We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Is Cannabis An Entheogen? Options

Nathanial.Dread
#1 Posted : 6/24/2013 11:00:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Title says it all really?
Do you consider cannabis to be an entheogen, or just a recreational drug, like alcohol?

Personally, I put it in the second category. You can have some pretty crazy thoughts, but very little transfers over to your sober life the next day. I've had thoughts that I thought were the greatest thing ever, and then woken up the next morning only to realize that I've either 1) forgotten it or 2) it was a really stupid idea in the first place.

What about you guys?

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Changafarian
#2 Posted : 6/24/2013 11:19:16 PM

((((((O))))))

IMO its pretty much everything medicine,resource material,sacrament,psychadelic,stimulant,depressant the list goes on and on so pretty much might fit in with entheogens i personally rather regard it as a very usefull material it kind of reaches a stopping point as a substance?entheogen at a stage where it doesnt go any further then what its commonly known to do then its just something you do from there on forward to my own experience but to each his ownSmile
The lives of all they occupy their eyes in dismal gloom the all-piercing,dead oculi - mirrors of our doom Oblivious to the trespass as you gaze into the black the demon of surveillance insultingly staring back Into you,they own your every secret, your life is in their files the grains of your every waking second sifted through and scrutinized,they know your every right. They know your every wrong,each put in their due compartment - sins where sins belong

hug46
#3 Posted : 6/24/2013 11:22:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes, but i think i have only felt that it has become entheogenic since using it less frequently. I think when you have gaps in getting stoned the difference you notice in how your mind works can be beneficial in self exploration and analysis and can lead to positive transcendental results.
But if i smoke it all day every day everything goes to pot.

Michal_R
#4 Posted : 6/24/2013 11:29:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

(EDIT: hug46: nicely written!)

This is an important and interesting question to be asked, especially among people who are mostly cannabis-friendly Smile

IMO, the word "entheogenic" refers more to an intent+context (set+setting), than to a substance itself. I think that "entheogenic use" refers to a way a substance is used with an intent towards a goal.

Cannabis, I believe, can be used entheogenically. I am aware, however, that Cannabis has not been used this way in the West much Crying or very sad

jamie
#5 Posted : 6/24/2013 11:36:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

Yes.
Long live the unwoke.

universecannon
#6 Posted : 6/24/2013 11:57:55 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

Definitely. Some of my most important life realizations, and deep psychedelic experiences have been with cannabis

Although many who use (and abuse) cannabis don't even realize it

Its a lot of different things for a lot of different people. Many are just less sensitive to the psychedelic/revelatory effects it can have, and are also brought up in a way that they just expect/use it as if its something like alcohol to get "effed up on"

As bob marley said- when you smoke the herb it reveals you to yourself

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

Changafarian
#7 Posted : 6/25/2013 12:11:26 AM

((((((O))))))

like good ol Maynard from tool qouted:“I think psychedelics play a major part in what we do, but having said that, I feel that if somebody's going to experiment with those things they really need to educate themselves about them. People just taking the chemicals and diving in without having any kind of preparation about what they're about to experience tend to have no frame of reference, so they're missing everything flying by and all these new perspectives. It's just a waste. They reach a little bit of spiritual enlightenment, but they end up going, 'Well, now I need that drug to get back there again.' The trick is to use the drugs once to get there, and maybe spend the next ten years trying to get back there without the drug.”
The lives of all they occupy their eyes in dismal gloom the all-piercing,dead oculi - mirrors of our doom Oblivious to the trespass as you gaze into the black the demon of surveillance insultingly staring back Into you,they own your every secret, your life is in their files the grains of your every waking second sifted through and scrutinized,they know your every right. They know your every wrong,each put in their due compartment - sins where sins belong

Ice House
#8 Posted : 6/25/2013 8:29:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Sustainable growing

entheogen for sure
Ice House is an alter ego. The threads, postings, replys, statements, stories, and private messages made by Ice House are 100% unadulterated Bull Shit. Every aspect of the Username Ice House is pure fiction. Any likeness to SWIM or any real person is purely coincidental. The creator of Ice House does not condone or participate in any illicit activity what so ever. The makebelieve character known as Ice House is owned and operated by SWIM and should not be used without SWIM's expressed written consent.

hug46
#9 Posted : 6/25/2013 12:04:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Michal_R wrote:

IMO, the word "entheogenic" refers more to an intent+context (set+setting), than to a substance itself. I think that "entheogenic use" refers to a way a substance is used with an intent towards a goal.

I agree. We habitually mis-use the tools at our disposal whether it be cannabis, alcohol, computers etc. I have been guilty of this. Where did we go wrong?

SHroomtroll
#10 Posted : 6/25/2013 12:05:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

After smoking charas straight from the farmer for months and months i would def say its a entheogen...

Sure it wont make you trip balls but after you been sitting on a mountain and smoking for a couple of weeks it will start to add up and you will realise that you been trippin out for awhile Pleased

But strains def matter when it comes to this, indicas are for me just a drug whereas good sativas take me for a ride if i let em.

