We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Acid for rue extraction Options

DMTripper
#1 Posted : 4/10/2013 11:49:39 PM

John Murdoch IV

I've used vinegar with good results but can I use just lemon juice? How low does the pH need to go?

And is it necessary to grind the seeds?
––––––

DMTripper is a fictional character therefore everything he says here must be fiction.
I mean, who really believes there is such a place as Hyperspace!!

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Michal_R
#2 Posted : 4/11/2013 12:13:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

To get the MAOI alkaloids out of the plant material, you don´t actually need to use any acid. IME, 3-4 brews in plain water will extract most of the alkaloids out of the plant material.

DMTripper wrote:
... And is it necessary to grind the seeds?

It actually never came to my mind to water-extract from whole seeds, but I am pretty sure that the yield would be much lower than from ground seeds...

#3 Posted : 4/11/2013 12:13:45 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Yes, ive used lemon juice. I put 2-3 tablespoons of juice per half liter of water when boiling. I dont think it's absolutely nescesary, but the few times when I boiled my seeds I grond them up prior. I put them in a Ziploc bag, folded the bag to get all the air out so the bag was flat, then I took a hammer to the bag while laying it on concrete. Ground about 90% of the seeds that way.
Smile

tat

DMTripper
#4 Posted : 4/11/2013 2:13:04 AM

John Murdoch IV

Tattvamasi wrote:
Yes, ive used lemon juice. I put 2-3 tablespoons of juice per half liter of water when boiling. I dont think it's absolutely nescesary, but the few times when I boiled my seeds I grond them up prior. I put them in a Ziploc bag, folded the bag to get all the air out so the bag was flat, then I took a hammer to the bag while laying it on concrete. Ground about 90% of the seeds that way.
Smile

tat

Didn't you get holes in the bag immediately? Did you roll it up or?
I've been grinding in a mortar and it's taking forever. Would like to have a coffee grinder but have none and don't even drink coffee Razz
––––––

DMTripper is a fictional character therefore everything he says here must be fiction.

Metanoia
#5 Posted : 4/11/2013 7:06:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I found using whole seeds vs. ground was much easier to work with, and didn't result in much loss in final yield, if any.

Rue is such a pain in the ass to filter when you use ground seeds. Try whole seeds sometime, it's a huge time saver.

Infundibulum
#6 Posted : 4/11/2013 12:19:35 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Dioxippus wrote:
I found using whole seeds vs. ground was much easier to work with, and didn't result in much loss in final yield, if any.

Rue is such a pain in the ass to filter when you use ground seeds. Try whole seeds sometime, it's a huge time saver.

I concur;

I have also found not much really difference in whole vs ground seeds; on the contrary, if you are worried do a couple of more boils on the seeds. Any way you see it, it is going to be much faster than trying to filter the ground seeds.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Jees
#7 Posted : 4/11/2013 1:24:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My coffee filter clogged up in 0.237 sec. Shocked

DMTripper
#8 Posted : 4/11/2013 8:46:45 PM

John Murdoch IV

Infundibulum wrote:
Dioxippus wrote:

I concur;

I have also found not much really difference in whole vs ground seeds; on the contrary, if you are worried do a couple of more boils on the seeds. Any way you see it, it is going to be much faster than trying to filter the ground seeds.

When I had grounded like 30gr. of 150 gr. of seeds I decided just to throw all in a pot and start boiling. I'm now in the process of filtering and it's a pain in the ass.
I think next time I'll go for whole seeds and just extra boils for longer time each.
––––––

#9 Posted : 4/12/2013 1:34:35 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

DMTripper wrote:
Tattvamasi wrote:
Smile

tat

Didn't you get holes in the bag immediately? Did you roll it up or?
I've been grinding in a mortar and it's taking forever. Would like to have a coffee grinder but have none and don't even drink coffee Razz

No holes, just a buncha little indentations in the plastic where the seeds were from smashing them. I just made sure all air was out of the ziploc, lay the ziploc flat onto the concrete (basement) floor, corner the seeds towards the bottom of the bag, and use a standard hammer. Took about 5 minutes. and 85-90% were crushed