We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
maoi activity in non mesc alks Options

highRvibratoryfreq
#1 Posted : 6/12/2013 3:05:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

are any of the other alkaloids found in peruvian torch active maoi's?

thanks!

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

BecometheOther
#2 Posted : 6/12/2013 10:26:30 PM

metamorhpasizer

peruvian torch is more of a pure mescaline source than san pedro or bridgesii. San pedro has some other alkaloids that may be sedative, and bridgesii is the one that people think contains additional maoi compounds, but afaik peruvian torch is the most pure mescaline cacti
You have never been apart from me. You can never depart and never return, for we are continuous, indistinguishable. We are eternal forever

highRvibratoryfreq
#3 Posted : 6/13/2013 11:30:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes i am aware that peruvian torch contains the highest levels of pure mescaline, however after evaporating the leftover acetone from acetone bombing a torch extract you still get left with a hashy consistency gooey sticky ball of alkaloids and i was wondering if these alkaloids from the torch would be similar to that of the bridgesii that may have maoi properties.

The Day Tripper
#4 Posted : 6/13/2013 5:40:25 PM

Rennasauce Man

Location: A Pale Blue Dot orbiting a GV2 Yellow Dwarf fusion powered Luminous Ball of Plasma at 30km/s
highRvibratoryfreq wrote:
Yes i am aware that peruvian torch contains the highest levels of pure mescaline, however after evaporating the leftover acetone from acetone bombing a torch extract you still get left with a hashy consistency gooey sticky ball of alkaloids and i was wondering if these alkaloids from the torch would be similar to that of the bridgesii that may have maoi properties.

I can say the gooey alkaloid laden resin resulting from many a dry acetone wash on brown goo from hcl saltings, that gave about ~%40 mescaline by weight, are indeed active.

This was from an extraction from bridgesii, and i can only assume its some of the isoquinolones, other pea's than mescaline, and peas with dissimilar structure to mescaline that got washed away in the dry acetone as the hcls.

Judging by the affects, id say its more of a stimulating effect, and given how tyramine, n-methyl-tyramine, and hordenine affect animal subjects in the literature, i'm inclined to believe the acetone wash products are a mixture of NE re-leasers, and maois.

Not much fun by themselves, but mixed with some mescaline hcl, it definitely changes the character of the trip.

Browsing through trouts notes, it seems like while torch does have the highest concentration of mescaline compared to other peas, you can concentrate the "others" into an active dose, or mescaline potentiation, or if you use pedro/bridgesii you end up with alot more "other alkaloids". This is inline with the analysis's on alkaloid content in trouts notes on trichos. Hey that rhymes Laughing.
"let those who have talked to the elves, find each other and band together" -TMK

In a society in which nearly everybody is dominated by somebody else's mind or by a disembodied mind, it becomes increasingly difficult to learn the truth about the activities of governments and corporations, about the quality or value of products, or about the health of one's own place and economy.
In such a society, also, our private economies will depend less upon the private ownership of real, usable property, and more upon property that is institutional and abstract, beyond individual control, such as money, insurance policies, certificates of deposit, stocks, etc. And as our private economies become more abstract, the mutual, free helps and pleasures of family and community life will be supplanted by a kind of displaced citizenship and by commerce with impersonal and self-interested suppliers...
The great enemy of freedom is the alignment of political power with wealth. This alignment destroys the commonwealth - that is, the natural wealth of localities and the local economies of household, neighborhood, and community - and so destroys democracy, of which the commonwealth is the foundation and practical means.” - Wendell Berry

ipumaestro
#5 Posted : 6/13/2013 6:40:59 PM

catdestined

this cat hasnt heard of anyone succesfully using cacti alks as an maoi for tryptamines

one could drink n-n,dmt in a salt form at obviously powerful doses while having predosed with the "other" cacti alks assay if dmt/activated experience occurs

achuma puma

ouro
#6 Posted : 6/13/2013 8:59:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

mao and maoi are very complicated subjects that tend to get oversimplified by psychadelic enthusiasts; some facts:

I think I read in a paper that about 60 percent of the mescaline the test subjects ate was expelled through urine unmetabolized. anyone can research this to verify. If you ingested an maoi that prevents the breakdown of mesc it probably wouldn't potentiate the mesc that much anyways.

There are *many* different enzymes in the body that metabolize different types of amines, and different inhibitors that target only a fraction of these enzymes. I believe hordenine itself inhibits the breakdown of PEA so it is reasonable to suspect it would inhibit the breakdown of mesc because it is very similar to PEA structurally. Hordenine is very common in cacti. Other types of MAOI may have absolutely no effect on the rate of metabolism of PEA's.

Besides the taxonomy of "peruvian torch" vs "san pedro" and "bridgesii" being so backwards and confused to be almost useless, I have seen very little evidences that any one of them has reliably different alkaloid profile in the same growing conditions. There are so many clones that fall into each of those categories with wildly different potencies, and so much disagreement about how to define those categories in the first place.

Other alks in trichocerues cacti have been isolated and noted on internet forums by seemingly reliable people enough that I am personally pretty sure they are active. I never did the experiment myself, but you can look up burnt's san pedro analysis for starters. I think he showed there was only mesc and DMPEA in his pedro extract.

Ultimately these ideas aren't even that useful or practical. Consider what material you have available and if you can get whatever experience you are looking for with it. Good luck.

highRvibratoryfreq
#7 Posted : 6/14/2013 10:37:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

thanks for the replys..

im not looking to potentiate the mesc sulphate that i have. i just have a fair amount of these other alks and was interested in throwing them into a changa blend to see if they would work as an maoi for the dmt and bring in some cactus spirit at the same time. i just had no idea of the potency of an maoi effect they would produce compared to say 200mg of harmalas per gram of dmt.

Infundibulum
#8 Posted : 6/14/2013 11:03:19 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

ouro wrote:
mao and maoi are very complicated subjects that tend to get oversimplified by psychadelic enthusiasts; some facts:

I think I read in a paper that about 60 percent of the mescaline the test subjects ate was expelled through urine unmetabolized. anyone can research this to verify. If you ingested an maoi that prevents the breakdown of mesc it probably wouldn't potentiate the mesc that much anyways.

There are *many* different enzymes in the body that metabolize different types of amines, and different inhibitors that target only a fraction of these enzymes. I believe hordenine itself inhibits the breakdown of PEA so it is reasonable to suspect it would inhibit the breakdown of mesc because it is very similar to PEA structurally. Hordenine is very common in cacti. Other types of MAOI may have absolutely no effect on the rate of metabolism of PEA's.

Besides the taxonomy of "peruvian torch" vs "san pedro" and "bridgesii" being so backwards and confused to be almost useless, I have seen very little evidences that any one of them has reliably different alkaloid profile in the same growing conditions. There are so many clones that fall into each of those categories with wildly different potencies, and so much disagreement about how to define those categories in the first place.

Other alks in trichocerues cacti have been isolated and noted on internet forums by seemingly reliable people enough that I am personally pretty sure they are active. I never did the experiment myself, but you can look up burnt's san pedro analysis for starters. I think he showed there was only mesc and DMPEA in his pedro extract.

Ultimately these ideas aren't even that useful or practical. Consider what material you have available and if you can get whatever experience you are looking for with it. Good luck.

Exactly.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

BecometheOther
#9 Posted : 6/14/2013 8:31:02 PM

metamorhpasizer

I disagree that taxonomy of peruvian torch san pedro and bridgesii are that confused at all... It is really easy to tell the difference between the three and they all have noticelby different effects and potencies..

for example biassays show bridgesii to be on average way more potent than panchanoi, it is probably the most consistant in its potency and alkaloid profile.

Now peruvian torch can be murky waters because there are many different kinds, some of which were mislabled seed in the begining that actually may be more like cuzco than peruvian torch.

but as far as it being confused its not confused at all the three are very distinct from each other IMO, and are so very different, it should not be assumed all tricho cacti are created equally this is far from the truth.

ouro, do you speak from experience of having tried all three yourself? to say a pedro grown next to a bridgesii will have the same alkaloid content is outright wrong IMO
You have never been apart from me. You can never depart and never return, for we are continuous, indistinguishable. We are eternal forever

obliguhl
#10 Posted : 6/14/2013 9:05:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

http://www.sciencedirect...le/pii/S0378874110004836

This paper might be of interest.

"New mescaline concentrations from 14 taxa/cultivars of Echinopsis spp. (Cactaceae) (β€œSan Pedro”) and their relevance to shamanic practice"

Infundibulum
#11 Posted : 6/14/2013 9:37:10 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Taxonomy of trichocerei is a touchy subject. I think that even Trout himself said that things becoem more hazy the more you look at them (or something to similar effect). Unless we can have accurate DNA barcoding markers (i.e. a rigorous, non subjective means of classifying organisms) for the trichocereus genus, things will continue to be hazy. Maybe the most readily discernible are the bridgesii due to teh long spines, but this trait can vary a lot.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

dg
#12 Posted : 6/15/2013 3:07:48 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Cacti expert

nicely put Ouro