We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123NEXT
Natural Squirrel Deterrent Options

Korey
#21 Posted : 6/5/2013 9:32:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SKA wrote:
Kash wrote:
Squirrel deterrent --> BB Gun Twisted Evil

Awefull. This approach lacks empathy completely and it's unnececairily crude.
Like shooting a fly with a Cannon.

You don't have to kill them. How could you kill such amazingly cute creatures?
Surely they can be very annoying, but they're not exactly the plague that rats can be.
Deterring them should be more than enough. The fake-snake idea seems great.

If they are too clever for this strategy you could allways make a little squirel-heaven some
distance away from your garden. Plant everything that squirels love there or just feed them your dayly leftover foods(nuts, berries, seeds..whatever they like eating)

This way you'd encourage them to rather go there than your garden.

If even that fails....Have you considered getting a cat or 2 in your house?
Cats are the fear of all rodents Razz For exactly that reason almost all farms have cats.

My girlfriend just suggested building a little cage around the soil where the seeds are planted, untill they grow older into a well-established plant. This should keep Squirels from eating the seeds while they're still germinating.

How can I kill them? I pull the trigger, clean them, and I add them to my dumplings. It's fuckin' delicious.
β€œThe most compelling insight of that day was that this awesome recall had been brought about by a fraction of a gram of a white solid, but that in no way whatsoever could it be argued that these memories had been contained within the white solid. Everything I had recognized came from the depths of my memory and my psyche. I understood that our entire universe is contained in the mind and the spirit. We may choose not to find access to it, we may even deny its existence, but it is indeed there inside us, and there are chemicals that can catalyze its availability.”

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

cyb
#22 Posted : 6/5/2013 9:54:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, CarpenterSenior Member | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, Carpenter

Please do not PM tek related questions
Reserve the right to change your mind at any given moment.

Journeymann
#23 Posted : 6/5/2013 10:36:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SKA wrote:
Kash wrote:
Squirrel deterrent --> BB Gun Twisted Evil

Awefull. This approach lacks empathy completely and it's unnececairily crude.
Like shooting a fly with a Cannon.

You don't have to kill them. How could you kill such amazingly cute creatures?
Surely they can be very annoying, but they're not exactly the plague that rats can be.
Deterring them should be more than enough. The fake-snake idea seems great.

If they are too clever for this strategy you could allways make a little squirel-heaven some
distance away from your garden. Plant everything that squirels love there or just feed them your dayly leftover foods(nuts, berries, seeds..whatever they like eating)

This way you'd encourage them to rather go there than your garden.

If even that fails....Have you considered getting a cat or 2 in your house?
Cats are the fear of all rodents Razz For exactly that reason almost all farms have cats.

My girlfriend just suggested building a little cage around the soil where the seeds are planted, untill they grow older into a well-established plant. This should keep Squirels from eating the seeds while they're still germinating.

I was tring to stay away from making 32 indivual protection cages but it looks like I will have to due the fact that it is the rainy season and I just found more seeds dug up. The hot sauce deterrant seems to be rendered useless after a good rain even with cyanpepper sprinkled right on top of the seed plots... off to the hardware store now.

The neighbor cats don't seem to frequent that side of the house but the do make pooh under the front bushes but that does me no good. May I could plant some cat nip plants over there!!!! Thats a great idea!!!! I think, unless the tree rats eat those seeds before they sprout.... best bet, homemade cages out of chicken wire Thumbs up

Journeymann
#24 Posted : 6/5/2013 10:40:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

cyb wrote:

Oh cyb! ROTFLMAO!!! Starting to bring out my swagger you are! LOL Big grin

@Korey
Thats not a banjo your avatar is playing is it? LOL Road kill and possum stew at Koreys place tonightShocked

Journeymann
#25 Posted : 6/6/2013 5:42:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well the new chickwire cages are up and working so far. Some black birds have moved into the neighborhood and seem to be waging war on Fat Grey Bastard and I have also planted some cat nip to draw the neighborhood cats over towards that side of the house.

Thanks to SKAs girlfriend for the cage reminder and the comments about the cats to make me think of the cat nip.

Only time will tell.... Confused

ZenSpice
#26 Posted : 6/6/2013 7:41:52 PM

Mostly Ignored

I could tell you that I sent the birds but I doubt you would believe me...

Enjoy the show.

P.S. DMT is one hell of a drug Wink Pleased Laughing

P.P.S. By the power of Grey(Fat-Bastard)Skull Big grin

cyb
#27 Posted : 6/6/2013 7:54:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, CarpenterSenior Member | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, Carpenter

Journeymann wrote:
war on Fat Grey Bastard

Fat Grey Bastard wrote:
I resent that remark.

Please do not PM tek related questions
Reserve the right to change your mind at any given moment.

Journeymann
#28 Posted : 6/7/2013 6:46:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ZenSpice wrote:
I could tell you that I sent the birds but I doubt you would believe me...

