We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV7891011NEXT»
Book bin Options

jbark
#161 Posted : 7/8/2013 7:15:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Dictionary of the khazars, Milorad Pavic

Voyage to Arcturus, David Lindsay

I can't remember if i had already recommended these, but they merit a second mention.

As does Terra Nostra, Carlos Fuentes
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Red Eclipse
#162 Posted : 7/10/2013 9:52:23 AM
DMT-Nexus member

St Peter's Snow by Leo Perutz

review wrote:
A novel published in 1933, describes the isolation of a hallucinogenic drug from an ergot-type fungus. It remarkably predates the discovery the hallucinogenic properties of the ergot-derived alkaloid lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) by ten years. It also identifies ergot as the secret psychoactive sacrament of the ancient mysteries forty years before this hypothesis became a matter of academic and scientific investigation. In the novel, a central character plans to use an ergot derived drug as an agent of popular religious renewal, prefiguring the New Age religious revival initiated by the popular use of LSD. The story involves the mass testing of a hallucinogenic drug on the unsuspecting inhabitants of an isolated village almost twenty years before the Pont St Esprit incident of 1951, which has been ascribed to the CIA's plans for experimental dosing of unsuspecting civilians with psychoactive drugs. This article investigates how the author could have managed to foresee these future events in such prophetic detail and reveals the sources that were available. In this article the history of psychoactive drugs is set in the context of the political, scientific, literary, and philosophical culture of the interwar period and shows that the cultural history of psychoactive drugs is enhanced by such context.

Have not read this but I did not want to forget about it. Has anyone happened upon this novel?

adam
#163 Posted : 7/10/2013 4:53:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Genesis Revisited- Zecharia Sitchin http://www.goodreads.com...947066.Genesis_Revisited

Supernatural- Graham Hancock http://www.goodreads.com.../show/53324.Supernatural

The Archaic Revival- Terence Mckenna http://www.goodreads.com...1037.The_Archaic_Revival

I feel like these may have already been posted somewhere in these 9 pages, but they are awesome books so I feel no shame reposting. Also seriously if you have not ready The Archaic Revival you it to yourself to go do so.

Also I grouped these three together because they all talk about the "Other" and its role in human history in some way.

blue lunar night
#164 Posted : 7/11/2013 1:18:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi everyone,

I’d like to recommend Daniel Schulke’s recent tome, Veneficium: Magic, Witchcraft and the Poison Path (2012), which is a limited edition of 1250 copies. It is eloquent, scholarly, and crammed with all manner of pungent morsels, repugnant yet tempting. There are fewer descriptions of firsthand experience than I was expecting, but the few tidbits on display are carefully considered, for example:

Quote:

“
[my] experiments with Henbane, wherein a feral, ‘hyperkinesthetic consciousness’ arises, a kind of muscular cognition which functions as a sensory organ, specifically with relation to perception of movement at one’s visual peripheries and imminent threat.”

Here are a couple more excerpts to provide the flavor:

Blurb from the inside jacket:
Quote:

“In many esoteric traditions, there exists an iconic or linguistic corollary between the concepts of ‘poisoner’ and ‘sorcerer’, suggesting a sinistral magical kinship. Indeed, the use of plant, animal and mineral toxins is a strand of magic originating in remotest antiquity and reaching the present day. Beyond its mundane function as an agent of corporeal harm, poisons have also served as gateways of religious ecstasy, occult knowledge, and sensorial aberration, as well as the basis of cures. Allied with Samael, the Edenic serpent of first transgression whose Hebrew name in some translations is ‘Venom of God’, this facet of magic wends through the rites of ancient Sumer and Egypt, penetrating European Necromancy, Alchemy, the arcane rites of the Witches’ Sabbath, and modern-day folk magic. This persistent thread, here referred to as the ‘Cult of the Green Snake’, finds diverse manifestations in the varied traditions it makes home.

Veneficium concerns the intersection of magic and poison. Of particular note to this study are the herbs of the so-called ‘Devil’s Garden’, which bear relation to the allied witchcraft concepts of the Graal of Midnight, the Witches’ Supper, and the Unguentum Sabbati, the flying ointment of the witches which has exerted fascination over scholars, historians, and practitioners alike. Beyond consideration of the toxicological dimensions of magical power, the concurrent thread of astral and philosophical poisons are also examined, and their resonance and dissonance with magical practice explored. Veneficium will be of interest to students of magic, witchcraft, alchemy, botanical folklore, medicine, and occult pharmacology.”

and the requisite cautionary admonition:

Quote:
“
For those who tread the Poison Path, perhaps the best Knowledge of Antidotes lies not in any enchanted balm or chemist’s receipt, but in the balanced and proper Devotion to Fear. In its exaltation, Fear is the simultaneous knowledge and respect of those powers which can annihilate us. Its irrational axis, manifest in action, is cowardice and impulse; its flowering is courage and prudence. Robert Cochrane cautioned that the use of the poison sacrament in the hands of the fool was a ‘quick way to the underworld of insanity’, and this skull and crossbones stands as a waymark on the Path Envenom’d. Other spirit-roads may abide the fool, but not the Dark Lady of Venoms, for Mercy is a virtue alien to her dark droplets.” (p. 26)

blue lunar night attached the following image(s):
Veneficium cover.jpg (144kb) downloaded 358 time(s).

The Day Tripper
#165 Posted : 7/11/2013 1:59:22 AM

Rennasauce Man

Location: A Pale Blue Dot orbiting a GV2 Yellow Dwarf fusion powered Luminous Ball of Plasma at 30km/s
The Ethics of spinoza - Baruch Spinoza

The new inquisition - Robert Anton Wilson

Quantum Psychology - Robert Anton Wilson

Animal Farm - George Orwell

Up next-

Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand

Very happy Laughing

1069 pages, here i come

"let those who have talked to the elves, find each other and band together" -TMK

In a society in which nearly everybody is dominated by somebody else's mind or by a disembodied mind, it becomes increasingly difficult to learn the truth about the activities of governments and corporations, about the quality or value of products, or about the health of one's own place and economy.
In such a society, also, our private economies will depend less upon the private ownership of real, usable property, and more upon property that is institutional and abstract, beyond individual control, such as money, insurance policies, certificates of deposit, stocks, etc. And as our private economies become more abstract, the mutual, free helps and pleasures of family and community life will be supplanted by a kind of displaced citizenship and by commerce with impersonal and self-interested suppliers...
The great enemy of freedom is the alignment of political power with wealth. This alignment destroys the commonwealth - that is, the natural wealth of localities and the local economies of household, neighborhood, and community - and so destroys democracy, of which the commonwealth is the foundation and practical means.” - Wendell Berry

Learning
#166 Posted : 7/12/2013 5:37:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Do yourself a favor and don't waste your time on Ayn Rand Smile

Sorry to be a hater but imo she is a terrible writer and thinker. There are much, much better 1000 page novels out there Smile

bub
#167 Posted : 7/12/2013 10:18:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Matthew Pallamary Spirit Matters

P.D. Ouspensky A New Model of the Universe

I particularly enjoyed chapters titled 'In Search of the Miraculous' detailing his travels.

Victor Hugo The Last Day of a Condemned Man

Thomas Cleary Teachings of Zen
taina naina nainí

The Day Tripper
#168 Posted : 7/13/2013 1:55:57 AM

Rennasauce Man

Location: A Pale Blue Dot orbiting a GV2 Yellow Dwarf fusion powered Luminous Ball of Plasma at 30km/s
Learning wrote:
Do yourself a favor and don't waste your time on Ayn Rand Smile

Sorry to be a hater but imo she is a terrible writer and thinker. There are much, much better 1000 page novels out there Smile

Eye, to each his own.

I don't agree with all of her ideas, but i think there's something of merit in that particular novel.

You advice is duely noted, but since i already bought the book, slim chance I won't be reading it.

peace

DT
"let those who have talked to the elves, find each other and band together" -TMK