Ice House
#11 Posted : 6/25/2013 2:21:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Sustainable growing

SHroomtroll wrote:

Sure it wont make you trip balls but after you been sitting on a mountain and smoking for a couple of weeks ....

Some of the most intense visual hallucinogenic experiences I have had are from orally ingested cannabis, second only to salvia and DMT.

IH
Ice House is an alter ego. The threads, postings, replys, statements, stories, and private messages made by Ice House are 100% unadulterated Bull Shit. Every aspect of the Username Ice House is pure fiction. Any likeness to SWIM or any real person is purely coincidental. The creator of Ice House does not condone or participate in any illicit activity what so ever. The makebelieve character known as Ice House is owned and operated by SWIM and should not be used without SWIM's expressed written consent.

DeDao
#12 Posted : 6/25/2013 3:36:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I do believe with seldom use it can play that role. But on the other hand, it can be used as a physical medicine or abused all together. There is no denying its abuse among young people.
"Think more than you speak"
"How do you get rid of the pain of having pain in the first place? You get rid of expectations"
"You are everything that is. Open yourself to the love and understanding that is available."
"To see God, you have to have met the Devil."
"When you know how to listen, everyone becomes a guru."
" One time, I didn't do anything, and it was so empty... Almost as if I wasn't doing anything. Then I wrote about it. It was fulfilling."

3rdI
#13 Posted : 6/25/2013 3:45:13 PM

veni, vidi, spici

Personally I have never found weed to be anything other than a chill out device. frequent or infrequent use seems to make no difference to me other than how much I need to smoke to get stoned.

Ice House wrote:
Some of the most intense visual hallucinogenic experiences I have had are from orally ingested cannabis, second only to salvia and DMT.
IH

hello Ice House,

what kind of amounts were you eating to achieve this kind of state?
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

it's all in your mind, but what's your mind???

fool of the year

universecannon
#14 Posted : 6/25/2013 5:18:41 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

If people really want to explore the entheogenic states it can open up but haven't been able to get there yet, try taking at least a few weeks off from cannabis... then eat some...AND once it starts hitting smoke non stop in meditation.. You'll get there ^____^

Harmalas are great with it to

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

Shadowman-x
#15 Posted : 6/25/2013 6:11:54 PM

x-namwodahs

Senior Member | Skills: Relationship & emotional support/counselling

yes, it is for me.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Hiyo Quicksilver
#16 Posted : 6/25/2013 6:17:23 PM

just some guy

Oh hell yes.

MagicGing
#17 Posted : 6/25/2013 7:53:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

3rdI wrote:
Personally I have never found weed to be anything other than a chill out device. frequent or infrequent use seems to make no difference to me other than how much I need to smoke to get stoned.

Ice House wrote:
IH

hello Ice House,

I am also curious as to how it was extracted to acheive this?
“The swans go on the path of the sun, they go through the ether by means of their miraculous power; the wise are led out of this world, when they have conquered Mara (desire) and his train" Dhammapada

"But is it probable," asked Pascal, "that probability gives assurance? Nothing gives certainty but truth; nothing gives rest but for the sincere search for truth"

Doodazzle
#18 Posted : 6/25/2013 9:23:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

MagicGing wrote:
3rdI wrote:

Ice House wrote:
IH

hello Ice House,

I am also curious as to how it was extracted to acheive this?

I usually have vivid visuals when I eat...mind you I'm not claiming anything "second only to spice and salvia", but rather vivid CEV and minor OEV. I'll cook up like a quarter an ounce in a small batch of cookies, extraction method here being lightly sautee`ing ground up weed in butter. maybe hald a gram per cookie, it'll take maybe 3 cookies before I'm drooling and happy and having visions.

Anyhoot, as others have said, I'd say that weed can be an entheogen. Intent, rare use, oral ingestion and sativa strains are all means by which I personally have had entheogenic experiences from weed--although I more often enjoy it in the more indulgent fashion.

Then again, today I was having a rough time at work. Smoked just to bring my stress down (indica, which I smoke all the time, blazed it up with no lofty intent just tryna chill)...and I started smiling. Work is fun if you let it be fun, man...don't make it happen, just groove with it. A minor revelation in itself, borderline entheogenic--yes, I accepted the lesson and had a great day. yay weed!
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein

I appreciate your perspective.

Metanoia
#19 Posted : 6/26/2013 12:34:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ice House wrote:

Agreed.

Some cubensis and a large oral dose of cannabis.

3rdI
#20 Posted : 6/26/2013 9:41:37 AM

veni, vidi, spici

Dioxippus wrote:
Agreed.

Some cubensis and a large oral dose of cannabis.

hello Dioxippus

whats your large dose of cannabis? how are the effects of the same dose without the shrooms?

cheers
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

it's all in your mind, but what's your mind???

fool of the year

12NEXT