never been apart from me. You can never depart and never return, for we are continuous, indistinguishable. We are eternal forever

acacian
#17 Posted : 9/26/2013 11:51:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

interesting to hear oly... little confused about how this works - aren't the actives water soluble?

Warrior
#18 Posted : 9/27/2013 12:06:11 AM

At Peace

I said I would report back again. I tried the egg white clarification. I live by the scientific method, afterall. Trial and error by careful lab notebook.

30g acacia confusa + 6g syrian rue
Another 3g syrian rue in a stevia sweetened ginger tea, sipped slowly over the first two hours of the voyage.

I tried a slow simmer, 3x 2 hours in a large crockpot with the cover on. Each time pouring the full liquid into a large stockpot, and immediately continue to soak the wood pulp with freshly heated water with fresh lemon and vitamin C added with each fresh batch of water.

Once all three washes began to reduce to about 1.5L, it was very murky, very dark red. It was literally 1.5L of viscous blood, all unfiltered at this point. I stirred and poured in two egg whites into the sub-simmering steaming water. It took longer than 2 minutes for the white to solidify into protein globs. The stirring was a mistake! Most of the egg was whisked into tiny, tiny little globules of goo. I scooped out the clumps as fast as I could without haste, and set up another stock pot with a large coffee filter in a strainer that sat on top. The blood red turned into vomit brown after the egg goo was floating around.

After filtering through the coffee filter, very little silt was caught in the egg. What was caught in the filter was a flat gray colored goo. The liquid that came through the filter was a beautiful translucent red. It was back to a blood red again, but this time, held in a glass container to the light, was beautifully translucent. Success. ....At least mostly a success.

This was a long cooking process. I don't think I will ever plan to spend this much time to repeat this again. What I would later discover is that, yes, the brew must have been weakened some... How much? At worst by 50%. At the least, maybe 10% (maybe). It's hard to guess how much. Let me explain why.

I continued to reduce further. In fact, I reduced probably further than I should have. The final volume for all that material was ~150mL (oops! Should have been 250mL). I let it sit in a glass flask overnight, sealed. In the morning I voyaged.

In the morning, the thick, blood red liquid was darker in the cold. I put the flask in a warm water bath and shook it every few minutes to redissolve a lot of the fine red sediment that did NOT come from the wood, but really did precipitate from the translucent red liquid I saw the night before. Warming it gently and shaking brought it back to solution that held without too much repeated shaking, but it was still a dark, viscous red again... Very thick stuff...

(-30 minutes) Small amount of cannabis to aid nausea.

(Time Zero) I drank the first 30mL at 10am.

+20 Feelings of joy.

+26 Starting sipping S. Rue tea.

+30 Body vibrations. Energy flowing through me.

+36 I want go to deep. I drank another 30mL. Nausea okay. A little at a time is key. Huge shots all at once are not a good idea if you want to keep it down.

+49 Even in the sunlight of day the visuals are beyond my control. Everything is beautiful. I can see the details our primate eyes do not see.

+55 Gone. Deep.

+1:10 Purge. Rejuvenating. Life flows freely again.

+1:13 Can I push further into the abyss? Will my body carry me safely?

+1:27 It's calling me to surrender. This is what I want. This is why I came to this place.

+1:31 Icaros guides me. My body needs breaks. This is exercise like any other.

+1:41 Small amount of cannabis to relieve my body woes and let the walls of my inner fortress open. My mind is impenetrable. Not even I can (yet) have the power to open the doors to my heart and soul. My entire life has been spent mindfucking, and playing psychological games with people rather than sharing my deep compassionate love with them. The riddles of my inner machinery is clear to me. I'm addicted to outsmarting the people I love, and setting psychological traps for them. Games are pure distraction from what is important in life.

+1:53 Exploring flow experience through my animal vessel.

+2:02 (Beginning to scribble in my journal) I am having trouble seeing the 3-dimensional world. I can't see past the visuals. I am deep in the shit now. Laughter! Uproarious laughter and joy! I am at home in my growing kingdom. My prowess grows stronger as I nurture the soil in which my roots nest.

+2:10 Still holding on strong. Haven't surrendered yet. Aya is calling me... Beckoning me to dive back in--dive deeper into the abyss. My naive bravery is strong enough to carry me far, far away, where only foolhardy and ignorant get lost, or where The True Warrior can go voyage safely to.

+2:15 Stretching and exploring my sanctuary. Grounding myself in the comforts of my safe sanctuary.

+2:17 The light tells me life rewards courage.

+2:37 Ready for launch: I drank another 30mL.

+2:40 I have tapped into the predatory soul of the world. Balance is the key to sustaining all life. I am a born predator of the abstract.

+2:43 It has told me to exercise my bravery when I return. Build your prowess, it says. Keep going. Fears do not serve you anymore.

+2:47 Going deeper. I drank another 30mL. And I finish the last of the S. Rue tea.