In a society in which nearly everybody is dominated by somebody else's mind or by a disembodied mind, it becomes increasingly difficult to learn the truth about the activities of governments and corporations, about the quality or value of products, or about the health of one's own place and economy.
In such a society, also, our private economies will depend less upon the private ownership of real, usable property, and more upon property that is institutional and abstract, beyond individual control, such as money, insurance policies, certificates of deposit, stocks, etc. And as our private economies become more abstract, the mutual, free helps and pleasures of family and community life will be supplanted by a kind of displaced citizenship and by commerce with impersonal and self-interested suppliers...
The great enemy of freedom is the alignment of political power with wealth. This alignment destroys the commonwealth - that is, the natural wealth of localities and the local economies of household, neighborhood, and community - and so destroys democracy, of which the commonwealth is the foundation and practical means.” - Wendell Berry

sabbathin
#169 Posted : 8/9/2013 4:40:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Good day. This is, to me, one of the greatest pieces of literature of psychedelic substances used by tribe shamans i have ever read. It's called "Las enseñanzas de don Juán" or "The teachings of don Juan". It's about the friendship-mentoring of an scholar and an old Yaqui shaman. Enjoy Very happy.

http://library.kisps.net...an's%20Teachings.pdf
Wormhole traveler

adam
#170 Posted : 8/10/2013 3:05:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Strongly suggest every human read this book

health and healing by andrew weil

sabbathin
#171 Posted : 8/14/2013 4:24:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Good day.
Wormhole traveler

dooby
#172 Posted : 9/28/2013 11:30:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

A confederacy of dunces - John Kennedy Toole
Illusions, adventures of a reluctant Messiah - Richard Bach
The alchemist - Paulo Coelho
The 12 chairs - Ilya Ilf/ "Eugene" Petrov
Siddartha - Hermann Hesse

...and the more obvious 1984, brave New World, Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test...the list goes on and on...I read a lot Pleased

PLUR
My avatar was taken from google images and is actually a work of art by NEIL GIBSON, credit where credit is due!

Bodies don't have souls - souls have bodies

Old enough to know better, young enough to try again

Shamasi Wiz
#173 Posted : 10/16/2013 12:14:51 AM

kissing stars, pissing lightning, dancing upside down

http://www.amazon.com/Ra...ords=rainforest+medicine

This is a new book about ayahuasca and other plants as used by several indigenous peoples throughout South America. It's chock full of mythology, traditions, preparations, and personal experiences. It also gets into the massive destruction happening to the rainforest, which poses a serious threat to these beautiful wisdom traditions that have been passed down for generations. I actually met the author in Costa Rica during some ayahuasca ceremonies with the most amazing Secoya shamans from Ecuador, whom he has worked with for years. He is a very dedicated, energetic, and giving person who writes from his heart and is constantly battling to protect the rainforest and spread the magic that exists there. Please buy a copy if you can, and check out the author's retreat site for volunteer opportunities and "council gatherings" with the real deal shamans themselves: http://www.guariadeosa.com
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

SalviaDroid
#174 Posted : 11/13/2013 7:57:51 AM
DMT-Nexus member

adam wrote:
Also seriously if you have not ready The Archaic Revival you it to yourself to go do so.

Thanks! Definitely will be purchasing this soon :]

Elpo
#175 Posted : 11/13/2013 8:05:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Just finished reading "A brief history of everything" by Ken Wilber.
I really really loved it, it gave me some really interesting insights into the nature of reality, our world and how it has evolved. Not only on the external level, but also on the internal level.

I recommend it to everyone!
"It permits you to see, more clearly than our perishing mortal eye can see, vistas beyond the horizons of this life, to travel backwards and forwards in time, to enter other planes of existence, even (as the Indians say) to know God." R. Gordon Wasson

spitstix
#176 Posted : 11/20/2013 5:17:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Details different psychoactive plants and their applications.

Excellent coffee table book when in good company Smile

http://www.amazon.com/dp...mp;coliid=I26G892FFUOC5V

brokenChild
#177 Posted : 11/20/2013 5:38:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

What is life? ~Erwin Schrödinger

it's actually fairly short, good read, practical and sciency applications (physics/biology life in general)

spinCycle
#178 Posted : 12/3/2013 3:39:46 AM

Life is Art is Life

One of my favorite stories by one of my favorite authors...

The Revenge of the Lawn by Richard Brautigan

Images of broken light,
Which dance before me like a million eyes,
They call me on and on...

Creo
#179 Posted : 1/22/2014 12:31:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

#180 Posted : 2/23/2014 7:48:04 PM

Game Master

this post was eaten by silverfish
Fear, belief, love phenomena that determined the course of our lives. These forces begin long before we are born and continue after we perish. We cross and recross our old paths like figure skaters; our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.
---David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas

«PREV7891011NEXT»