We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Collaboration with Acacia Confusa - a call for phyllode research Options

acacian
#1 Posted : 5/4/2013 2:52:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I already posted this in the acacia info thread, and was not sure if I should post this here or in the plant and substance testing section.. though as this would be a collaboration, it should be right at home in here ..

I just thought I'd bring Acacia Confusa into topic ... i've noticed over the past couple months that there seems to be an ever increasing amount of people discovering and using these trees in the wild ... and the assumption is still running high that it is imperative to use the bark (especially rootbark) for alkaloids.. vendours are following this assumption too and in some cases putting up misleading and dangerous information about harvesting..It should be said again that harvesting rootbark often kills acacia trees and is not a sustainable form of harvest. I think for anybody reading this who is considering working the with trees growing in their area , it would be very beneficial for the future well being of the species if they could do some experiments with the phyllodes and post their results up here. I have heard very little mention of confusa phyllode extractions and I think this area is in dire need of exploration before things get out of hand with wild harvesting..

As is the case with most active acacia, the phyllodes should be perfectly active.. and are a good alternative to using rootbark, trunk or branch - which especially in the case of root and trunk bark can be quite harmful to the tree when harvested. Phyllodes will likely be a slightly lower yield, though this shoudn't really be an issue as they are far more plentiful than the bark.. in fact fallen ones should be ok too. I urge people to start experimenting.. I fear that the rising popularity of Acacia Confusa could condemn it to a similar fate to that of acacia obtusifolia in the wild..

if we can get some good research done on the phyllodes of this plant, hopefully the general consensus about its active areas will become more up to date and less harm will be seen to this tree. this will also hopefully have an effect on the entheo-vendors and their "need" for marketing rootbark.

.. hope to see some people posting up results soon Smile

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Growmazz
#2 Posted : 5/4/2013 3:29:37 AM

This outa that, that outa this....

Hi acacian

Swim finally made a account after months of lurking since its time for him to share his Acacia project with you all Big grin

Wasn't sure where to start so swim stated his own topic which he just noticed you have already seen and comment on.. Here is a link for others:

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...;t=44138&find=unread

Once they are ready to move into the great outdoors swim will start other Acacia seedlings and clones as swim stumble's across them on his daily adventures Wink

acacian
#3 Posted : 5/4/2013 4:42:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I look forward to seeing how they progress Growmazz Smile

nen888
#4 Posted : 5/4/2013 5:16:37 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..good thread topic acacian..Smile

chocobeastie reported good results from phyllodes..

earlier reported low yields had way too low a pH to be efficient..see Acacia confusa thread p1..

Growmazz
#5 Posted : 5/4/2013 5:54:17 AM

acacian wrote:
I look forward to seeing how they progress Growmazz Smile

That makes 2 of us Razz

Later this week swim is going to order Acacia Confusa seeds. As soon as the A.obtusifolia seedlings and or the Acacia Iteaphylla clones are ready to leave the clone chamber he will get the confusa and more acuminata seeds started. Cool

Thanks to the few things swim still has around the house he can start anything any time of year Wink .

Having 75lt of mash fermenting in 3 x 30lt barrels next to the chamber also boosts my Co2 levels greatly which should help speed things up, later today he may even stick a airlock into a coke bottle lid and make a liter of sugar mash to ferment in the chamber under the shelf in it Big grin

acacian
#6 Posted : 5/4/2013 7:09:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

thanks for the info nen Smile I wasn't aware of chocobeastie's bioassay ... I wonder what the 'mysterious magic' in there could be? It would make sense to me that the phyllode would be better suited for human use than say bark, as I imagine that is the part that a plant would be perhaps more leaning to give of itself... though I guess that depends on one's view of why these alkaloids are in the trees in the first place. I'd be interested to hear of experiments with fallen phyllodes too.. if the phyllodes on the tree are active then I don't see why fallen ones wouldn't be active

nice Growmazz.. i was fortunate enough to be gifted a heap of confusa seeds the other day by a friend as well as some desmanthus illinoensus seed. I am going to try get some seeds germinating this weekend... my issue with growing in melbourne though is I am not a permanent resident of vic.. I go back and forth from vic and NSW and would rather keep my acacias up there. I'll probably have to end up giving the seedlings away that I get going down here but I guess that could be a good thing

anyways... bring on the info

Growmazz
#7 Posted : 5/4/2013 1:55:51 PM

Since most the family is here in Melbourne now days, until only months ago swim's mum has lived 20 mins walk from the Sydney harbor bridge since he was about 16. 10 years ago between Mosman bay wharf and hays street wharf swim had all sorts of amazing plants hidden around the place Wink

ok sorry back on track over the next few days swim is brewing up 8lt of 94-96% ethanol then will take more phyllode samples of Acacia's around swim local area which is between Melbourne and Geelong. (Swim will take photo's for easy ID)

