We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
World's Ugliest Animal Named Options

Pandora
#1 Posted : 9/14/2013 12:12:23 AM

Got Naloxone?

Welcoming committeeSenior Member

http://blog.sfgate.com/hottopic...ts-ugliest-creature-pic/

The deep-sea-living blobfish was voted the world’s ugliest animal, for obvious reasons.

Scientifically dubbed Psychrolutes marcidus, the goopy marine creature resembles a grumpy old man or a translucent Jabba the Hut.

A British organization called the Ugly Animal Preservation Society ran a campaign to raise awareness for endangered ugly animals by having the public vote for its new mascot. Of the 3,000 votes cast, 795 were for the homely, dejected-looking blobfish.

With so many species teetering close to extinction, including the blobfish, the organization says people need to learn to appreciate the aesthetically challenged as much as the cuddly and adorable (sorry, pandas, you’ve had your share of the spotlight).

“We’ve needed an ugly face for endangered animals for a long time and I’ve been amazed by the public’s reaction,” Simon Watt, the society’s president, tells the Guardian. “For too long the cute and fluffy animals have taken the limelight, but now the blobfish will be a voice for the mingers who always get forgotten.”

Runners up in the contest were:

The kakapo, a giant flightless parrot in New Zealand with virtually no natural defense against predators.
The axolotl, a slow-to-age salamander that can re-grow its own limbs.
The Titicaca, a water frog with a funny name that’s also goes by the unfortunate term of “aquatic scrotum frog”.
The proboscis, a monkey with a ridiculously large nose and a gas problem from eating unripe fruit.
"But even if nothing lasts and everything is lost, there is still the intrinsic value of the moment. The present moment, ultimately, is more than enough, a gift of grace and unfathomable value, which our friend and lover death paints in stark relief."
-Rick Doblin, Ph.D. MAPS President, MAPS Bulletin Vol. XX, No. 1, pg. 2

Hyperspace LOVES YOU

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

soulfood
#2 Posted : 9/14/2013 12:17:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

I actually think he's pretty cute if you wipe that slime off his lip.

I liken him to a cartoon character so he's got instant hug-appeal. I find flies and most drinking-straw based faces to be much more obectionable.

Parshvik Chintan
#3 Posted : 9/14/2013 4:19:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

looks like a half-melted ziggy
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

sØrce
#4 Posted : 9/14/2013 5:30:02 AM

That was that and this is this.

Aw Parshvik beat me to it.. Sad

I think like the Ziggy comic character (which has never been funny as far as I can remember, not a single time did I laugh), God didn't really take a long time to draw it because he figured nobody really pays any attention to it anyway.

Because it's deep in the ocean and all Rolling eyes

I guess it's not nearly as ugly when it's not in the parking lot of the Deep Sea Marine Biology division of the Ugliest Animals Preservation Society, all crushed under its own weight and snots dripping out of its nose.

In fact theyre kinda cute and cuddly Smile

If the Ugly Animals Preservation Society doesn't have a parade balloon yet, idk what theyre waiting for.

sØrce attached the following image(s):
ugly fish.GIF (24kb) downloaded 148 time(s).
"The world is his, who can see through it's pretension...see it to be a lie, and you have already dealt it its final blow..." -Ralph W. Emerson

SKA
#5 Posted : 9/14/2013 1:45:54 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Pandora wrote:

Runners up in the contest were:

The kakapo, a giant flightless parrot in New Zealand with virtually no natural defense against predators.
The axolotl, a slow-to-age salamander that can re-grow its own limbs.
The Titicaca, a water frog with a funny name that’s also goes by the unfortunate term of “aquatic scrotum frog”.
The proboscis, a monkey with a ridiculously large nose and a gas problem from eating unripe fruit.

Really? I find the Axolotl to be amazingly beautyfull animals. I don't understand how
anyone could see them as "ugly".
I'm surprised to see that some EPICLY ugly animals weren't even contending:
-Surinam Toad; Godawefully ugly, flat toad. Looks like a toad that got the bubonic plague,
then got run over by a truck and was then left to dry & shrivel in the dessert sun for 3 days.
-Goblin Shark: May well be the most hideous creature alive. Looks like the infection of
Resident Evil entered the oceans & mutated the great white shark into something even more sisister.

How were these 2 ghastly animals excluded from this contest? Laughing

Pandora
#6 Posted : 9/14/2013 8:00:24 PM

Got Naloxone?

I thought he looked very sad and had a face only a mother could love, Razz.
"But even if nothing lasts and everything is lost, there is still the intrinsic value of the moment. The present moment, ultimately, is more than enough, a gift of grace and unfathomable value, which our friend and lover death paints in stark relief."

Hyperspace LOVES YOU

obliguhl
#7 Posted : 9/14/2013 8:27:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Really? I find the Axolotl to be amazingly beautyfull animals. I don't understand how
anyone could see them as "ugly".

Dito, they are really cute:

http://youtu.be/LeX2Fsy6WxQ?t=1m48s

Pandora
#8 Posted : 9/15/2013 2:05:36 AM

Got Naloxone?

That isn't ugly at all. It just looks like some happy, cute, hyperspace entity.

Hyperspace LOVES YOU

sØrce
#9 Posted : 9/15/2013 2:15:16 AM

That was that and this is this.

If the blobfish is the Ugliest Animal then what can they call this one

"The world is his, who can see through it's pretension...see it to be a lie, and you have already dealt it its final blow..." -Ralph W. Emerson

Michal_R
#10 Posted : 9/15/2013 6:45:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ugliest animal´s bigger brother...?

Pandora
#11 Posted : 9/16/2013 6:50:02 AM

Got Naloxone?

Yeah, that guy could use a serious makeover.

Hyperspace LOVES YOU