We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Growing in Thai - advice please Options

strauss
#1 Posted : 9/15/2013 12:04:08 AM
DMT-Nexus member

In bkk, just received some GT spores, first grow, it's mid-rainy season here, and I'm living in a single room place, the air-con leaves me two options of fruiting them on the balcony or in the bathroom. I was going to buy 4-6 level clear plastic drawers to use as separate fruiting chambers, the temp is good outside, can anyone advise whether this would work or not, or is there too much of a chance with contam's keeping them outside? Thanks.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Ancotar
#2 Posted : 9/15/2013 3:16:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Plastic drawers would give an added advantage for organization as well as extra space. Should work just fine, may have to mist once or twice a day to keep humidity in key ranges.

If you do decide to fruit outside, I would suggest making sure that you have a very good colonization-to-substrate ratio to help avoid contams, though I can't guarantee contam activity in your warm, humid area will be a small problem.

Keeping them in the tubs while outside so they can benefit from the heat, but not necessarily be susceptible to contams, would probably be the best bet.

I hope this advice helps as I am not sure how you will be growing these and what substrate you will be using (Brown Rice Flour, rye grain, ect).

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
"We speak of Time and Mind, which do not easily yield to catagories. We separate past and future and find that Time is an amalgam of both. We separate good and evil and find that Mind is an amalgam of both. To understand, we must grasp the whole." -Isaac Asimov

"You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger." -Buddha

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when my fear is gone I will turn and face fear's path, and only I will remain." -Paul Atreides, while being tested with the Gom Jabbar by the Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

strauss
#3 Posted : 9/15/2013 6:19:00 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks very much. I'm still debating which tek to use, I was going to do either PF (BRF) or mono-tubs. Can buy coir and pre-packed manure easily, and I can get Vermiculite and perulite easily as well. Question I am wondering is if a mono-tub will have much higher yields than a PF tek, will be worth the extra effort? I'm guessing that contams will be higher in this year round tropical climate, so will be starting with a liquid culture soon to give the jars a bit of a head start when inoculated.

Ancotar
#4 Posted : 9/15/2013 6:42:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

A mono-tub setup will help you to get better yields.

What I would suggest is to do the first go-around with the PF Tek method, get some healthy fruits and collect samples from the most promising growths, and then petri those samples up or make a liquid culture with them.

From there, you have a good 'blueprint' for your future fruits and with the mono-tub setup, that will substantially help to increase your yields. One thing about manure though, be careful. I had nothing but problems with it myself, which could be due in part to my sterile technique, but it just seemed like it gave me nothing but contam problems.
"We speak of Time and Mind, which do not easily yield to catagories. We separate past and future and find that Time is an amalgam of both. We separate good and evil and find that Mind is an amalgam of both. To understand, we must grasp the whole." -Isaac Asimov

"You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger." -Buddha

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when my fear is gone I will turn and face fear's path, and only I will remain." -Paul Atreides, while being tested with the Gom Jabbar by the Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam