We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Skype Options

a1pha
#1 Posted : 5/20/2013 9:27:14 PM
โจ€

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

When going underground certain Nexus members relied on Skype to coordinate efforts. I understand some members still connect via Skype. With that in mind the following articles should raise caution when using the service.

Think your Skype messages get end-to-end encryption? Think again
Ars Technica

Skype with care โ€“ Microsoft is reading everything you write
H Security
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

cyb
#2 Posted : 5/20/2013 9:32:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, CarpenterSenior Member | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, Carpenter

Thanks a1pha...good to know.

Privacy?...never heard of it...Confused
Please do not PM tek related questions
Reserve the right to change your mind at any given moment.

The Electric Hippy
#3 Posted : 5/20/2013 11:07:34 PM

Glitch Modulator

Thank you for this info, A1pha. I've used Skype before for... less than legal activities, and it's good to know it could be monitered.

I'm wondering if we are gonna have to resort to using carrier pigeons to remain anonymous.
"In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves" - Buddha

Journeymann
#4 Posted : 5/20/2013 11:33:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The Electric Hippy wrote:
Thank you for this info, A1pha. I've used Skype before for... less than legal activities, and it's good to know it could be monitered.

I'm wondering if we are gonna have to resort to using carrier pigeons to remain anonymous.

I use to work for an isp and watched the feds come in and dig out data from our servers that even the owners didnt know existed and they were a couple of hardcore hacks.

If it is digital it can be traced no matter how anon. you think you are being.

What gets me is that now I am telemarketing calls from the same area code as one of the vendors that is promoted here.

Just saying.Shocked

The Electric Hippy
#5 Posted : 5/20/2013 11:52:57 PM

Glitch Modulator

Journeymann wrote:

I use to work for an isp and watched the feds come in and dig out data from our servers that even the owners didnt know existed and they were a couple of hardcore hacks.

If it is digital it can be traced no matter how anon. you think you are being.

What gets me is that now I am telemarketing calls from the same area code as one of the vendors that is promoted here.

Just saying.Shocked

How reliable is the Tor Browser for staying hidden? If I were posting here through Tor, would Uncle Same be able to tell it's me?

Edit: reworded my question
"In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves" - Buddha

Journeymann
#6 Posted : 5/21/2013 12:08:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Elec.Hippy... I have no idea about the TORs ability to do what it says it does as I have no way to confirm what they are doing is strong or weak. I never got into the low level programming side of networking and the tcp/ip protocol.

I use it (tor) and am constantly using the new identity tab just to make sure I am not sitting on anyone ip address for along period. If I am online when most users are sleep then I use the new identity tab even more.

Personally, I would not doubt that "they" are here watching our every move no matter what country you live in.

But that is just my level of concern. Id rather be parinoid to the max and be on my toes with what I say then too loose.

InMotion
#7 Posted : 5/21/2013 1:12:20 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: 3D programming, Mathematician (if you need help with algebra to differential equations I'm available), SKilled Engineer

Any replacements?

a1pha
#8 Posted : 5/21/2013 2:00:39 AM
โจ€

How reliable is the Tor Browser for staying hidden? If I were posting here through Tor, would Uncle Same be able to tell it's me?

There are so many variables in the equation that it is almost impossible to answer this question. Simple answer: It's pretty reliable but there are certain known vulnerabilities like control over exit nodes and digital fingerprinting.

Check your digital fingerprint: https://panopticlick.eff.org/
Test your anonymity: http://ip-check.info/

InMotion wrote:
Any replacements?

SILC

a1pha
#9 Posted : 7/12/2013 7:55:20 PM
โจ€

Following up on this, for any of you not paying attention to the Snowden affair.

NSA taps Skype chats, newly published Snowden leaks confirm
Ars

How Microsoft handed the NSA access to encrypted messages
The Guardian

I am truly puzzled by the reaction, or lack thereof, by my fellow Americans. As these documents continue to surface I see almost all the focus on Snowden while hardy none towards the gross violations of Constitutional and International Rights. If you're interested, Snowden made a statement today, 12 July.

a1pha
#10 Posted : 7/12/2013 7:58:50 PM
โจ€

InMotion wrote:
Any replacements?

There's a new service which is gaining a ton of attention. You might look into it as, finally, a decent alternative.

https://bitmessage.org/wiki/Main_Page

causmic
#11 Posted : 7/12/2013 11:12:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

TorChat, guys. TorChat.

There are issues when using Tor browser on regular internet protocols, http, php, etc., but anytime you are connected to an .onion protocol using the Tor browser (ie, TorChat), you are bulletproof. Just download the Tor browser, find your way to the TorChat website, and make sure the website in the browser ends with .onion

FYI, Tor and the .onion encryption protocol were created by the American military, which is why it is so good.
*** causmic is a figment of your imagination. A manifestation of your own consciousness and a projection of mine. causmic is a fictitious and wholly imagined character, and through his/her/their imagined life I share metaphoric, poetic, and abstract streams of consciousness, and although may provide statistical or scientific fact, any and all information posted by causmic is in the form of an imagined and entirely theatrical persona, tall tale, or cleverly faked photograph(s). Nothing I/we say has any basis in reality. All descriptions of events are fictitious, for entertainment and educational purposes only, and any similarities to real persons or situations existing on planet earth are entirely unintentional and coincidental. Nothing posted is to be taken "as fact". The information provided by "causmic" is assimilated at your own risk. By reading the posts made by "causmic" at "dmt-nexus" you have agreed to these terms and waived the account holder(s) (causmic) from any and all liabilities and/or consequences relating to and/or stemming from the (fictitious) information contained therein. ***

a1pha
#12 Posted : 7/12/2013 11:17:47 PM
โจ€

causmic wrote:
... you are bulletproof....

I'd be careful saying bulletproof.

Better protected? Yes.
Bulletproof? No.

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...&m=464841#post464841

(Tor through a non-US VPN using a bootable OS is much closer to bulletproof than just Tor Browser... but still not bulletproof.)

((Oh, and the fact that it began as a US Navy project means they probably control a large number of exit nodes and relays.))

causmic
#13 Posted : 7/12/2013 11:37:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ok perhaps bulletproof was the wrong word to use. The main vulnerability though is having your data mined, or decrypted (which would take some serious tech savvyness and most likely some degree of phishing to pull off). If you are using Tor correctly, they should have no way of viewing your communications or figuring out your real IP address. It's only when Tor is used incorrectly that an attacker can exploit the vulnerabilities created (through improper use). Using a regular Tor browser on your own computer at home is very safe (a lot safer than skype, anyway).

If bulletproof does interest you though, look into a bootable Liberte Linux OS flash drive, and then run TorChat.

Ok.. not quite bulletproof yet ...

Go to a free WiFi hotspot, load up Liberte Linux OS, log into TorChat ...

Ok... almost there.

Now use PGP encryption (peer to peer encryption) to talk on TorChat.

You are now officially bulletproof.
*** causmic is a figment of your imagination. A manifestation of your own consciousness and a projection of mine. causmic is a fictitious and wholly imagined character, and through his/her/their imagined life I share metaphoric, poetic, and abstract streams of consciousness, and although may provide statistical or scientific fact, any and all information posted by causmic is in the form of an imagined and entirely theatrical persona, tall tale, or cleverly faked photograph(s). Nothing I/we say has any basis in reality. All descriptions of events are fictitious, for entertainment and educational purposes only, and any similarities to real persons or situations existing on planet earth are entirely unintentional and coincidental. Nothing posted is to be taken "as fact". The information provided by "causmic" is assimilated at your own risk. By reading the posts made by "causmic" at "dmt-nexus" you have agreed to these terms and waived the account holder(s) (causmic) from any and all liabilities and/or consequences relating to and/or stemming from the (fictitious) information contained therein. ***

causmic
#14 Posted : 7/13/2013 12:35:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Also, about the exit nodes and relays.. it's pretty obvious by now that Tor is not under any US gov umbrella, otherwise the whole thing would have been shut down a while ago. Anyone can create floating points in the Tor network with enough know how. Yes, it is US gov technology, but its source has been opened and it is now being utliized by an oppressed world. Just check out the Tor project website, read their updates and see what it's all about.

It really boils down to using Tor correctly, and only visiting .onion websites which are trusted (like TorChat).

Lastly, there is quite a hefty learning curve to all of this.

It took me about 4 months of constant research to figure out the ins and outs of being bulletproof online. For example, you will have to find out what "using Tor correctly" really means, among other things.

I'm not going to go into it any more than I have...
I've provided enough information and the people who want to will figure it out on their own.

The best thing to be while big brother is watching, is anonymous.

a1pha
#15 Posted : 7/13/2013 12:44:52 AM
โจ€

causmic wrote:
It took me about 4 months of constant research to figure out the ins and outs of being bulletproof online. For example, you will have to find out what "using Tor correctly" really means, among other things.

Yup, agreed completely. And good posts above.

There is a steep learning curve to get it all right which is typically why I don't recommend Tor unless the user knows exactly what they are doing and the primary vulnerabilities. Tor can be an effective tool if used correctly but all too often I see people get a false sense of security from it while being unaware of the dangers and steps needed to protect oneself.

Looks like you know what you're doing and even if the US still had control of a group of nodes and relays it is still a pretty good layer of protection when used with other tools. That, and there is very little chance a state agency would reveal control of the nodes to capture some psychedelic users. They have bigger fish to fry.

Thanks again for the posts above. Good stuff.

causmic
#16 Posted : 7/13/2013 4:24:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

a1pha wrote:
..and even if the US still had control of a group of nodes and relays it is still a pretty good layer of protection when used with other tools. That, and there is very little chance a state agency would reveal control of the nodes to capture some psychedelic users. They have bigger fish to fry.

Exactly. Plus, the more people using the Tor network, the more anonymous and secure it will be. Tor is a great place to start, and then you can add layers upon layers of protection ontop of it as your proficiency (and your paranoia) increases.

a1pha wrote:
Thanks again for the posts above. Good stuff.

I will gladly help my brethren wriggle free from the surveillance state that has risen up around us, in any way I can Cool