We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Using Vinegar In Step 1 of A/B Tek, quick question Options

justin4529
#1 Posted : 3/25/2009 10:31:32 AM
DMT-Nexus member

If i were to use white vinegar for step one of an A/B tek instead of using muratic acid or something more potent, is it recommemded that i dilute the vinegar? Or am i to understand that the more acidic it is, the better?

EDIT - What are the ratios of not only water/vinegar(if any), but solution/gramsMHRB?

EDIT - Sorry, I just cant seem to stop coming up with questions... Does using using a low percentage acid like white vinegar change the length of time that you want to let your bark soak? Does it change the number of times you want to extract an acid solutio from your original bark? And finally, what impact does this have on heat? Am i to assume that heat is good no matter what kind of acid im using? More? Less?
"...if all the worlds a stage, then welcome to the show..." ... this forum is an improv... and im just playing my part.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

justin4529
#2 Posted : 3/25/2009 11:44:21 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the answer....

....follow up question.

SWIM now currently has 50g powderded MHRB soaking in 400ml of 50% white vinegar and 50% water. Its been set on the stove in a pot of water on the low setting. It does not boil but small bubbles do appear on the sides of the pot and jar. From tek to tek the soak times vary, especially in the latter soaks. Though the bark is soaking, SWIM hasnt yet purchased the supplies for the next phase (i.e. funnel, filters, ect), so this soak must stay in the jar at least 24 hours. I dont forsee that to be a problem since some teks advise soaking up to a week in some cases. My real question is, would prolonged exposure in the acid wash (as in a week plus) do any sort of damage to the DMT or the final product? Would there eventually be any breakdown of the chemical or a loss in yeild? Also, is there a specific target range for the heat SWIM would want to simmer the soak at?

Edit - Also, the pH test strips SWIM bought appear to be junk. Maybe because they were designed for use with pool water. Because its so hard to get an accurate pH reading, its really hard to tell where im at. All SWIM knows is they used equal parts 5% white vinegar, to water. Do you think this is enough to reach ph4? Its very important that i know because during the basifying step SWIM plans on using sodium carbonate instead of NaOH. The only catch with this that ive read is that a proper acid wash at the right pH levels is needed for sodium carbonate to work, and STB is just out of the question.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
"...if all the worlds a stage, then welcome to the show..." ... this forum is an improv... and im just playing my part.

coz42
#3 Posted : 3/26/2009 1:11:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

A boil above 60C would be too much and would most likely lead to breakdown of said plant material. Aim for a light boil, around 25C for three or four hours to store overnight. 5% vinegar is a relatively weak acid (pka 4.75) so 50/50 was probably unnecessary but should be O.K. Find yourself a proper sep. funnel and proceed (Although, not a necessary step if you are following FASA methods (highly recommend looking into as well) Smile).

When proceeding to basify, DMT would break down at an over excessive ph. Would be a safe to say 1:1 MHRB:base should be O.K.

This thread may fit your fancy http://dmt-nexus.me/foru....aspx?g=posts&t=1748
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught. ~Baba Dioum