We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Scientist Harness Anti-Matter Options

VisualDistortion
#1 Posted : 3/17/2009 10:57:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

An interesting tid bit

http://news.yahoo.com/s/...ZARzbGsDc2NpZW50aXN0c2hh
You lock the door, and throw away the key

There's someone in my head but it's not me

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

vovin
#2 Posted : 3/22/2009 10:25:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Prototype and Design Engineer amongst other things, Craftsman

Anti matter is the fundamental purest and most effective form of energy that is concievable to us at this time. A hydrogen bomb is only 2% effective, antimatter is 100%. A tablespoon of antimatter could take a ship to the moon and back. This is one of the most important aspects of science today. Matter is not destroyed and with nanotechnology a interstellar craft could conceivably have a 100% recycling rate but still to perform the actions to recycle that material and to keep the ship moving and powered a powerful form of energy would be needed.

I dont think this is out of reach but it's not going to be something you see in a year or two either. A vast effort taking the resources of a nation was invested into developing nuclear technology. It will take at least that much effort to do the same with antimatter on a production scale to be effective.
If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing.

ohayoco
#3 Posted : 3/22/2009 10:44:41 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I thought anti-matter was just a handy invention because the sums didn't add up? So still a theory and it might just be that our current physics is wrong?

Or if it really does exist... maybe it's all around us but we just can't normally observe it... maybe it's all in the spice dimension? Maybe consciousness is anti-matter? Pleased
Everything I write is fictional roleplay. Obviously! End tribal genocide: www.survival-international.org Quick petitions for meaningful change: www.avaaz.org/en/
End prohibition: www.leap.cc www.tdpf.org.uk And "Feeling Good" by David D.Burns MD is a very useful book.

Cheeto
#4 Posted : 3/23/2009 1:03:15 PM
DMT-Nexus member

vovin wrote:
Anti matter is the fundamental purest and most effective form of energy that is concievable to us at this time. A hydrogen bomb is only 2% effective, antimatter is 100%. A tablespoon of antimatter could take a ship to the moon and back. This is one of the most important aspects of science today. Matter is not destroyed and with nanotechnology a interstellar craft could conceivably have a 100% recycling rate but still to perform the actions to recycle that material and to keep the ship moving and powered a powerful form of energy would be needed.

I dont think this is out of reach but it's not going to be something you see in a year or two either. A vast effort taking the resources of a nation was invested into developing nuclear technology. It will take at least that much effort to do the same with antimatter on a production scale to be effective.

I think solar power would help out, better source of power in space.
They say that shit floats, but mine sinks....why?? I guess i'm just into some heavy shit!

deedle-doo
#5 Posted : 3/23/2009 4:51:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ohayoco wrote:
I thought anti-matter was just a handy invention because the sums didn't add up? So still a theory and it might just be that our current physics is wrong?

Or if it really does exist... maybe it's all around us but we just can't normally observe it... maybe it's all in the spice dimension? Maybe consciousness is anti-matter? Pleased

Anti-matter is indisputably real. You can make it and it behaves just like it should. Right now it takes way more energy to make and store antimatter than is released by annihilation.

The physics here is pretty solid. What is much less solid is what the physics implies about the origin of everything. The best accepted models for the origin of everything predict that there should be a lot more antimatter in the universe. Nobody knows where all the antimatter went but there are some good hypotheses that will be specifically addressed by experiments using the LHC.

We live in very exciting times.

Espiridion
#6 Posted : 4/8/2009 9:20:47 PM

--who.??..ME??--

Exciting times indeed. I recently read an article about the underground station in the german countryside(cant think of the name) that tests for gravity waves. Understand that equipment of this type is from the highest quality engineering. There was a'hum' from day one that could not be tracked down. A junior member approached the higher-ups with an answer, that the universe is a hologram and this hum was the evidence of that. Anyway, it didn't make CNN, but that guy is now running the show at that facility.

And what about the microwave signature at the edge of the known universe? I can't remember the specifics but they don't add up either.

Perhaps one day we will know whadafukisreallygoinon, until then I am prepared to do my part by smoking and speculating. Well, smoking anyway.Wink

Have a good one.
Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens. Carl Jung

40oztofreedom
#7 Posted : 4/9/2009 12:20:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

jasons741 wrote:
Exciting times indeed. I recently read an article about the underground station in the german countryside(cant think of the name) that tests for gravity waves. Understand that equipment of this type is from the highest quality engineering. There was a'hum' from day one that could not be tracked down. A junior member approached the higher-ups with an answer, that the universe is a hologram and this hum was the evidence of that. Anyway, it didn't make CNN, but that guy is now running the show at that facility.

And what about the microwave signature at the edge of the known universe? I can't remember the specifics but they don't add up either.

Perhaps one day we will know whadafukisreallygoinon, until then I am prepared to do my part by smoking and speculating. Well, smoking anyway.Wink

Have a good one.

Someone posted that article here quite some time ago. I can't remember when, but haha, it was something I'll probably never forget reading.Razz
So glad to see you have overcome them.
Completely silent now
With heaven's help
You cast your demons out

--------------------
I lie compulsively, and I am subjected to mental disorders as to where I have trouble even considering my own existance.