CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV1234NEXT
The *Official* Flow Arts Thread Options
 
3rdI
#21 Posted : 7/3/2013 3:05:53 PM

veni, vidi, spici


Posts: 3642
Joined: 05-Aug-2011
Last visit: 22-Sep-2017
DeDao wrote:
I would love to learn poi. The music went amazingly with the video also! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.


get stuck in DeDao, a set of poi is pretty cheap and its surprisingly easy to learn, I just ordered a new set so I can get my flow on Very happy
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

it's all in your mind, but what's your mind???

fool of the year

 

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.
 
jbark
#22 Posted : 7/3/2013 3:19:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member

Posts: 2849
Joined: 16-Mar-2010
Last visit: 10-Sep-2020
Location: montreal
Cycling?

I know that on quiet country roads following fields far from the fray, legs pistoning and heart boosting to rhythmic heights and eyes fixed on the horizon chased, I melt into a zone of of pure metronome, of the tick tock of mindless cadence where no thought intervenes and all pulsates in quietude and flow.

I always referred to this mindset as a sort of zen state, but "flow" suits it better.

Can a bicycle be a "poi" toy? Smile

JBArk
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.
 
3rdI
#23 Posted : 7/3/2013 3:28:04 PM

veni, vidi, spici


Posts: 3642
Joined: 05-Aug-2011
Last visit: 22-Sep-2017
it certainly can, but you would need some pretty strong string and it might hurt a bit when the spinning goes wrong and you crack yourself in the nuts with the back wheelSick
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

it's all in your mind, but what's your mind???

fool of the year

 
jbark
#24 Posted : 7/3/2013 3:43:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member

Posts: 2849
Joined: 16-Mar-2010
Last visit: 10-Sep-2020
Location: montreal
3rdI wrote:
it certainly can, but you would need some pretty strong string and it might hurt a bit when the spinning goes wrong and you crack yourself in the nuts with the back wheelSick


I'll get some string. And carbon fiber might not hurt so much. Smile
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.
 
Guyomech
#25 Posted : 7/4/2013 6:20:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Oil painting, Acrylic painting, Digital and multimedia art, Trip integration

Posts: 2277
Joined: 22-Dec-2011
Last visit: 25-Apr-2016
Location: Hyperspace Studios
jBark, I've often found that an hour or so of steady hard cycling can bring on a state of mind that is clear, calm and sometimes profoundly expansive. The physical flow may very well be a component in this, but I was always under the impression that there was something biochemical going on, like that "runner's high" that you hear about.
 
Mandukeya
#26 Posted : 7/4/2013 11:41:10 AM

Shamanic Engineer


Posts: 77
Joined: 29-Jan-2011
Last visit: 29-May-2018
Location: Scandinavia
Speaking of flow, I've been monitoring the tdcs - transcranial direct current stimulation developments and plan to get one of these Foc.us to be able to induce flow in my head at will ...while looking really silly Rolling eyes

I'm waiting for the reviews before I spend the money though. There are some other more flexible devices on the market but the price tag is not as nice.
 
spinCycle
#27 Posted : 7/4/2013 1:37:09 PM

Life is Art is Life


Posts: 697
Joined: 11-Sep-2012
Last visit: 13-Apr-2016
Location: watching the wheels go round and round
Flow is the essence of skiing.

On a good ski run my psychological frame of reference is about a quarter second long, only what is under my feet and immediately in front of me is really there, the rest of the world is pretty much gone. It's a beautiful thing, fully alert and involved yet very relaxed.

I can get into it bicycling (especially when long distance riding) and hiking too, as well as when making art but there is something about just letting go and throwing yourself full on down the fall line and into the pull of gravity, the way each turn is a reflection of the previous and yet leads into and is part of the next turn, the way your body must quickly react to the constantly changing terrain under foot that is really special. Plus it's just plain fun to go fast.

It's July 4th and I want to go skiing. Big grin

Flow happens when you let go and just become the process.
Images of broken light,
Which dance before me like a million eyes,
They call me on and on...

 
Continuum
#28 Posted : 7/4/2013 1:47:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member


Posts: 459
Joined: 13-Mar-2013
Last visit: 20-May-2020
Nathanial.Dread wrote:


2) You could also make your own sock poi: go to the store are buy some long, colorful stockings/long socks, in whatever color you like. Then, take a tennis ball, fill it with pennies and wrap that in tape. Put that down in the end of the sock, tie off the open end, and you have some great impromptu sock poi.

If you're intersted in learning beginner and intermediate moves go to:
http://www.playpoi.com




Ok, so I got the socks, loaded some tennis balls with pennies, etc., ready to go. Then I went to playpoi.com, and the first video I watched in the Beginners area says to take your poi and hit yourself for like 5 minutes; if it's too hard and hurts, get a new poi. Doh! Razz Should have watched this before I put in so many pennies! Like 3rdi, I've got some ordered instead.
Forge a Path with Heart <3
 
jbark
#29 Posted : 7/4/2013 3:20:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member

Posts: 2849
Joined: 16-Mar-2010
Last visit: 10-Sep-2020
Location: montreal
Guyomech wrote:
jBark, I've often found that an hour or so of steady hard cycling can bring on a state of mind that is clear, calm and sometimes profoundly expansive. The physical flow may very well be a component in this, but I was always under the impression that there was something biochemical going on, like that "runner's high" that you hear about.


Even below this level, going steady and long gets me into an unusual state, without that "runner's high" (why do runner's get all the credit for this? is it because without it, the question arises - why on the earth would anyone want to run? Smile )

JBArk
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.
 
spinCycle
#30 Posted : 7/4/2013 3:42:51 PM

Life is Art is Life


Posts: 697
Joined: 11-Sep-2012
Last visit: 13-Apr-2016
Location: watching the wheels go round and round
jbark wrote:
Guyomech wrote:
jBark, I've often found that an hour or so of steady hard cycling can bring on a state of mind that is clear, calm and sometimes profoundly expansive. The physical flow may very well be a component in this, but I was always under the impression that there was something biochemical going on, like that "runner's high" that you hear about.


Even below this level, going steady and long gets me into an unusual state, without that "runner's high" (why do runner's get all the credit for this? is it because without it, the question arises - why on the earth would anyone want to run? Smile )

JBArk


In bicycling, when I get my Second Wind is where the good stuff kicks in. You know the feeling. You ride till you're tired, even sort of want to stop but keep pushing but then something else kicks in, a chemical soup of endorphins and other goodies and suddenly your HIGH. Really high. Like some sort of a psychedelic opiate. Everything goes sort of crystalline and crisp looking and you don't really feel pain in your muscles the same way. They still hurt a bit but it's sort of detached. Then it's so easy to just fall into the rhythm and crank away the miles. Smile

Of course, eventually you Bonk Crying or very sad but that's just how it goes. Big grin

Distance road riding will do it, as well as long climbs on a mountain bike trail. Downhill single track is different I think, not so much about flow as about confronting terror. Big grin
Images of broken light,
Which dance before me like a million eyes,
They call me on and on...

 
Elpo
#31 Posted : 7/4/2013 3:56:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member


Posts: 628
Joined: 12-Jan-2010
Last visit: 28-Feb-2019
What I really enjoy is playing didgeridoo. I love the sound it makes and the fact that I can focus on my breathing pretty much the whole time while playing. It relaxes me and I noticed it even gets me uplifted and energetic when feeling tired.

"It permits you to see, more clearly than our perishing mortal eye can see, vistas beyond the horizons of this life, to travel backwards and forwards in time, to enter other planes of existence, even (as the Indians say) to know God." R. Gordon Wasson
 
entheogenadvocate
#32 Posted : 7/4/2013 5:44:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member


Posts: 412
Joined: 24-Dec-2009
Last visit: 01-Dec-2019
Location: United States
Spincycle's explanation of the 2nd wind couldn't have been written better!

I've experienced the state of flow with:

- Snowboarding
- Teaching myself violin (slowly but surely becoming fun rather than a chore!)
- Lifting weights

Lately, I've fallen back in love with disc golf. It's a real joy when all your internal thoughts stop, and the fairways and chains look HUGE! It's a crazy feeling when I can line up for a 50 foot put, take three deep breaths, and just know it's going to go in.

