We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV1234NEXT
Salvinorin A Extraction and Purification Options

MelCat
#21 Posted : 7/18/2011 9:03:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Why is this not a sticky thread?

The extraction post is pretty important in my opinion. If I can ever get a salvia plant, I know for sure I'll be using it.
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

rOm
#22 Posted : 7/18/2011 9:39:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Melodic Catastrophe wrote:
Why is this not a sticky thread?

The extraction post is pretty important in my opinion. If I can ever get a salvia plant, I know for sure I'll be using it.

Sticky AND on the Wiki !!!

Extracting salvinorin alpha is enabling one to make is own enhanced leaves as X he wants.
Smell like tea n,n spirit !

Toke the toke, and walk the walk !

Metanoia
#23 Posted : 7/19/2011 12:12:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

rOm wrote:
Sticky AND on the Wiki !!!

I agree. This definitely deserves to be on the wiki.

Limeni
#24 Posted : 7/20/2011 1:08:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So I have done one 30g run with Acetone from the freezer and a coffee press...but when the Acetone evapped and I scraped up the residue, it was a black (dark green obviously) runny oil.

Does anyone have any idea why that happened...Acetone too cold/not cold enough? And shall I just carry on regardless?

I know, it always seems to be me asking these questions, but I tell myself I am helping others who are too embarassed to ask. Cool

gibran2
#25 Posted : 7/20/2011 2:28:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

Limeni wrote:
So I have done one 30g run with Acetone from the freezer and a coffee press...but when the Acetone evapped and I scraped up the residue, it was a black (dark green obviously) runny oil.

Does anyone have any idea why that happened...Acetone too cold/not cold enough? And shall I just carry on regardless?

I know, it always seems to be me asking these questions, but I tell myself I am helping others who are too embarassed to ask. Cool

Several questions:

Did you do an evaporation test of your acetone? (It should leave no residue.)
How cold was the acetone? (It can’t be too cold.)
How long did you keep the salvia in the acetone? (Should be 1 minute max. for each of 3 pulls.)
Did you allow insoluble solids to settle for 12+ hours?

If everything is done right, you should end up with about 0.5g or less of dry green powder. You can continue with what you have, but it sounds like you got more lipids (fats, oils, resins, etc.) than is normal using this method. It will require more naphtha washes.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

Metanoia
#26 Posted : 7/20/2011 3:33:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

gibran2 wrote:
How long did you keep the salvia in the acetone? (Should be 1 minute max. for each of 3 pulls.)
Did you allow insoluble solids to settle for 12+ hours?

These were the things I screwed up on at first. I do the pulls with a maximum of 2 minutes. Any longer and the acetone starts to warm up and you get more undesirables. 1 minute pulls would be safer, I usually leave it for at least 90 seconds though.

Settling is definitely important too. I thought it seemed to quick, and that was why.

I still have yet to do this entire refinement process. I will eventually, but for my uses, the naphtha/IPA washes aren't really necessary. I still get a very clean extract, especially when compared to most commercial extracts. I do have some IPA sitting around though, and plenty of leaf to extract from. I might give it a shot without the naphtha and see what kind of yield I end up with.

Limeni
#27 Posted : 7/20/2011 5:38:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks to you both. It's very strange because :

The Acetone is "99.5% Ultra Pure Acetone" from a very reputable Chemical Supplies company.
I hadn't evap tested it because of its kosher source...but perhaps I ought to now.

It had been in the freezer for 4-5 hours, and was too cold to keep your finger in.

I didn't time the pulls, but I was aiming for them to be one minute...they may have got up to 2 minutes maybe.

Definitely did a 24 hour "settle" though (I'm very anal about my settling / separating! Confused )

Anyway, thanks again for your comments...I have a new batch of Acetone just arrived today from a different source - so I will try a 30mg extraction with that to compare.

Actually, now I think of it...the whole evaporation went very quickly until the very last bit, which took ages to evaporate...like almost all of it was Acetone, but the last bit was like evapping water. Given that this is supposedly 99.5% pure, is that a bit odd?

Crystalito
#28 Posted : 7/20/2011 5:50:36 PM
DMT-Nexus member

A thought on your last question: Could it be that acetone "pulled" moisture from enviroment? Searching around the internet, i find it is considered hydroscopic...

gibran2
#29 Posted : 7/20/2011 6:18:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Limeni wrote:
Thanks to you both. It's very strange because :

The Acetone is "99.5% Ultra Pure Acetone" from a very reputable Chemical Supplies company.
I hadn't evap tested it because of its kosher source...but perhaps I ought to now.

It had been in the freezer for 4-5 hours, and was too cold to keep your finger in.

I didn't time the pulls, but I was aiming for them to be one minute...they may have got up to 2 minutes maybe.

Definitely did a 24 hour "settle" though (I'm very anal about my settling / separating! Confused )

Anyway, thanks again for your comments...I have a new batch of Acetone just arrived today from a different source - so I will try a 30mg extraction with that to compare.

Actually, now I think of it...the whole evaporation went very quickly until the very last bit, which took ages to evaporate...like almost all of it was Acetone, but the last bit was like evapping water. Given that this is supposedly 99.5% pure, is that a bit odd?

Acetone does absorb some moisture from the air, so the last bit to evaporate contains mostly water. But that is normal and wouldn’t cause any problems.

Was your salvia leaf powdered? If too finely powdered, that might contribute to pulling lipids, but I really can’t explain your results.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

Limeni
#30 Posted : 7/20/2011 7:00:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

No, the leaves were just chopped finely with a kitchen knife.