+2:56 (Switched to audio recordings and scribbles) I have not surrendered yet. I feel strong. I fear nothing. I have been completely swamped by this confusing world. Cognitive faculties are in check, fortress holding strong, but the walls are weakening. Clarity of thought is a difficult struggle. Meditating on the love in my heart maintains my cognitive faculties. It is all I have left. My body is gone. Only my soul remains.

(+3 hours) Still headed towards the peak. While meditating, I was shown by the light that my sacral chakra needs to strengthen and open. Posture. Confidence. This has been the direct cause of my ulcerative colitis all my life.

+3:05 The Choice: Learn to listen to your inner voice, and tune in it to the immediate needs and care of your body, or you will perish. Choose the Hero's Journey, or be annihilated and forgotten. The Choice is yours to make. You are a rare breed of creature with unusual needs. Live well, or die.

+3:11 Your fortress blocks out the music of your soul, it tells me. I still have not surrendered. It does not matter if my eyes are open or closed now. I only see and hear visions. Laughter. Uproarious laughter! This is what you came for....

+3:24 I am ready to free myself.

+4:57 Small amount of cannabis to relieve my body woes and let the walls of my inner fortress open. Still no surrender.

+5:24 Peak passing. Had a beautiful heart to heart connection with my significant other. She called. It was almost like her soul reached out to mine to lend me the strength to keep going. I welcomed her to my growing, abstract kingdom. We are building a kingdom, I told her. She accepted my invitation to expand our realm, protect and nourish the roots we share, and grow together harmoniously. We are both late bloomers in life. Beauty awaits us in the future. Patience. Work is coming ahead.

+5:27 Fear is the most powerful distracting force of all of nature. It is what balances life on the brink of death. I dare go deeper. Diving back in deep again.

+5:30 I drank another 30mL.

+5:49 My fortress is crumbling. As I approach the deepest voyage I've ever conceived of in all of my life, now my body is screaming for sleep and food. But I'm deep in the shit again. My animal vessel is now holding on for dear life. Full surrender comes and goes in waves now.... There is no fighting it anymore. I lay down in the sunlight in my sanctuary and allow my brain and body to rest. I have a long voyage still ahead.... Let the energy of life flow through you. Accept full surrender.... Peace, love, and joy await you....

+5:55 (Lost my cognitive faculties by ~90%. Scribbles and whispers into the audio recording only) The darkness shows you the infinite. Relax, it says. Quiet the brain. You don't need it here. You are safe. Relax. Relax to protect your body. Save your strength.

+7:00 Still peaking. 1.0mg Klonopin taken to make my brain shut the fuck up. Starting to get trapped in distracting logical loops my mind doesn't have the energy to work through. Exhausted..... Relax. Enjoy the ride, it says. It is only as rough as you make it....

+7:20 Accept the pain of life. Connect with your body. Rest. Enjoy.

(+8:00 Hours) Coming off the tail end of the peak. Biggest surfing lesson of my life!

+8:20 My loving significant other arrives home. She brings her warm smile and comforting touch. I am still in the tail of the peak, but I am beginning to bask in The Afterglow!

+9:00 Life is beautiful beyond beautiful. My body and brain are exhausted. The journey is coming to an end..... I still see visuals beyond which I can control. But I can work through them. I cooked a fabulous dinner on autopilot. My sense of taste and smell vanish once your soul leaves your body. I am grateful to have them back. Food is wonderful. =)

+11:00 Still swaying to the sound of my soul's inner harmony. Small amount of cannabis to ease my mind and body towards sleep. My body needs recovery time now... Overwhelmed by feelings of joy and compassionate love.

This morning, after waking up from a deep, restorative sleep, I took an easy walk instead of my usual morning run. And instead of running through the city streets and park where the homeless people are in the process of abandoning their makeshift camps, I brought with me warm bread and a thermos of coffee. I made lasting eye contact with them as I strolled past them, one by one, until I found someone that smiled back at me. It's in that happy gaze that I can see their true nature. I gave him my warm food and coffee. His name was Jeff. I told him I am happy to meet my neighbors. The act of compassionate giving is what heals our inner pain. It felt wonderful. It clearly made his day. He didn't want me to leave, lol. I told him I'd be back sometime again.

So whether or not it reduced the strength of the brew, it doesn't really matter (this time). This voyage was the deepest I've ever gone (4th voyage, 3rd breakthrough voyage). I don't think it's necessary to push your body and mind as hard as I did in order to receive the healing power of plant medicine, but it is important to me to test the true strength of my inner fortress. My burgeoning kingdom is only as strong as the fortress and gates I reign supreme over. The bravest of the brave have something to prove, but only to themselves. This type of journey is not for everybody. I know for a fact that no other close friend I know can withstand the terrors of the lost mind and come back again, only to brush it off like it's no big deal. Most would be traumatized by this repeat diving into the abyss for 11 hours straight. PLEASE, IF YOU ARE READING THIS, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPEAT THIS JOURNEY WITHOUT FIRST TESTING THE WATERS AND LISTENING TO WHAT YOUR MIND, BODY, AND SOUL ARE CAPABLE OF HANDLING. RESPECT THE PRECIOUSNESS OF LIFE.

Reader: You have been warned.