We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Do entheogen-induced mystical experiences boost the immune system? Options

dreamer042
#1 Posted : 8/4/2013 3:21:21 AM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

Quote:
Daily events that boost the immune system (as indicated by levels of salivary immunoglobulin A), some instances of spontaneous remission, and mystical experiences seem to share a similar cluster of thoughts, feelings, moods, perceptions, and behaviors. Entheogens – psychedelic drugs used in a religious context – can also produce mystical experiences (peak experiences, states of unitive consciousness, intense primary religious experiences) with the same cluster of effects. When this happens, is it also possible that such entheogen-induced mystical experiences strengthen the immune system? Might spontaneous remissions occur more frequently under such conditions? This article advances the so called “Emxis hypothesis” – that entheogen-induced mystical experiences influence the immune system.

http://www.ayahuascacomm...xperiences-and-wellness/
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

adam
#2 Posted : 8/4/2013 4:08:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Fascinating article. This is some research I would love to see happen. In my own experience as someone who has an autoimmune disease I have to say I agree with the hypothesis. After I have "mystical" experiences I feel physically better. I would love to see if this type of research could establish some sort of dosing schedule based on particular illnesses. It would be nice to understand the full impact of psychedelics on immune responses and when during the day/month/year is the optimal time to dose for a given individual or condition given the cycles we all go through internally.

Keeper Trout
#3 Posted : 8/16/2013 7:26:45 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Keeper Trout | Skills: Jack of many trades, master of several:  chemistry, microbiology, optical work, stone cutting, metal working, botany.Cacti expert | Skills: Jack of many trades, master of several:  chemistry, microbiology, optical work, stone cutting, metal working, botany.Senior Member | Skills: Jack of many trades, master of several:  chemistry, microbiology, optical work, stone cutting, metal working, botany.

At the risk of sounding mundane its possible that the noted "non-dose dependent" elevation in human growth hormone that persists for around a day after having such experiences (ie a drug effect) might be involved in bolstering the immune system?