We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
cacti identification / growing Options

ZaZen
#1 Posted : 4/5/2009 10:45:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hallo, something for the cacti Enthusiast here !

Recently i came into possession of three different types of cacti.
So I wonder if someone could help me with the identicifaction of those ?

The first image shows 6 cacti, which came to my attention when i was passing the local supermarket, they were one of the last they had, so i bought them.

The second and third, i received from a friend of mine, sadly one of those has grown very thin at the top. Maybe because of too much watering and missing adequate light during the winter season ? I wonder if i could cut the thin end and root it, then cutting the remaining cactus off, until the point where it`s getting more wide. Would it heal and continue growing although the top has been cut off ?

Any hints regarding their identification ?

THX in advance !

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

bufoman
#2 Posted : 4/5/2009 10:57:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

The second two certainly look like trichocereus. The species is hard to tell as there are so many intermediates and unknown clones on the market. It is likely though that they are pachanoi or peruvian. The top one I am not too sure about as the ribs are very defined this is a common phenotype of cereus peruvians ...
If you are interested in cacti obtain a copy of trouts notes...

If you cut the tip off it would no longer grow from that point however out of one of the aerials would grow a new shoot that could get thicker again (also multiple branches may grow...). This would def be your best bet. Just cut the tip off, let it throughly dry (1 week plus) then place it in some soil mix (cacti soil) until it roots. Let it root before placing it in full sun or you will have the same issue. With the rooted cacti half, remove some of the thin section, then let the wound sufficiently dry and heal up (a callus will form) and just put it out in the light in a few weeks to a few months a little bud will begin to form....

Phlux-
#3 Posted : 4/5/2009 11:01:02 PM

The Root

in total agreement on cutting that one - cut it off - callous it for a few weeks and root it - the piece will pup fast - 2 or more if ur lucky.
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

ZaZen
#4 Posted : 4/5/2009 11:37:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the quick reply !
Bevore i cut it, one question regarding to your post.

bufoman:
Quote:
With the rooted cacti half, remove some of the thin section, then let the wound sufficiently dry and heal up (a callus will form) and just put it out in the light in a few weeks to a few months a little bud will begin to form....

So first i just cut a little bit from the thin part off (tip) and keep this to root. After that i cut more of the thin section from the remaining cacti and keep it as you said above (let the wound dry....)

am i understanding you correct ?

Thx much so far....

bufoman
#5 Posted : 4/5/2009 11:42:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes I would so that the new cutting is not all curved and does not have a large thin base but you have to at the very least have about 2-3 inches to cut so that the new cutting can root properly. (It is sometimes possible with less but the chances of rot are greater). Then cut the remaining curvy thin section off so that there is a significant portion for new shoots to grow on the rooted section.

For cutting use a sterile razor blade, and wipe the section with a small amount of rubbing alcohol before cutting.

Remember to let the cutting root before placing it in full sun, water it a little bit every other week with gentle misting (Just keep it in ones bedroom out of full sun light but not competly dark). The base plant can be put outside in full sun right away maybe let it heal in the shade for a few days but then put it in full sun.

Good luck.

ZaZen
#6 Posted : 4/5/2009 11:46:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Remember to let the cutting root before placing it in full sun, water it a little bit every other week with gentle misting (Just keep it in ones bedroom out of full sun light but not competly dark). The base plant can be put outside in full sun right away maybe let it heal in the shade for a few days but then put it in full sun.

I`ll take the advice, thanks a lot ! Smile

bufoman
#7 Posted : 4/5/2009 11:51:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

No problem any more questions do not hesitate to ask.
I am glad to hear that you are propagating these wonderful cacti.
For great cuttings check out sacred succulents (coatl got me into them).
Also trouts notes is a wonderful book...

Phlux-
#8 Posted : 4/5/2009 11:53:33 PM

The Root

imo - check the damaged rib on the front there on the last pic - count up 4 areoles then cut there - remove the pup u just cut off and calous - only 1 cut required.
antrocles wrote:

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:

Quote:

'Coatl
#9 Posted : 4/6/2009 1:10:06 AM

Teotzlcoatl

I'd re-pot all those into larger pots with better soil.

Cut only the one that has gone all wacky and get them in some intense light and heat!!! Put them outside! It's spring!
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

bufoman
#10 Posted : 4/6/2009 1:30:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Bigger pots with a cacti soil mix, perlite, organic soil, and some sand. And direct sunlight as Coatl said but not for the cutting of course until it roots...

I still suggest two cuts. As you want a larger base for the arms to grow. SWIM has found with a smaller radius one will only get one arm. Also you want a larger base for support of the arm(s). As when they get bigger a thin piece supporting them will be likely to snap off. It is not dangerous making an additional cut so you may as well as it will be better. You do not want the arms growing out of a such a narrow section.

Phlux what do you think the advantage is of only a single cut and leaving the narrow base for the arms to grow out of?

Coatl would you agree with my ID advice?

'Coatl
#11 Posted : 4/6/2009 2:21:10 AM

Teotzlcoatl

I'd say the bottom two are most def. Trichocereus.

I'm not so sure about the top one. Lots like it needs some water...
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

Phlux-
#12 Posted : 4/6/2009 9:15:36 AM

The Root

well if u count up the areoles to where i said it should be cut ul see that it is rather fat there - it would be the widest bit of the cutting to be removed.
antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Phlux-
#13 Posted : 4/6/2009 9:16:22 AM

The Root

Can u take a closer picture of the spines of the first cacti.
antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

ZaZen
#14 Posted : 4/6/2009 10:54:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So many advices, thanks a lot!

I`ll gonna re-read all your advices then do the cuttings, place the crowded cacti in a bigger pot within the next days, and report to you.

Phlux-
Quote:
Can u take a closer picture of the spines of the first cacti.

I`ll hope it`s gonna help to identify!

'Coatl
Quote:
I'd say the bottom two are most def. Trichocereus.

I'm not so sure about the top one. Lots like it needs some water...

Allright, i flooded the pot that day already and let the water drip off after a long period without much water. Since spring has arrived in europe i`ll think i need to water it a little more. I intended to continue watering via sprayflask, once a month moisten the surface sligltly would that be enough?

'Coatl
#15 Posted : 4/7/2009 12:46:54 AM

Teotzlcoatl

Quote:
I intended to continue watering via sprayflask, once a month moisten the surface sligltly would that be enough?

No way! You can water the crap out of Trichocereus if it's hot!!! If it's 70-90 you want to totally SOAK the soil!

The pictures you just posted don't seem to be of a Trichocereus cactus. I don't know what it is but I'm 90% sure it NOT Trichocereus!

Phlux-
#16 Posted : 4/7/2009 8:29:21 PM

The Root

Maybe some strange pedro x torch ? - perhaps some other trich or a hybrid or not even a trich at all.
Various growing conditions can alter the appearance of cacti a lot.
Sorry man no usefull input from here.
Very odd looking cactus.
antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

'Coatl
#17 Posted : 4/7/2009 11:21:47 PM

Teotzlcoatl

I'll bet you $5 it's not Trichocereus... not the one in post #14 Posted : Monday, April 06, 2009 4:54:27 PM.

Smile

Ya got $5 bucks?

Phlux-
#18 Posted : 4/8/2009 8:07:24 AM

The Root

got $5 but i dont gamble - sorry coatl Smile also u sound preddy sure - im totally not sure as indicated by my post.
antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote: