We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
native/naturalized edible/useful plants Options

MagicGing
#1 Posted : 7/16/2013 4:21:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

hello all! i would like this thread to be about native/ naturalized edible or useful plants, where they grow natively, and what part of a forest they do grow in in the wild; i think it would be best to stick to the 7 zones in a permaculture food forest: canopy, subcanopy, shrub, climber/vertical growth, horizontal growth, rhizosphere, and herbaceous.
pictures of the plant growing wild would be very helpful, as we could determine from there what part of the forest it would grow in and possible companions

maybe there could be a specific format for each plant? something like:

Big grin

(scientific name)
(common names)

(pics)

(where it natively grows/naturalized)
(what part of a forest the plant grows in)

(perennial/annual and what season)

(edible/ useful part and what is its use)
(nutrition info)

or something like that.
i think with enough contribution from fellow nexians this could really take off and help people that want to start something like a native food forest, or just a garden with a few natives in it!

any comments or suggestions would be appreciated Smile
β€œThe swans go on the path of the sun, they go through the ether by means of their miraculous power; the wise are led out of this world, when they have conquered Mara (desire) and his train" Dhammapada

"But is it probable," asked Pascal, "that probability gives assurance? Nothing gives certainty but truth; nothing gives rest but for the sincere search for truth"

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

MagicGing
#2 Posted : 7/16/2013 4:33:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ill go first Big grin

Aronia spp
Chokeberry, Aronia

i will be taking pics of the one i found in a bit

Aronia grows nativly throughout the east coast of america and in Europe
i would say a shrub, maybe sub canopy

perennial

the berries are edible and contain extremely high amounts of anthocyanins, making the taste astringent
β€œThe swans go on the path of the sun, they go through the ether by means of their miraculous power; the wise are led out of this world, when they have conquered Mara (desire) and his train" Dhammapada

"But is it probable," asked Pascal, "that probability gives assurance? Nothing gives certainty but truth; nothing gives rest but for the sincere search for truth"