I'm starting to worry about you now Zen... Shocked
Journeymann attached the following image(s):
weirdo_LOL.JPG (27kb) downloaded 120 time(s).

skoobysnax
#29 Posted : 4/14/2016 4:39:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Bumping this awesome thread. It's squirrel season where I live. Planting season too. I got a whole gang of thuggish squirrels just waiting for corn and tomatoes!
Marijuana, LSD, psilocybin, and DMT they all changed the way I see
But love's the only thing that ever saved my life - Sturgill Simpson "Turtles all the Way Down"

Why am I here?

BundleflowerPower
#30 Posted : 4/14/2016 1:25:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

skoobysnax wrote:
Bumping this awesome thread. It's squirrel season where I live. Planting season too. I got a whole gang of thuggish squirrels just waiting for corn and tomatoes!

That may be the best way to deter them. They're quite tough, they'll eat the lead vents on your roof for years on end, with no indication harm. I'm not sure if there is a way to deter them other than hunting them

Ringworm
#31 Posted : 4/15/2016 3:17:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Although I respect the comments by the city dwellers that do not produce their own food. I'll comment here anyway. If you buy food from a market, please don't bother to respond to this post.

Squirrels are a pest. In the spring the newly born ones do not know fear.
We used to joke that the first harvest from the vegetable garden was a rabbit and two squirrels. Killing for the sake of killing is wasteful, so be sure to eat them.

Folks that think squirrels are "cute" have never had a food source destroyed by them. They've never had squirrels tear a hole in your houses siding, destroyed all the insulation and eaten wiring (which created the possibility of a dangerous house fire).
I keep it simple, I'm not willing to allow roaches, or mice in or on my house, why would I allow squirrels?

The concept of planting a crop in the woods for the squirrels is absurd. These creatures are practically born pregnant. Their population is directly controlled by the availability of a food source.... ie planting squirrel food will result in more squirrels.

So, aside from killing a few of them, the only lasting deterrent is having a dog or cat that scares them off, or at the very least keeps them in the trees.
"We're selling more than a cracker here," Krijak said. "We're selling the salty, unctuous illusion of happiness."

The Traveler
#32 Posted : 4/15/2016 3:26:42 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

Ringworm wrote:
Although I respect the comments by the city dwellers that do not produce their own food. I'll comment here anyway. If you buy food from a market, please don't bother to respond to this post.

Squirrels are a pest. In the spring the newly born ones do not know fear.
We used to joke that the first harvest from the vegetable garden was a rabbit and two squirrels. Killing for the sake of killing is wasteful, so be sure to eat them.

Folks that think squirrels are "cute" have never had a food source destroyed by them. They've never had squirrels tear a hole in your houses siding, destroyed all the insulation and eaten wiring (which created the possibility of a dangerous house fire).
I keep it simple, I'm not willing to allow roaches, or mice in or on my house, why would I allow squirrels?

The concept of planting a crop in the woods for the squirrels is absurd. These creatures are practically born pregnant. Their population is directly controlled by the availability of a food source.... ie planting squirrel food will result in more squirrels.

So, aside from killing a few of them, the only lasting deterrent is having a dog or cat that scares them off, or at the very least keeps them in the trees.

Very good post Ringworm.

Thank you for putting your time and effort into making it.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

endlessness
#33 Posted : 4/15/2016 3:31:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

What about a wild boar deterrent... They ate nearly all of my last year's veggie garden, even tried eating the san pedros but apparently didn't like it very much thank god.

Ringworm
#34 Posted : 4/15/2016 5:12:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks Trav.
I didn't want to come off as some "gun happy idiot" or anything like that. I respect all life. As such I have trouble seeing the difference between a squirrel that kills my plants vs a horde of worms that chooses to eat my broccoli. I do not fall for the culture bound species selectivity that seems to infect many. Well, I guess there is one difference..... my dog doesn't scare away army worms (sadly).

My son recently had to kill a maimed squirrel in the yard, and I assure all parties that it was a grave and solemn affair.

Sorry about the boar issues Endlessness, those things are huge and mildly dangerous!

The garden did well this winter:

We do however have one invader that we have allowed to stay, so he gets a pass.
It's a turtle, he is missing an arm and his shell was crushed on the edge (maybe hit by a car?).
He's been coming into the yard for 2 years at least, he'll swim in the pool or break into the garden for some Kale. I think my kids have walked him into the woods two dozen times, but he comes back.
The kids named him "Turt Reynolds" so now he's part of the family.

"We're selling more than a cracker here," Krijak said. "We're selling the salty, unctuous illusion of happiness."

endlessness
#35 Posted : 4/15/2016 10:20:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

lol that's awesome about the turt reynolds! and you definitely don't come off as a gun nut or anything.. More like, someone with experience that knows what he is talking about.

I think a lot of people that would be outraged by what you are saying are also people that never really lived on the countryside and had close contact with nature, nor had a proper garden themselves.

Thanks for your perspective, and beautiful garden pics, good work!

