We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Salvia wet feet Options

Caacia
#1 Posted : 9/12/2013 9:47:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello to all,
My question regards Sally's watering regime, I recently just repotted my Salvia plant from a crappy potting mix I was using, to a new potting mix I thought would drain better.
My main question is more so about specifics, how long would it be 'safe' for the soaked mix to stay wet at the top soil, down? I have a habbit of not being patient enough when it comes to my plants, not so much in growth anymore but I was thinking the mix should be drying within days.
My main concern is rot of course, and I was looking for an estimate on a time frame that would categorize 'well draining', considering my soil hasnt changed since I watered it 3 days ago.
The mix was:
1 part humus
1 part chicken manure
1 part orched mix
1 part perlite
1 part sand
1 part coco coir
& 1 part 'eclipse ultimate growing mix' ( more coco)

Should I remove the plant and perlite the hell out of the mix again?
Am I freaking too much?
I know Sally loves herself draining soil but how long will she sit in a wet medium?
I can post pictures if needed.
She is my only and I just want her happy, I know its easy to sit it out but I cant afford to lose her. D:
Thanks for all your help.
Well I don't know, I guess I said it to invoke thought.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Caacia
#2 Posted : 9/12/2013 10:51:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Im a bit worried, she's looking stressed. Crying or very sad
Well I don't know, I guess I said it to invoke thought.

Cosmic Spore
#3 Posted : 9/12/2013 5:32:27 PM

☠ ⚡ ☣ ⚠ ☢

A picture would likely help.

The watering regime will differ depending upon plant size and light intensity.

I used an inexpensive soil meter to determine when I should water sally, and recommend using one.

Vodsel
#4 Posted : 9/12/2013 9:59:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

First of all, Don't Panic.

Three days is a very short time for substrate to dry unless it's very hot, there's direct sunlight, or a lot of air flow, and all of those are not ideal conditions for salvia, specially if she's recovering after a transplant. If the plant is in a reasonably humid environment, with little air flow, the soil might need over a week to start to dry visibly.

If you moved the plant recently, and you watered it three days ago, and the pot drains well (that is, if there's enough draining holes and no water is accumulating on the bottom) just give your salvia some rest and leave her alone. But the mix should not be "soaked" or the roots won't breathe properly. Make sure it drains well and give her a little humid air flow if you think the soil is too soaked. But above all, if there's no signs of disease or a major problem, take a deep breath and give her time to adapt to the new soil.