Interesting about it absobing moisture, I didn't know that. Because of circumstances the Acetone was left sitting in the evaporating tray for 24 hours before I could get a fan on it...which would have given it more time to absorb moisture...but I suppose that still doesn't explain the oil.

Thanks again - I'll report back after the next batch.

Synergy
#31 Posted : 6/30/2012 10:44:13 PM
DMT-Nexus member

So did you ever smoke any of it? For some reason vaping very active 1mg amounts scares the hell outta me. It seems like it would burn a lot easier at that amount. Also, I wonder if anyone has ever gotten hold of some Salvinorin A and done it in extremely large doses while mistaking it for another chem or something of the like.

Either way I've never seen a decent doable tek like this for Salvinorin A. Good stuff. Adding this to my to do list. What's the most reliable vendor of highly concentrated leaves?

gibran2
#32 Posted : 7/1/2012 12:13:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Synergy wrote:
So did you ever smoke any of it? For some reason vaping very active 1mg amounts scares the hell outta me. It seems like it would burn a lot easier at that amount. Also, I wonder if anyone has ever gotten hold of some Salvinorin A and done it in extremely large doses while mistaking it for another chem or something of the like.

Either way I've never seen a decent doable tek like this for Salvinorin A. Good stuff. Adding this to my to do list. What's the most reliable vendor of highly concentrated leaves?

Yes – I vaporized some.

It was a while ago, and I think I posted the result, but I’ll recount it from memory:

I measured about 16mg, then divided in half 4 times to yield a very tiny 1mg pile (approx.) I put it on the copper mesh in my GVG, and gave it a go: It took considerably more heat than DMT (no surprise there), but it eventually reached temp and vaporized nearly all at once. Obviously not a lot of vapor, and it was odorless and tasteless.

The experience that followed was a “typical” salvia experience, equivalent to about 20mg of my 20X. Nice and not overwhelming.

Taking a large dose, let’s say 10mg, is something that probably happens routinely – goofy kids taking massive amounts of extracts. 250mg of legitimate 20X contains about 13mg of salvinorin A.

(BTW – endlessness showed that my product is about 82% salvinorin A and 18% salvinorin B, which is inactive.)

The Electric Hippy
#33 Posted : 2/8/2013 4:03:22 PM

Glitch Modulator

Gibran2, you mentioned earlier that a thresshold dose is 200 micrograms. Would it be possible to make Salvia blotter/windowpane with your extract?
"In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves" - Buddha

Vodsel
#34 Posted : 2/8/2013 4:28:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

Salvinorin is poorly available through sublingual and oral ruotes. Oral activation of pure salvinorin seems to require something else... Check this thread for further reading and links.

The Electric Hippy
#35 Posted : 2/8/2013 7:52:57 PM

Glitch Modulator

Thank you, Vodsel. I realized I could have googled this instead of posting. I found my answer in the Shroomery 5 minutes later. I find myself doing that a lot recently; I will have to work on that.
"In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves" - Buddha

Gone-and-Back
#36 Posted : 9/26/2013 10:12:24 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Phlux- wrote:
has anyone tried this on salvia splendens for salvianorin c ?

I see that no one had responded to this, so I thought I would ask again in place of Phlux. Has this been tried?

I always wondered if there were other active salvia plants/salvinorins. Salvia divinorum is illegal in some states and other countries, so if there are other salvinorins from other salvia species that are active, that would be a nice thing to know for the people in the states or countries that do not allow salvia divinorum.
Everything published by Gone-and-Back are the mad rantings and ravings of a mind who yearns to be free and thinks he knows what he is talking about. However, these are just delusions made to feel that freedom, because that freedom will never come. Any experiments done are purely figments of the imagination, and are falsified to the highest degree. Nothing should be taken seriously from a crazy mans mind.

Metanoia
#37 Posted : 9/26/2013 11:07:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia splendens seems to be a bit of a mystery. Some people say it produces effects, others say it does not.

http://www.sagewisdom.org/splendens.html

I would be willing to try an acetone extraction if I can get my hands on some. Who knows if the plant actually contains psychoactive compounds or if they're soluble in acetone. But I'd still give it a shot.

As for other Salvia's being psychoactive, Salvia officinalis and Salvia apiana are.

Gone-and-Back
#38 Posted : 9/27/2013 5:30:10 AM
DMT-Nexus member

What in these other salvia plants such as officinalis and apiana are active exactly?
Everything published by Gone-and-Back are the mad rantings and ravings of a mind who yearns to be free and thinks he knows what he is talking about. However, these are just delusions made to feel that freedom, because that freedom will never come. Any experiments done are purely figments of the imagination, and are falsified to the highest degree. Nothing should be taken seriously from a crazy mans mind.

Parshvik Chintan
#39 Posted : 9/27/2013 6:45:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Gone-and-Back wrote:
What in these other salvia plants such as officinalis and apiana are active exactly?

officinalis has thujone (i believe β-thujone).

apiana, i do not believe has any documented actives (or even consistent reports of activity, for that matter).

in both cases, i believe there are some relatively unstudied diterpenes and triterpenes which may or may not (probably not) be active.
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

Metanoia
#40 Posted : 9/27/2013 8:53:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Parshvik Chintan wrote:
apiana, i do not believe has any documented actives (or even consistent reports of activity, for that matter).

I was only speaking from personal experience. It had a similarly relaxing effect to Salvia officinalis.

PREV1234NEXT