Swim was thinking once the samples have dried he would grind them and do a strip down with the uncut ethanol (like he does now and then with mj). Swim plans on looking into tex that will work with what he's got atm Wink

Swim thinks his stainless steel 30lt and 50lt boilers will be a problem tho Crying or very sad so he will get something a hell of a lot smaller within a week.

acacian
#8 Posted : 5/4/2013 2:10:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I admire your enthusiasm and look forward to your contributions Growmazz.. Smile i'll just remind you that this thread is specifically for Acacia Confusa phyllode research .. other acacia research is welcomed and strongly encouraged!.. though the place to post results would be in the Trying to improve Acacia info thread rather than this one.. there are some interesting acacia's between melbourne and geelong.. I'd like to try and get back there soon

joshisom
#9 Posted : 5/9/2013 10:12:41 AM
DMT-Nexus member

hello everybody i will be trying to extract the phyllodes in the near futer and will post my results however as i told acacian ive read that ther is something poisonous in the phyllodes of confusa

acacian
#10 Posted : 5/9/2013 10:36:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

joshisom wrote:
hello everybody i will be trying to extract the phyllodes in the near futer and will post my results however as i told acacian ive read that ther is something poisonous in the phyllodes of confusa

joshisom..it would be really helpful if you could find the source where you read that information Smile

jimmy4fingers
#11 Posted : 5/9/2013 2:45:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey Acacian, can't send pm cos I'm not a full member yet. Anyway we're all for phyllode research and sustainable methods Smile Only reason my friend harvested trunk bark this time was because she needed a starting point and something for a comparison. She's pretty new to this stuff and haven't even 'broke through' yet. Hopefully the goodies dropping out from this cook will give her an idea with how things should go and what to expect from a phyllode/twigs cook. Thumbs up

acacian
#12 Posted : 5/9/2013 4:11:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

awesome thanks mate.. look forward to hearing results! Thumbs up

joshisom
#13 Posted : 5/12/2013 3:37:50 AM
DMT-Nexus member

going to collect phyllodes tomorrow will let you know how it goes

JourneyToJah
#14 Posted : 5/16/2013 4:05:44 PM

Free Spirit

It seems that I have quite a few of acacias around my area so I am more than happy to contribute.

Will come back when I finish the extraction on A. retinodes.
With these hands I have killed man and destroyed hopes and dreams. But when I open these hands I can hold my wife, make my children laugh and even aid others. It's not the path that we take but the choices that we make along that path that makes us who we are. -Waugriff

Key Omen
#15 Posted : 5/17/2013 1:16:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

JourneyToJah wrote:
It seems that I have quite a few of acacias around my area so I am more than happy to contribute.

Please let me know what comes of that! I've ingested increasing amounts of the bark to assess for possible toxicity and have gotten up to about 7 or 8 grams of tree bark from the lower trunk. Everything was fine, I didnt necessarily note any change in awareness, though I did not inhibit my MAO.

Dr. Mellon
#16 Posted : 6/14/2013 2:41:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

joshisom wrote:

JourneyToJah wrote:
I have quite a few of acacias around my area

OK, so, any results yet?

acacian
#17 Posted : 6/15/2013 6:34:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Dr. Mellon wrote:
joshisom wrote:

JourneyToJah wrote:
I have quite a few of acacias around my area

OK, so, any results yet?

yeah I'm curious to know if anything came of your experiment too joshisom?

acacian
#18 Posted : 7/8/2013 8:28:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

bump... anybody end up going through with the phyllode experiment?

Acaciasubliminata
#19 Posted : 8/13/2013 5:18:40 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I did an extraction on the twigs and phyllodes of A.retinodes, with no alkaloids found. Have had succesfull alkaloid extractions from the twigs and phyllodes of A.longifolia, A.sophorae, and A.floribunda.

acacian
#20 Posted : 8/13/2013 7:52:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

awesome AcaciaSubliminata.. would love to hear more bout the successful extractions? could you describe the forms of longifolia, floribunda and sophorae that you tested? any speculation on what alkaloids?

12NEXT