Transferring this sensation to everyday life, as Tatt explained, is what I've been working on from minute to minute.
All posts are completely fictional and for educational purposes only
 
jbark
#33 Posted : 7/4/2013 6:37:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member

Posts: 2849
Joined: 16-Mar-2010
Last visit: 10-Sep-2020
Location: montreal
spinCycle wrote:
jbark wrote:
Guyomech wrote:
jBark, I've often found that an hour or so of steady hard cycling can bring on a state of mind that is clear, calm and sometimes profoundly expansive. The physical flow may very well be a component in this, but I was always under the impression that there was something biochemical going on, like that "runner's high" that you hear about.


Even below this level, going steady and long gets me into an unusual state, without that "runner's high" (why do runner's get all the credit for this? is it because without it, the question arises - why on the earth would anyone want to run? Smile )

JBArk


In bicycling, when I get my Second Wind is where the good stuff kicks in. You know the feeling. You ride till you're tired, even sort of want to stop but keep pushing but then something else kicks in, a chemical soup of endorphins and other goodies and suddenly your HIGH. Really high. Like some sort of a psychedelic opiate. Everything goes sort of crystalline and crisp looking and you don't really feel pain in your muscles the same way. They still hurt a bit but it's sort of detached. Then it's so easy to just fall into the rhythm and crank away the miles. Smile


Wait until you hit 3rd and 4th wind! Then yes, bonk... I have a stage race this weekend (first in 18 yrs), so I am hoping to take the winds high high high!


And, yeah, skiing - i could see that being very "flow", as I understand the term - at least in long deep powder runs. Less so in the mogul blanketed bumps we call hills around my parts. Smile Though I do love mogul skiing...

Cheers,
JBArk
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.
 
adam
#34 Posted : 7/4/2013 7:33:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member


Posts: 583
Joined: 30-Oct-2012
Last visit: 09-Oct-2019
I love trail running, something about being on the trail gives me energy I don't get on a track. Sometimes I do 13 mile runs on this good trail by my house, maybe once a month, I feel high for a solid 3 days afterwards.

Anyways check out this guy one of the best ultramarathon (100 miles) runners in the world if not the best. I saw him on top of mt. Elbert in colorado (tallest mountain in colorado) I could barely walk up the trail and he came literally hoping up the side like a mountain goat. He kinda looks like Jesus and I was delirious so for a minute I thought I was looking at Jesus, considering what I was seeing was a superhuman feat.





Anyways this guy knows about flow, he runs 100 miles through mountains in approx 16 hours.
 
cubeananda
#35 Posted : 7/4/2013 7:58:41 PM

jai


Posts: 758
Joined: 12-Feb-2013
Last visit: 11-Oct-2020
When I used to live in an Urban Environment I only found one way to relate to many different people. Being of the more intellectual type, for others to hear me speak often could not mix well with other's energy. But over the years I learned and enjoyed to beatbox.


It got to the point where I could make some very unexpected friends with which I would do nothing but beatbox and occasionally have marijuana for hours on end, wherein we would find a very collaborative but steady flow to fall into. It gets to the point where technique is locked and creativity is pure Smile
 
edge2054
#36 Posted : 2/13/2014 6:46:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member


Posts: 135
Joined: 14-Oct-2012
Last visit: 03-Jul-2020
Nathanial.Dread wrote:
Before I start, I highly recommend you watch a few seconds of this video.

Master Ong, Fire Poi




I've been spinning poi for about a year, maybe a year and a half. I'm not great at it but I do find it very meditative. It also helped me quit smoking cigarettes as it was something that would occupy both my mind and my hands.

The reason I quoted the OP is because that video specifically has been a huge inspiration for me and was a large reason I stuck with it. I love watching Marvin flow Smile Love

I still spin today, I don't take it super seriously and I don't have intentions to be the greatest poi spinner that ever lived or anything. But it has helped me a lot to get into shape and I use it as a means of exercise and staying grounded and in that respect it is something I practice nearly everyday.

I don't spin fire though. Maybe someday I'll buy or make some fire poi. But for now I'm happy with my Pod Poi (basically LED Poi encased in silicone). Much safer to spin in the house and less chance of catching my kids on fire.
 
Nathanial.Dread
#37 Posted : 2/13/2014 9:27:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member


Posts: 2151
Joined: 23-Nov-2012
Last visit: 07-Mar-2017
edge2054 wrote:
Nathanial.Dread wrote:
Before I start, I highly recommend you watch a few seconds of this video.

Master Ong, Fire Poi




I've been spinning poi for about a year, maybe a year and a half. I'm not great at it but I do find it very meditative. It also helped me quit smoking cigarettes as it was something that would occupy both my mind and my hands.

The reason I quoted the OP is because that video specifically has been a huge inspiration for me and was a large reason I stuck with it. I love watching Marvin flow Smile Love

I still spin today, I don't take it super seriously and I don't have intentions to be the greatest poi spinner that ever lived or anything. But it has helped me a lot to get into shape and I use it as a means of exercise and staying grounded and in that respect it is something I practice nearly everyday.

I don't spin fire though. Maybe someday I'll buy or make some fire poi. But for now I'm happy with my Pod Poi (basically LED Poi encased in silicone). Much safer to spin in the house and less chance of catching my kids on fire.

Marvin's a great guy. One of the awesome things about the flow community is that it' small enough that you can still mingle with people of all different skill levels, including some of the greats.

If you ever find yourself at one of the flow/juggling conventions, I'm sure you'll meet a lot of great people. We might even run into each other, although we'd probably never know it.

A lot of colleges in New England have annual flow festivals, complete with workshops you can go to.

Blessings
~ND

"There are many paths up the same mountain."

 
Doodazzle
#38 Posted : 2/13/2014 10:56:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member


Posts: 793
Joined: 23-Oct-2011
Last visit: 22-Aug-2014
Location: arcady
Throat singing/beatboxing, guitar, poetry, glossallalia plus a little bit of dance. Some of my favorite moments in my life involved spontaineously combining all these in ways which surprise me and whoever is around. Inspired flow. I can do it just about whenever I want...but every once in awhile it just emerges through me, like a total surprise, like a gift. Transcendental flow--when it's like a breakthrough.

And I'm a terrible dancer too! Still, when it's inspired, it's good. Like qi-gong plus break dancing--and really, never learnt how to properly do either, and have little desire to do so.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein

I appreciate your perspective.


 
SKA
#39 Posted : 2/14/2014 12:13:04 AM
DMT-Nexus member


Posts: 1104
Joined: 17-May-2009
Last visit: 21-Jan-2020
Your description of "Flow" seems to explain why drumming/percussion puts me in such a peacefull, deep trance so fast.
Same goes for playing guitar or piano.
 
Nicita
#40 Posted : 2/14/2014 4:05:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member


Posts: 191
Joined: 31-May-2012
Last visit: 19-Oct-2020
Continuum wrote:

poi and hit yourself for like 5 minutes; if it's too hard and hurts, get a new poi. Doh! Razz


Laughing Laughing Laughing
You can always take the tennis balls out and replace them with some rice, beans or similar stuff. Something in the range of 50g - 150g. And you should really listen to the advice, wou will hit yourself a lot in the begining and getting a hard and heave poi full speed against the nose can even be discouraging with pretty soft poi. Big grin

I train poi for nearly one year now and got pretty decent skills, thanks to the playpoi videos. I also train with staff and double staff. Most of the techniques require very precise movements and it is a really rewarding process to learn them. I have gained a much better control of my body and more left-right indipendence.
Spinning fire, especially by night, can be deep meditation for me. There is no time, no outside world, no thoughts, mostly not even conscious movement. Just the heat and the sound (those things are loud) of the orbiting fire and the awareness of the own body and the Poi like an extension of the it.

Oh, and I once spinned on 2g mushrooms. Gave me really great focus and control and made me much more inventive than usuall, since it was much easier to understand the patterns and the connection to the body movements. Something I can really recommend (with training poi, not with fire Confused )

Next thing on the shoping list are fire staff.


"Poi" have also been used as weapons in many cultures, including the Maori, where the name comes from. It is still used in some forms of martial arts:
 
PREV1234NEXT
 
Users browsing this forum
Guest (5)

DMT-Nexus theme created by The Traveler
This page was generated in 0.068 seconds.