Jin
#36 Posted : 4/16/2016 9:52:37 AM

yes

Ringworm wrote:

My son recently had to kill a maimed squirrel in the yard, and I assure all parties that it was a grave and solemn affair

there is a reason why it was a grave and solemn affair and why it will always be a grave and solemn affair

Ringworm wrote:
As such I have trouble seeing the difference between a squirrel that kills my plants vs a horde of worms that chooses to eat my broccoli

what about cats , dogs or even human beings , should a person be shot dead for stealing broccoli

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speciesism

don't squirrels and worms have a right to eat ? or live ?

humanity has taken away all the land , destroyed wild habitats , destroyed all natural resources that animals could use ,

does this planet belong to humans or do humans belong to this planet ?

there is a certain reason why the earth burns , why people are sad with life , why pain is abound everywhere

humans have lost the way , its really more pathetic for human beings then animals because animals are still having a good time and enjoying life while the human animal is working hard , sweating , crying and destroying itself

the saddest thing is not humans destroying this planet - animal and plant life or even destroying humanity itself and all that blahhh blahhhh

the saddest thing is humanity cant do anything about anything , to support the human way of life countless animals,plants and other species die everyday

wars , murders , even the drug war , all of this is to support the human way of life

the system that humans built not only failed all life but even failed humanity itself

this the reason why the human soul burns , this is why the over-soul burns

its not really wrong to kill squirrels or snakes ,
eating meat is not wrong ,
neither is polluting the planet the wrong thing to do

its not wrong , because the right way never existed in the first place and never will

its just the way things are Sad
illusions !, there are no illusions
there is only that which is the truth

endlessness
#37 Posted : 4/16/2016 10:39:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

What does your food consist of, Jin, and where is it sourced?

Jin
#38 Posted : 4/16/2016 11:12:38 AM

yes

only veggies , fruits , rice and other grains

not eating meat,chiken,fish or eggs ,

rarely eggs are eaten, once or twice a year when some sickness arrives or something , but not otherwise

the worst part is all of it in unsustainable , countless animals must have been displaced or killed to grow that food even if its veggies or grains , and the pollution caused by transporting that food according to the capitalistic paradigm

also few years back , used to eat meat all day , so all this is not coming from judgement or some kind of bias , but something else

considering the way things are in this world , the above post is not meant as an attack on ringworm or other nexians

the above post is a reflection on the powerlessness and helplessness of the human situation

how nothing can really be done , and the only hope is some greater power beyond humanity
illusions !, there are no illusions
there is only that which is the truth

endlessness
#39 Posted : 4/16/2016 11:19:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think growing your own food as ringworm is doing is way more sustainable and creating less pain to other life forms than buying fruits and veggies on the market, therefore I think it would make more sense that you would applaud his efforts instead of talking as if it represents 'humans losing the way' . I'd say it's more accurate to say that this is a clear example of 'finding the way' instead.

By the way, you do know that nature is extremely cruel too, right? It's not like animals are petting each other in the wild and there are no deaths. There are animals torturing each other even without the need to kill for survival, there is a lot of pain, survival of the fittest, one eating the other, etc.

Ringworm
#40 Posted : 4/16/2016 11:34:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Jin,
I feel like I already made mention of this in my first post:
Quote:
I respect the comments by the city dwellers that do not produce their own food. I'll comment here anyway. If you buy food from a market, please don't bother to respond to this post.

Ohh well, give ya a pass for the sake of conversation and don't worry about insulting me, you lack the ability.

If you had been a part of producing your food instead of just being a consumer, the realities of the situation would be more apparent to you.

When I start a food or plant patch, typically the biodiversity is slim, there are few critters because there are few things growing. In the case of the picture above there was sandy soil that barely supported the grassy weeds (I know, I stared at that patch for 8 years). The soil had very little organic material in it.
Fast forward a few years, 100 different plant species bring a variety of birds, animals, insects and the whole chain.
Moths lay eggs, eggs become lil green worms, lizard populations boom, birds eat both the lizard and worm. I pick worms off and throw them in the pond where fish eat them. Hummingbirds that never lived in this area now check in 3-4 times a day to inspect the new Salvia blooms. Turt Reynolds crawls up there to inspect low hanging Kale leaves (he also rummages through the compost pile for extra lettuce). We have several rabbit hutches that appeared 6 months after I started planting. They live in the lower area. Shortly thereafter a mother Fox appeared and has a few little kids learning the ropes. When a squirrel or rabbit dies up here, we leave it on the woodline and the fox normally steals it at dark. Due to baby rabbits useless defensive skills (lay on the ground and squeek loudly) we now have a few hawks that hand out in the yard.
Now when digging in this area a shovel full of soil reveals 15 earthworms that previously didn't live here due to the lack of organic material and the high density of sand.
I could go on for days....

Quote:
what about cats , dogs or even human beings , should a person be shot dead for stealing broccoli

I do not harm the majority of critters that steal tidbits of my food. Now, if a horde of humans showed up everyday to ransack my food source, thus insuring I would not have any. Well, you should draw your own conclusions (I wouldn't stand too close to them).

I apologize that you feel so much hatred for yourself and what you deem "human nature" or our situation in the world, however... I hope you come to terms with life.
Good luck!
RW

PREV123NEXT