We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Philanthropy Options

VisualDistortion
#1 Posted : 4/16/2009 12:21:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm at a point in my life where I feel like it is time to take a direction. One of the things that I'm very interested in is philanthropy. I know of the peace corps but I want to know what other American organizations there are that do overseas philanthropy works. Especially ones where I could take my experience back to the states and turn it into a career eventually.
You lock the door, and throw away the key

There's someone in my head but it's not me

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

ohayoco
#2 Posted : 4/16/2009 12:43:48 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I don't know much about the States but I have heard that charity is Big Business nowadays, so working for any charity of any reasonable size is a 'proper' career now, with high-bankrolled directors etc. And given that many people who work for them are probably 'nice', it could be easy to manipulate your way to the top! I know that's not what you're into, sorry Smile The people who collect direct debits on the streets aren't volunteers anymore, it's a job and their knowledge of the causes can be quite limited, I was surprised to discover that. Nice to know you can actually earn a living doing it though.

Greenpeace? They're American. Maybe Friends of the Earth. Lots of opportunities abroad and a future in the charity sector. If you want to go less corporate, like the crazy guy who dropped out of Greenpeace to roam the seas as some sort of pirate ramming whaling boats, then I think there isn't much of a financial future to be had! Just lots of exciting stories to tell when you're old.

Or you could do something not specifically charitable, but helps the world. Like science (choosing your employer wisely). Or becoming a commercial diver, checking out damage to coral reefs.

Amnesty International, that's a very worthwhile organisation.
I started a thread about 'charities against entheogen prohibition' here http://www.dmt-nexus.me/....aspx?g=posts&t=3733
Everything I write is fictional roleplay. Obviously! End tribal genocide: www.survival-international.org Quick petitions for meaningful change: www.avaaz.org/en/
End prohibition: www.leap.cc www.tdpf.org.uk And "Feeling Good" by David D.Burns MD is a very useful book.

VisualDistortion
#3 Posted : 4/16/2009 9:21:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't want money, I just want three meals and to help others. On the peace corps website there are opportunities for teaching, business development, agriculture, and youth outreach. Those are all thing where you could take your experience back to the states and apply them to a career.

And I'm also strongly considering chemistry as a career path. I'm also fascinated by the human brain. I could direct my college education towards these and earn a related degree, but that kind of degree can't be applied towards any kind of philanthropic work. Albeit, working in those field is for the benifit of mankind anyways. I guess that's really what it's all about anyways, I want to help the greater good. I want to push humanity forward.

deedle-doo
#4 Posted : 4/17/2009 1:04:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

"Doctors Without Borders" does really good work all over the world.

Inner-city American schools badly need skilled motivated teachers.

'Coatl
#5 Posted : 4/17/2009 1:52:15 AM

Teotzlcoatl

Let's go fight pirates out the coast of Africa?
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

VisualDistortion
#6 Posted : 4/17/2009 11:42:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

If I could find a family to take me under their wing and teach me the art of acid manufacture I'd do that. That is a public service unto itself in my opinion.

ohayoco
#7 Posted : 4/17/2009 1:51:06 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I remember reading about an English couple in the paper who were busted doing just that years ago (at the tail-end of the rave days).
They were going for one big batch of acid, a first-time one-off, the plan being to make money off this one big batch so that they could retire early. The police said was worth £1m on the street, so I'm guessing they would've made about half that amount of money themselves.
But they got ratted out, I presume, and went to prison instead of Ibiza. Boo!
Everything I write is fictional roleplay. Obviously! End tribal genocide: www.survival-international.org Quick petitions for meaningful change: www.avaaz.org/en/
End prohibition: www.leap.cc www.tdpf.org.uk And "Feeling Good" by David D.Burns MD is a very useful book.

VisualDistortion
#8 Posted : 4/17/2009 7:56:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ratting an acid cook is the absolute worst thing you can do. To take away such a great thing from so many and to have such rare knowledge and talent locked up is unfathomable.

'Coatl
#9 Posted : 4/17/2009 10:04:56 PM

Teotzlcoatl

Quote:
If I could find a family to take me under their wing and teach me the art of acid manufacture I'd do that. That is a public service unto itself in my opinion.

My service to the public and the community is preservation and information about the active use of botanicals! Start a huge garden that preserves psychoactive plants! That'd be an awesome contribution to society!

Donate to Erowid or Maps! Help preserve cacti by donating to C.C.I.!!! Help Support the Community!!!

Please help support our community!

Make Some Donations, Join some Organizations-

Please donate some money to the Cactus Conservation Institute, Inc. and receive a bronze, painted or silver cast of a real Peyote button. Your money will help protect Lophophora and Astrophytum in their natural habitats as well as fund genetic studies of the Lophophora genus. Fund Lophophora DNA Research!!!

Cactus Conservation Contributions

Contact C.C.I.

Join the Peyote Way Church of God and become a bona-fide religous user of Peyote and a member of the Church. The Peyote Way Church advocates the cultivation and spiritual use of Lophophora cacti. Peyote Way Mission Statement

Peyote Way Church of God

Become a member of Erowid and increase the awareness of Psychoactives! You could get a magizine, a T-shirt or even a hand-made glass DMT molecule!

Become an Erowid Member

Erowid Questions about Donations- Donations@erowid.org

Support the research of Psychoactives with a donation to M.A.P.S.

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies

Cannabis Legalization

And last but not least don't forget to help Mr.(K.)Trout with getting his book printed! Please help him out! For a $125 fee you will receive a freshly printed special hard back edition of "Sacred Cacti 3rd edition- Botany, Chemistry, Cultivation & Utilization (Part A)"!!! A very rare and very vauable book!

Get this amazing book by K. Trout on Sacred Cacti

If anybody has any other worthly organizations to make donations to and/or become a member of, please post!

Please help support the Entheogenic Community, I think propagating and spreading botanicals is a key part in this... but propagating and spreading knowledge and respect is just as important.

~ Teotzlcoalt ~

WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb