We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV89101112NEXT»
What scale do you use? Options

a1pha
#181 Posted : 7/15/2013 5:28:43 PM

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

It is very important... especially when working with high-precision doses like pharma. You can get a decent one for around $50 bucks and spending those extra few bucks can make the difference between hitting your desired target zone and going a little too far. It is also important when properly weighing chemicals for certain extraction teks.

I am currently using the American Weigh GPR-20 Gemini-PRO which does the job well but isn't my ideal scale. My dream scale is the Sartorius Practum 213-1S, but it will be a year or two before I can justify the expense.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Humble Hermit
#182 Posted : 7/15/2013 5:38:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Drool that Satorius is one sexy scale!!
if you wanna try suicide, first try something completely different

DO NOT QUESTION MY PAN-DIMENSIONAL KITTENS

endlessness
#183 Posted : 7/15/2013 5:53:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Personally I work different than most people here...

I've worked with mg scale, and also just with 0.01g (or 10mg) scale, or also with no scale at all.

I have worked with measuring accurately every single dose I smoked, but I have also often worked differently. I often have loaded anyways more than one dose in my GVG at a time, like maybe two doses or so (say, 0.06g), and then I just vaporize till I can't, till I don't even know how to operate the lighter anymore. I do this only when I'm aiming for a breakthrough, of course. Sometimes this is in one hit, sometimes in three, it depends....

Or if I don't want a breakthrough, I just take small hits and get to where I want.

The thing is, I already know before the trip starts, as soon as I take the hit, by the initial effects when im holding the vapor in my lungs before the real effects come up, how far i'm gonna go, so I can 'callibrate' myself pretty well and know if I should vaporize more or not.

I'm not saying you should do this, or recommending to beginners, I'm just sharing my own experience. Maybe it's better you get a milligram scale because it might be useful for DMT or extremely important for other substances (such as 5-MeO-DMT), and then with DMT once you know your own dosage more or less and you feel confident to smoke it without a scale, you can do it. But maybe better get some experience before that.

As for pharma, personally I need a very high dose of DMT for pharma, like 200mg, so a mg scale really is not necessary, a 10mg scale would be more than enough. The difference of +-10mg would be imperceptible for me with pharma. There's this weird aspect about pharma that a very high dosage is needed by some people, but when taking full-plant brew like ayahuasca, I and others do not need such high dosages as compared to other people. Must be somehow related to other plant components that change metabolism of DMT.

Walter D. Roy
#184 Posted : 7/15/2013 9:27:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

wage. wrote:
Walter D. Roy wrote:
anrchy wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Gemini-20-Portable-Milligram/dp/B0012TDNAM

$20 bucks my friend, and I as well as MANY nexians can vouche for its abilities.

I've gotten this scale twice now. And both times its failed meSad i think it off by 0.080 now for no reason

I ordered the exact same scale from Amazon 1-2 months ago and it's still working fine. It looks like you've just had bad luck.

It sounds like it because everyone always says it works fine Sad it sucks.
The Unknown = A Place to Learn

Infectedstyle
#185 Posted : 7/15/2013 9:46:12 PM
I compulsively post from time to time

i have a 0,01 scale which is kind of reliable except from time to time it will jump weights. It is very hard to eyeball a DMT dose so i like it. It's nice to know exactly how much i'm filling my pipe with. The only downside is that it eats batteries like i eat potato chips. Much monch munch

sometimes tho, i don't bother weighing and just dose up Smile

Gone-and-Back
#186 Posted : 7/18/2013 2:22:56 AM
DMT-Nexus member

http://www.amazon.com/Am...d=1374110481&sr=1-13

This was the scale that I usually used. I know its a bit more pricey, but its a REALLY good scale.

If you go with the other American Weigh one, make sure to place a dime on it before placing the weigh dish. The dish and the scale do not connect properly and always give different readings, unless something is placed between them to ensure a better fitting. A dime is all it needs.
Everything published by Gone-and-Back are the mad rantings and ravings of a mind who yearns to be free and thinks he knows what he is talking about. However, these are just delusions made to feel that freedom, because that freedom will never come. Any experiments done are purely figments of the imagination, and are falsified to the highest degree. Nothing should be taken seriously from a crazy mans mind.

oldsoul
#187 Posted : 8/10/2013 5:59:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Just wanted to check with people about this mg scale I got a while back from Amazon, the American Weigh GPR-20 model. I dunno if it's busted, should I warrantee it or what? I bought this one cause it seemed about mid-range (not the cheapest of the cheap anyway).

When I calibrate it, and then weigh the 10g weight it comes with, it measures 10.008 g, every time. I figured no big deal, since I was weighing spice and 8mg wouldn't be a huge difference in effects, since I've only ever had goo and I determined the proper dose to be about 50-60mg.

Then today I received noopept and went to weigh 10mg of it for my first trial. I used the tiny scoop which came w/ the noopept, sprinkled a tiny bit on the scale platform, it read zero, sprinkled a tiny bit more, still zero, tiny bit more, it jumped up to 19mg! I attempted to scoop some off & replaced the dish, and it went up to 24mg!

This whole time I had one of the 10g weights on the dish also, cause I heard it was more accurate that way. When the position of that weight shifted, that alone caused a jump in a few mg of weight!

What is going on here, should I warranty this thing? Do others experience the same with this model? I read about putting a dime between the dish and the scale but haven't tried it, does that work? I'm kinda disappointed with this performance

Thanks! Thumbs up

One epiphany short of a paradigm shift

Entheogenerator
#188 Posted : 8/10/2013 6:49:44 AM

Homo discens

I have this same scale. As far as the calibration weight, mine comes out to 10.008. I just figured the weight wasn't exactly 10g. I have a cheap set of different calibration weights and several of them are a little bit off from the weight they are supposed to be. I have never had problems with inaccurate weighing though... sounds like maybe you ought to replace it.
"It's all fun and games until someone loses an I" - Ringworm
Attitude PageHealth & SafetyFAQKnown Substance InteractionsExtraction TeksThe Machine

arcologist
#189 Posted : 8/10/2013 7:24:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Maybe your calibration weight has some oily residue on it from handling? My scale came with tweezers for handling the weights because of this.

A possible workaround: weight out a larger amount of the substance (say like 10x) and then dissolve that into a volatile solvent (i.e. acetone). It's easier to precisely measure small volumes, so divide the solution into 10 equal parts, then evaporate one part to get the desired amount of substance.

sabbathin
#190 Posted : 8/10/2013 5:29:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't know about your scale, but it sounds like it is not well leveled. Most of the scales i know come with a compass like structure, try to set the bubble in the middle circle.
Wormhole traveler

anrchy
#191 Posted : 8/10/2013 6:54:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Also any draft of wind (you breathing) or vibrations from people walking around ect can throw it off. I found placing a small square of closed foam underneath the scale itself helps isolate it.

I use a peice of paper to place the goodies on. Use two cut to the same size that weigh the same. Place the paper with goodies on it onto the scale then take off to add more or remove some then place back on. Mine shuts off sometimes in the middle of this, hence the other peice of paper to tare it out at that weight again.
Open your Mind () Please read my DMT vaping guide () Fear is the mind killer

"Energy flows where attention goes"

[Please review the forum Wiki and FAQ before posting questions]

Gone-and-Back
#192 Posted : 8/10/2013 7:10:16 PM
DMT-Nexus member

If this is the scale I am thinking of I had one as well, and the issue is that the weighing platform is slightly indented into the scale. Because of this, the weighing dish contacts the ridges around the platform, causing an inacurate measurement.

I found that if you place a dime on the weighing platform, zero that, and then place the weighing dish ontop of the dime, this issue is no longer a problem. It prevents the dish from contacting the ridges around the platform.

Hope this helps
Everything published by Gone-and-Back are the mad rantings and ravings of a mind who yearns to be free and thinks he knows what he is talking about. However, these are just delusions made to feel that freedom, because that freedom will never come. Any experiments done are purely figments of the imagination, and are falsified to the highest degree. Nothing should be taken seriously from a crazy mans mind.

oldsoul
#193 Posted : 8/11/2013 7:47:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks guys I will check to make sure it's fully level, and use a foam pad, then see if there is any improvement.

One epiphany short of a paradigm shift

imPsimon
#194 Posted : 8/11/2013 11:21:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Remove your phone and computer from area where you are weighing.
Also, dont drop crystals directly on the scale.
Lift whatever you put your crystals on (piece of paper, weighing boat etc) of the scale before
you put anything on it. That way it shouldn't make any crazy jumps.
Also you could try and not tare your "weighing boat".
Say you weigh your "weighing boat" 5 times and you average 150mg.
Lift it off and put your crystals on and weigh it again and just calculate the difference.

Make many weighings as well and calculate the average. Scales in that price range can be
somewhat unreliable.

Gone-and-Back
#195 Posted : 8/12/2013 1:47:24 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Actually, I was thinking of the gemini-20 by American Weigh, that is the one that needs the dime mod.

The GPR-20 PRO is a much more reliable one, and if that is what you have then I dont know what that is happening. I use to use the GRP-20 PRO after having the Gemini, and I never had an issue with it.

Sorry for the confusion

sabbathin
#196 Posted : 8/14/2013 9:58:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Did you finally get it to work?
Wormhole traveler

starway6
#197 Posted : 9/27/2013 6:33:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I hope asking about info on a pocket [mg scale] is alowed on nexus..

Just want advice on the cheapest posible ..[but reasonabley acurate]..MG pocket scale available on line/..
Ive been looking on line and have found some pocket scales ,,,
[ 4 scales from T mart]..that weighs from..40 to 20 grams.. down to .[one MG] ..that are priced at about 40 dollars more or less..
But When i E mail them ..they wont answer?..
Are these cheaper scales all junk... or do i have to spend 100 dollars or more for one?
Any advice apreciated...Smile

ymer
#198 Posted : 9/27/2013 6:37:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have a 0.001g up to 20g scale from ebay, it was about $15 and it's very good with free shipping directly from china.

DeDao
#199 Posted : 9/27/2013 8:27:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ymer wrote:
I have a 0.001g up to 20g scale from ebay, it was about $15 and it's very good with free shipping directly from china.

Same here! Thumbs up
"Think more than you speak"
"How do you get rid of the pain of having pain in the first place? You get rid of expectations"
"You are everything that is. Open yourself to the love and understanding that is available."
"To see God, you have to have met the Devil."
"When you know how to listen, everyone becomes a guru."
" One time, I didn't do anything, and it was so empty... Almost as if I wasn't doing anything. Then I wrote about it. It was fulfilling."

starway6
#200 Posted : 9/27/2013 11:06:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DeDao wrote:
ymer wrote:

Same here! Thumbs up

only 15 dollars?...Is it fairly acurate?
Is the same scale still available?
Can you show me how i can order this same scale?

«PREV89101112NEXT»