We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
put naptha solution on roof, returned to find a mass of yellow/brown oil Options

GaveUpOnTV
#1 Posted : 3/25/2009 12:37:55 AM
DMT-Nexus member

It seemed like the TEK worked OK last time (MHRB a/b + STB on bark after) although I didn't get a lot (crock pot was too hot). So this time SWIM took his time and used something a little lower in heat to condense the naphtha into a fairly small amount, and pours it into a glass 6X12 dish to evaporate the rest away. It already had some crystals on the sides and the solution was milky white, so SWIM thought he had it made in the shade. SWIM put it up on a warm roof and came back later to find just a mass of oil, and a few tiny crystals around the edges. What did SWIM do wrong? He's going to get some hexane (bestine) and dissolve it in as small amount as possible, and then what-freeze it? SWIM thought he was going to get all white crystals like he's seen in some pictures. He used a lb. of MHRB, HCl to ph 3, defatted naptha 3 times, basefied to about 13-14, and a bunch of small pulls w/ naptha.
It must just be too hot on the roof?
Any advice? Thanks in advance-Sad

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

kaos.underwave
#2 Posted : 3/25/2009 3:04:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

lol, when I read "put naptha solution on roof, returned to find..." I thought birds had eaten your dmt.

seriously though, if it was a hot day, direct sunlight maybe, yes it could well have been too hot. I hope you didnt put the naptha in direct sun because it could have blown up your roof. The mass of oil however, suggests that either the naptha had not fully evaporated [this slows down as the quantity decreases], or that quite a bit of impurities existed in there, i.e. the oil is all your impurities, plant oils and such, maybe some from the naptha.

Freeze precipitation is definitely the way to go in future, after reducing the volume down. Otherwise your technique seems sound, and youre unlucky to end up with a mess instead of some nice crystals.

If you havent already, evaporate a small amount of the naptha brand that you used in a dish to see if it leaves a residue. If it does, this may end up in the final product, may have created the oily mass, and should be avoided.

Hexane is highly recommended by many, and if there is dmt left in there, redissolving in hexane and freeze precipitating for 72 hours will salvage the dmt, and at the same time, hopefully [if the oil mass is impurities] the oil will dissolve in there and be poured away with the solvent, leaving mostly dmt crystals that precipitate out.

Also sometimes, its just bad bark, and bad luck. Hope it works out for you, and if it doesnt, do try again; get bark from somewhere else, hexane, and freeze precipitate those crystals.
Onwards and upwards

GaveUpOnTV
#3 Posted : 3/25/2009 3:43:34 AM
DMT-Nexus member

SWIM got some Bestine and tried dissolving it, although it really didn't 'dissolve' (or maybe he didn't add enough) it wasn't like water and oil, but it seemed like he really couldn't get it mixed. Anyway, SWIM had a mess in his glass dish and after trying to nudge this oily glop around for 1/2 hour (SWIM tried to 'herd' it into one corner of dish, using a spoon so it got all over that, so he got a razor blade to kinda scrape if off the spoon, so then it was on the spoon AND the razor blade so he used his finger, which got it off the spoon and the razor blade but didn't work in the glass dish very well) he gave up and put it in the garage to dry out again. It DID change the consistency of the stuff, now it's not really a oil, but kinda a paste, and when it hardens, it's hard. It's also dark, almost a light red (sorta like the MHRB). Theat's the whole lb. of MHRB sitting in that dish now (other than what SWIM got out of the bark residue by baseifying it directly-maybe 1/2 gram) so he hopes it turns out ok, I guess we'll see!
SWIM learned to use Bestine and to not put it on roof-he was hoping to be a little more ahead in the game besides this-but there is always the Kratom tomorrow or the next day, he doesn't figure too much can go wrong there.

kaos.underwave
#4 Posted : 3/26/2009 6:28:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

never mind m8, you'll get there one day soon. I wish I could get bestine in the uk!
good luck with the kratom
Onwards and upwards